States to where retirees move

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Retirees are continuing to move to the Mountain and Pacific West. The Western U.S. is represented on the high-inbound list by Oregon (67 percent), Idaho (65 percent), Washington (58 percent), Nevada (58 percent) and Arizona (57 percent). Of moves to Oregon, the highest ranking Western state, a new job or company transfer (53 percent) and retirement (19 percent) led the reasons for most inbound moves.

South Dakota has 2 people moving in for 1 moving out (68% inbound). However, the majority is job related, not for retirement.

That's from a report by United Van Lines. They help move people, so publish a report every year. See: https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact-united/news/movers-study-2016.

The top inbound states of 2016 were:

1. South Dakota
  2. Vermont
  3. Oregon
  4. Idaho
  5. South Carolina
  6. Washington
  7. District of Columbia
  8. North Carolina
  9. Nevada
  10. Arizona

States that lost people include New Jersey (63 percent outbound), New York (63 percent), and Connecticut (60 percent) making the list of top outbound states for the second consecutive year. Pennsylvania (56 percent) also joined the top outbound list this year.

The Web link above has a map where you can click on a state to see its statistics, and the breakdown of moves for retirement or for jobs.

Lots of people come to Idaho to retire. My move 6 years ago was j*b/lifestyle but since DW is FIRED can I call it a partial retirement move?

Must be true, the amount of new construction and development here in SW Oregon is just crazy and this is the least economically developed part of the State!

Why would anyone retire in D.C.?

In 2015, we visited Portland on the annual RV trek. Could not find a place to park. The downtown area streets all had parking meters, and I drove around not finding an empty slot. Parking garages were a bit too far, so we went back to Vancouver, WA, across the river.

We visited Portland several times before, and 2002 was the most recent trip. Had no problem parking for free in downtown, including the Chinatown. It has become so crowded now.

Last edited:
Why would anyone retire in D.C.?
I cannot zoom in to see its statistics. Only saw Maryland's, which has more retirees moving out than moving in. My best friend was among those. He moved to a coastal town in California south of Long Beach.

PS. By the way, the map is actually a composite one, showing all years from 1978 to 2016. Use the scale below the map to select the year.

Fun chart to look at and "feels" right based upon all things you see and hear everyday.
I don't see a detailed sample size/methodology, etc. but the one asterisk I would note is that the sampling is only for those moving who use full featured "moving services" (ie: United Vanlines) to move in or out of a state. It states, For 2016, the study is based on household moves handled by United within the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.

I see a lot of out of state pick-up trucks and Uhaul's with cars in tow, running up and down I-95.

That won't necessarily effect the data but it certainly would, I'd think.

Nice map, thanks.

Arizona is full, keep out. (Snowbird season).

_B

Trend Data From a U-Haul Guy

15 or so years ago, I was traveling in New York and stopped by a bar in Albany, NY to watch a college basketball game. The guy at the bar next to me was a U-Haul owner. I asked him how business was going and if there were surprising insights that he learned recently about his business. He said "In the past, the vast majority of our one-way rentals were to Florida. Now they seem to be for either North or South Carolina." I thought that was rather interesting, since I'm from NC.

In 2015, we visited Portland on the annual RV trek. Could not find a place to park. The downtown area streets all had parking meters, and I drove around not finding an empty slot. Parking garages were a bit too far, so we went back to Vancouver, WA, across the river.

We visited Portland several times before, and 2002 was the most recent trip. Had no problem parking for free in downtown, including the Chinatown. It has become so crowded now.

Friends who lived in Oregon downsized and retired across the river, to Vancouver, WA. They said their taxes will be better there. They also said most of the newer neighbors in their neighborhood have Oregon plates, so they're not the only Oregon tax refugees.

Northern NV is supposed to get 50,000k more people within the next 5 years. It has grown so much in last 20 years that schools/roads are overcrowded, water shortage, rents going up and housing prices, etc.

I guess until they get the bridge completed, Hawaii will not be included in the stats.:cool:

I guess until they get the bridge completed, Hawaii will not be included in the stats.:cool:

Apparently Google Maps has lost their sense of humor. At one time I could try to get driving directions to say, Honolulu, and it would dutifully calculate driving directions to the CA coast, then say "kayak across the Pacific Ocean" or something equally silly.

Now it just shows an airline flight.

I noticed that a lot of the states losing population are pretty high tax states. An excellent reason to leave, IMO.

Isn't the study about all moves, not just those for retirement? Many people move for w*rk.

Friends who lived in Oregon downsized and retired across the river, to Vancouver, WA. They said their taxes will be better there. They also said most of the newer neighbors in their neighborhood have Oregon plates, so they're not the only Oregon tax refugees.
I'm moving to Vancouver in May. No income taxes in WA, no sales taxes in OR. Appeal for me is access to Portland area without the high income taxes. Once I hit RMDs, it will save me $10K a year.

Fun chart to look at and "feels" right based upon all things you see and hear everyday.
I don't see a detailed sample size/methodology, etc. but the one asterisk I would note is that the sampling is only for those moving who use full featured "moving services" (ie: United Vanlines) to move in or out of a state. It states, For 2016, the study is based on household moves handled by United within the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.

I see a lot of out of state pick-up trucks and Uhaul's with cars in tow, running up and down I-95.

That won't necessarily effect the data but it certainly would, I'd think.
Yes, the data shown is the compilation from United Vanlines. There are possibly a lot more people doing it with U-Haul or with clothes packed in their cars.

Hence, they do not show the numbers of inbound/outbound for the states, but only the ratio of inbound/outbound moves. And I think that the inbound/outbound ratio may be the same of people moving using other means.

Looks like all states surrounding California are gaining lots of people... :cool:

Yet, CA's inflow is the same as outflow. I looked at the state statistics, and there is a net outflow of retirees, which is canceled out by a net inflow of job seekers.

Note that the OP in the thread mentioned this was all moves, not just retirees. And the D.C. area relies on perhaps the most recession-proof industry around, and one that isn't being offshored.

True. The blue map color reflects positive net inflow regardless of reason for the moves. One has to click on the map to see the breakdown to retirees vs. jobseekers.

Oregon and Nevada population growths are due to net inflow of retirees, while South Dakota's growth is due to job seekers. SD has net outflow of retirees, as can be expected.

Last edited:
Northern NV is supposed to get 50,000k more people within the next 5 years. It has grown so much in last 20 years that schools/roads are overcrowded, water shortage, rents going up and housing prices, etc.

Not so great for the local people already living there and minding their own business when all those outsiders discovered their nice area. And no doubt the local officials are all hyping the growth as a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom