Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
A view tax makes no sense -- it's double taxation since the view already increases the value of the property subject to tax....
NH is or was strapped for cash, and looked for any possible means to raise revenue. I found this interesting, and researched further on the Web. It appeared that they hired a private firm to define a "formula" for land valuation. The head of this firm wielded such power and authority that upset many citizens.

It appears that the state's (or was it a county) argument was that the land prices did not truly reflect their values before the new assessment. But if the land were really worth that much, would the state buy it at that price from the land owner?

Beware of any talk of "socking it to the rich". The definition of "rich" may apply to YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The view tax would do me in since my avatar is my view !
Tough luck, lady. You might have to move to Prince Edward Island like one of the poor chaps getting hit by this tax. My place in the AZ high country also has a good view, being on a ridgeline. No "view tax" in AZ yet.

By the way, these newpaper articles are old. I don't know if the citizenry's outcry made them rescind this "view tax" or not.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mini-rant time...
I just got my utility bill, and from here forward, an additional surcharge of 2% is being tacked on by NYS for all natural gas and electric.
Interesting that fuel oil is not subject. I have natural gas service.

End of rant. Aaaaaahhhhhhh...