Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Starting last week of work!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Starting last week of work!

I am somewhat in shock. Happy excited and definitely less stressed but nervous too.
I have been saying goodbye to patients for 2 months and last week started having the last day I will work with you conversations with staff as this is school vacation week and several people have taken it off.... I will absolutely miss the people part of this but not the rest of it.

I already have vacation and family activities planned that will keep me super busy until midJune so I think/hope the transition will be easy!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Nikki MD. Soon to be Nikki FIRE!
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am happy for you, don't stay to busy.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woo hoo! I'm so happy for you.

As a physician also, I want to give you a heads up that you will run into some people who express their view "what a waste" it is for all that medical training to be unused. I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the next phase of your life!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Bravo!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #6

Congratulations!!!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

Congratulations Nikki ! It must seem slightly surreal. I look forward to reading about your adventures in your next chapter !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy every last minute of your well earned retirement!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
]I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.
What a great, and honest, repsonse!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Congratulations!! You've earned this, now enjoy it.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations!
Jgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
gone traveling

Best wishes on your retirement!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:

As a physician also, I want to give you a heads up that you will run into some people who express their view "what a waste" it is for all that medical training to be unused. I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.
It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else. If I retire in my 40s, like I hope to, and someone says to me "What a waste of all that IT and Engineering training...", I'll have to quickly twist the knife and tell them that I'll be more than occupied by using my IT and engineering skills to build and play with a gaming PC for quite some time.

In other words: "Haters gonna hate."
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else.
My boss actually said that me retiring is "a waste of talent". I said something like "awwwwwwwww, that's so sweet, thanks for the compliment". There's was nothing more he could say.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thank you for the warning. I have got a lot of "but you are too young" but not that one yet. If I may I will borrow your response!

Everyone thank you so much!
Last Monday survived!

Best wishes
Nikki
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else. If I retire in my 40s, like I hope to, and someone says to me "What a waste of all that IT and Engineering training...", I'll have to quickly twist the knife and tell them that I'll be more than occupied by using my IT and engineering skills to build and play with a gaming PC for quite some time.

In other words: "Haters gonna hate."
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been in the IT field for almost 30 years, doing some kind of computer-related job since I was 18 years old. I'm now past the mid-40 mark, and I hope to (semi?) retire in another two years.

If anybody ever made such a remark to me, that me retiring early was a waste (almost like it's my duty to keep working), I'd probably have to bite my tongue and come up with a diplomatic response. And that reminds me of a quote I read somewhere about diplomacy...it's being able to tell somebody to "Go to hell!" in such a way they look forward to the trip
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #19

Congratulations! I'm a week behind you, so I expect you to run interference for me and give me a heads up on any problems you encounter as a new retiree... -*grin*

BTW, Doc, I get this pain in my right eye when I drink iced tea...