Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keep us posted on what happens tomorrow!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is nothing the President can say to the Board that puts this in a good light. If you have discussed your concerns with Board members earlier I wouldn't be inclined to step back in at any price, they ignored you concerns earlier - they own the problem.

The President must go. A Board member may need to step into that role until a replacement is found.

Will the loss of tech staff result in the loss of contracts? How does the Board meet the needs of the corporation without the institutional knowledge of the departing techs?

Here is what I might try: meet with each of the departing technical staff, find out if there is a leader in that group that they respect. After they announce the departure of the President offer those who resigned a generous bonus to come back with a new leader.

Amazing how empowering having skills in demand and the ability to buy health insurance is to employees.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
It's still developing. Last Friday, all the techs resigned. So now 100% of the technical team and 100% of the technical support staff have resigned.
Where is everybody going? Large groups of people don't just all resign at once unless they have somewhere to go. The entire team can't be financially independent. Is a competitor stirring the pot by trying to hire away the entire group?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least now you for sure won't have any survivor's guilt. Who is left? The President, a janitor and a secretary?

If I were in your shoes I would be enormously tempted to take lunch with the directors, laugh my ass off, and tell them "I ****ing told you so."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Any Screenwriters in the House?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any Screenwriters in the House?

Let's see; this could be an entertaining made-for-TV movie.....the plot just gets thicker. "Everyman" in the audience gets that vicarious joy, watching entire departments march out the front door, heads held high. A befuddled president walks an empty hallway, poking his head into offices banked with untended computers.....monitors blank. Nobody is answering phones. No one answers his texts.

How many viewers (of such a show) have worked in places where they could only dream of such a scene. It's way more fun than water-cooler gossip!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

To answer some questions.... the only people left are the President, Treasurer, two junior technical staff who were sent here for training and the accounting staff.

No, there was no competitor behind the walk-out, but there was knowledge that there is a huge demand in the industry for top caliber personnel. The good news is that the technical team were all top-caliber, well-respected within the industry. All but one have had at least 1 offer already, one has had 6.

Ironically, maybe half are comfortably FI, but continue doing what we do because it is intellectually challenging and can be a lot of fun.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #67

Hey EW,

It's after lunch time in New Orleans. What's the skinny?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Still in Houston - until 3pm Thursday, when I head home for good. Yippee!!!

We have dinner reservations at 7. The plane from doesn't land until 4; add an hour and half for customs/immigration, another hour to get across town......they're going to be exhausted, but they wanted to get together as soon as they landed. This is either going to be a very short conversation (with bourbon and a very nice meal) or a very late night (with bourbon, a very nice meal, followed by many rounds of schochu and sake). Either way, it could be interesting.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Watch out for that sake!

I am convinced that within that group was at least one who led the others to the exit. If that person could be convinced to come back and bring others that business group could be salvaged, otherwise they might as well close it down.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Watch out for that sake!

I am convinced that within that group was at least one who led the others to the exit. If that person could be convinced to come back and bring others that business group could be salvaged, otherwise they might as well close it down.
They probably think that person was EW.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Apologies in advance - this is a rather long post..........

Had dinner last night. A bit too much schochu and sake, but not too bad.
They both thanked me for my service, expressed their regrets that it had come to the point where I decided to leave, and gave me a fine bottle of 21 y.o. Japanese Whisky as a sign of their appreciation. Very nice.

Early on, they asked if I would consider providing consultation services in the future, and I left the door open for occasional consulting.

Then the "what the F*** just happened And why?" discussion. So we spent the rest of the evening in open discussions about what happened, how it could have been avoided, and the majority of the time discussing what options the company has from here. I pointed out that - as I see it - the options were limited, and all viable options require a significant shift in corporate culture which we have not been able to accomplish in the past. Now that the situation has reached crisis stage, there is a slim (very slim) window of opportunity for these guys to push for some changes. They understood that if they are not successful, there is very little reason to keep this office open.

Overall a constructive evening. They totally understood that the technical team is gone and cannot be coaxed back, acknowledged that they had been warned that the frustration level was reaching critical mass as long as a year ago, but were unable to fix the issues we had discussed then, and thanked me for keeping the team together as long as I had.

So now I feel that I have checked off the last professional responsibility I have to them, and can move on with a clear conscience.

Let the Retirement Begin!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So now I feel that I have checked off the last professional responsibility I have to them, and can move on with a clear conscience.

<deep sigh of relief>

Yes, you've done your part, now go enjoy life!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #73

Certainly appears that this was one messed up situation. Poorly managed at the top to be so unaware of what was going on in the ranks. Is this a subsidiary of a larger entity? If so maybe it was too far out of sight out of mind to the home office.

In any case it sounds to me like the death clock has begun its countdown for this business.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear that they celebrated your accomplishments rather than blaming you for the stampede out the door, or trying to guilt or browbeat you into coming back.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

That was very classy of those executives.

If it is a Japanese firm expat assignments that last for more than a couple years are not plum positions, add to that the fact that by tradition the employment relationship is for a lifetime. If your President looses face he may well commit suicide. They have a cultural and management challenge.

In my experience Koreans and Chinese don't have those cultural issues.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Early on, they asked if I would consider providing consultation services in the future, and I left the door open for occasional consulting.

I suspect the first "consulting opportunity" will be to rebuild the office. I may be wrong. You never went into details about the corporate culture issues but I've had past experiences with dealing with non-US owners and their approaches to US personnel. I always got a chuckle seeing how we were treated compared with equivalent functions in the home country.

Congratulations on getting out.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I strongly doubt he will commit suicide, but got the impression that he has just become a prime candidate to join the "window tribe" - not fired, but given an office with a window, no telephone, no computer and no assignments.

On one level, I feel a bit sorry for the.......nah, never mind - Karma's a B***ch.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

EW it is a prime example of what my what many of our moms said when we were growing up. "It's your bed, you made it, so now you can sleep in it".
Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....So now I feel that I have checked off the last professional responsibility I have to them, and can move on with a clear conscience.

Quote:
I strongly doubt he will commit suicide, but got the impression that he has just become a prime candidate to join the "window tribe" - not fired, but given an office with a window, no telephone, no computer and no assignments.

On one level, I feel a bit sorry for the.......nah, never mind - Karma's a B***ch.
Well done, EW!

In our organization we had a slightly different process called mushrooming - save the windows for the good performers - put guys like him in a dark, damp place and feeding him sh1t until he quits.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Be careful with that whiskey! They might have slipped a mickey in it, some strange brew that would mess with your mind and convince you to go back there!

Congrats on getting out, and for getting a ringside seat to see the execs' reaction to all the rats getting off the sinking ship (so to speak).

I don't expect to get a nice bottle of whiskey for my going away present. More likely a pat on the back, a hearty handshake, and that will be it. But I don't care. I'm going to forget about the place the second I walk out that door for the last time.