Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Okay, this has gotten weird.....

Yesterday afternoon, the President announced to the company that The V.P. and I had tendered our resignation. He made a big deal that we were NOT going to any competitors, but had decided to retire.

Ok, no big deal.

Lots of people came up and congratulated us, expressed their disappointment that we were leaving, that they would miss us, etc., etc., etc. Very nice.

This morning, the entire technical team resigned except for two technical people who have a total combined experience level of 8 years.

300+ years of experience just (figuratively, soon to be literally) walked out the door.
Sometimes it is not clear to leadership just WHERE the real influence in a company resides. If the company is lucky, this will cause someone to reflect on WHY this mass exit happened. If not (more likely), the President will find some way to rationalize the exodus as a bunch of malcontents and things could get very interesting, indeed.

Anyway, congratulations on having such positive influence on that group of people that they viewed your impending absence as a reason to exit with you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Dude, look what you started!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

No way! This story just keeps getting better!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This morning, the entire technical team resigned except for two technical people who have a total combined experience level of 8 years.

300+ years of experience just (figuratively, soon to be literally) walked out the door.
That does it for me - I'm quitting too.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The two of you aren't moving to a competitor but the technical team may do that. A recruiter's dream!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The two of you aren't moving to a competitor but the technical team may do that. A recruiter's dream!
A recruiters dream for sure. It's funny how once a few key people leave, the doors open for many. Back when I w*rked and hired people, if I found someone good, I always asked if they knew other people that might be interested in a new opportunity? No I wasn't a recruiter, just a hiring manager.

Many talented people travel in packs.
Best wishes to you and everyone you helped extract.
MRG
Old 04-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I have some mixed emotions on this - on one hand, relief, because I won't have to worry about my team having to work in a even more challenging situation, and a bit of sadness in that I worked hard to put together a superlative team in order to make this company grow, and now that's gone.

I've been talking with them, and a few have positions they think they have lined up, a few are going to take some time off and recalibrate.

Guess there's always the yin and the yang in any change.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Wow! What is that as a percentage of those under the VP? and under you?

Did you have any inkling of this domino effect?

I think anywhere that I worked that would be a pretty big deal if the unit was mission critical.

Back in the 1980s the mega I worked for at the time decided to move our offices from the Boston area to the NYC area. 1 of 35 accepted the offer to move. I have no idea what happened after that.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have some mixed emotions on this - on one hand, relief, because I won't have to worry about my team having to work in a even more challenging situation, and a bit of sadness in that I worked hard to put together a superlative team in order to make this company grow, and now that's gone.
Is this a quoted company? It sounds like I might want to sell my holding, or go short...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Excepting the two young guys, it was a 100% hit of the technical staff ; 100% of my people and 85% of the V.P's personnel. We were staffed very lean as it was, and everyone of the team was mission critical, so there are a lot of closed doors an hand wringing going on.

Was told one of the Board of Directors (who I know, enjoy, and highly respect) is getting on a plane to come over here next week and would like to talk with me. If it were (almost) anyone else, I would graciously decline, but I agreed to meet with him as long as our favorite restaurant was part of the equation.

By the way - this is not a U.S. listed company
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #51

Quote:
I'm DONE!!!!

I just handed in my two weeks notice to my V.P. - April 30th will be my last day of w**k! I'm lighting my torch, and heading to the farm.

The last year has been brutal. But I have (had?) a good team of great people, and it helped to know that I was able to make things at least tolerable for them by serving as the B.S. filter. The only positive part of this last year is that it eliminated any doubt as to whether it was time to retire .

No OMY syndrome here!!!!!

YIPPEEE!!!!!!
I quoted your original post only to remind you what you did and why you did it. Everything else just happened.

The BOD is sending this guy down because they realize the excrement is hitting the rotating blade. Also, they probably know or discussed who has a positive relationship with you which means your visitor wasn't picked at random or just happens to be coming to town.

The plan is probably to first see if you can be conviced to stay and bring most of the fleeing chickens back to the roost. Before the meeting, think about anything that might change your mind about retiring. Also, be aware that YOU are viewed as responsible for this debacle. The most likely result is that a transition period would be planned to rearrange their technical personnel so that you and the "disloyal" engineers can be made expendable ASAP. Once you become expendable, you will be gone. It's not likely you or anyone else will be told of this part of the plan. I've seen it done.

If you won't stay, you'll probably be asked to convince people to stay or transition more smoothly. Their fate is also sealed IMHO when the department is reconfigured. Let your conscience be your guide.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

You are right that it is not a coincidence they are sending this guy - we have had several frank and open conversations in the past which proved to be very constructive.

The head office was aware when they sent the new President here that it was a problematic choice - he has a long history of being an.... well, fill in the blanks. Why the sent him here is a topic for discussion at another time. What I have accomplished while being here has made me fairly popular at the head office (our work made the subsidiary profitable for the first time, and increased profits every year for the last 3), so I'm not too worried about being made a scapegoat - and besides, if they do, it's no skin off my back - I'm outta here!

They may want to get me to stay or reconstruct the team, but I think that the probability is they would like an honest review of what led up to this and how to avoid it in the future. I've always been honest, straightforward and tried to be constructive, and have no reason to change now. It could be interesting, but did I mention - I'm outta here!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

This is just getting good. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Reading between the lines, the head office is the responsible party if they had any understanding of this President's issues before they assigned him.

If they are smart on the return trip they will lay before him a nicely worded letter of resignation to sign or a notice of termination for poor performance. Pick one envelope or the other. This, naturally, needs to be designed by corporate employment attorney.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

This is one of the more amusing things I have read in a while.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

+1 - I'm loving the drama!!! Your head is in the right place - stay the course but try to provide candid and constructive input on why the natives are so restless.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #57

Given the amount of influence you have in the company, I sure hope you were making a LOT of money there!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

EW, you are in the drivers seat my friend. You have huge leverage at this moment in time that you may want to consider applying for positive results for your employees and the company. This could become very lucrative for you too if you play your cards right.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Any news?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

It's still developing. Last Friday, all the techs resigned. So now 100% of the technical team and 100% of the technical support staff have resigned.

Just got an E-mail that now two board members will be arriving tomorrow to talk with me.

If they were coming to try to stem the tide, they're too late - the tide has gone completely out.