Join Early Retirement Today

Still got the " Aw Crap , I have to go to work Monday" feeling
Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still got the " Aw Crap , I have to go to work Monday" feeling

First retired weekend , so I know this will pass , soon I hope .

Over the working years , 41 of them total, (excluding a kids paper route) at some jobs, I actually looked forward to the start of the workweek. The last 12 were high pay, high stress, and low satisfaction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I call it the Wonderful World of Disney Syndrome. When I was a kid, got it every Sunday night when that program came on: Oh darn, school tomorrow. It carried on into my full-time-job adulthood.

Lakewood, I will not be in your shoes for about 6-10 months, so I envy your struggle and look forward to thinking: "This will go away soon, cause, hey: I'm retired."

Old 07-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

I think that syndrome may fade away soon. I didn't mind going to work on Mondays, but I didn't enjoy not being able to sleep in (now, I automatically get up way earlier than before!).

Sometimes now, I do forget what day of the week it is, but I remember real fast when I see a store on weekends.

What I really didn't like was work travel and all that it entails. I'd generally be gone for at least a week at a time; I have no idea how the real warriors handle it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
First retired weekend , so I know this will pass , soon I hope .

Over the working years , 41 of them total, (excluding a kids paper route) at some jobs, I actually looked forward to the start of the workweek. The last 12 were high pay, high stress, and low satisfaction.
Surely this feeling will pass soon.

I have been retired nearly five years by now, and I don't remember how long it took for that feeling to disappear, but it did. Now, Sundays are more like, "Nothing is open, nothing is on TV, and I have no obligations, so today I have oceans of time for whatever leisure activity I wanted a little more of, this week..."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

It took about a month for me to shake that feeling
Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #6

Not only will it pass, it'll get better. I can't wait for Monday. All the people are back to work, we can get out of the house, go out to the cinema or a restaurant and not have any crowds to fight. The supermarkets have lots of space and by Tuesday they are well stocked again.

Rush hour is a bit of a hassle but for the most part I only see it in the morning when I'm out walking .. and looking at the faces of stressed drivers.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not only will it pass, it'll get better. I can't wait for Monday. All the people are back to work, we can get out of the house, go out to the cinema or a restaurant and not have any crowds to fight. The supermarkets have lots of space and by Tuesday they are well stocked again.
That's what happens here too. Afternoon traffic starts to get bad in some places by 3:30 but it's all done by 6:30.

And for a lot of locations there's a "back road" way that might be longer distance but shorter time.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Rush hour is a bit of a hassle but for the most part I only see it in the morning when I'm out walking .. and looking at the faces of stressed drivers.
I so agree with this, loving Mondays and the week days now and don' look forward to the weekends as much anymore. Where as when working it was the other way around. :-) yay!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a still working stiff, I hate this discussion. Every time I see another one of these threads celebrating how Sunday nights are so great I can hardly stand it. I feel like y'all are rubbing it in.

Can't wait to join the other side when I too can join the chorus and rub it in with the best of them. I think losing the Sunday night upcoming work blues will be one of the nicer joys of retirement. Especially since in my IT leadership position Sundays are always a big change window for us. The added stress on Sundays hoping all goes okay but worrying that it will not is not real fun.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

Never had it! In fact it was like Woooopeeeee, I think I will get my cup of coffee and watch the neighbors go to work tomorrow!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #11

I used to have the Aw Crap feelings on Monday mornings. Now I have to be reminded on Monday mornings to take the garbage out, because I have a hard time remembering what day it is.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Now I have to be reminded on Monday mornings to take the garbage out, because I have a hard time remembering what day it is.
You need one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day Clock.jpg (76.3 KB, 40 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

Ah...I have only 15 more of the 'hateful Sundays' before I join the rest of the Sunday lovers!

That makes it much more bearable.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #14

You resign from Sunday Hater status and join the Monday Enjoyers.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #15

OK you folks, don't rub it in. I have that feeling right now.... And I have work in the morning.

It it was fun, they wouldn't call it work, they would call it fun.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I had this weird feeling for about 6 weeks. We retired in March. We're immersed in a total home remodel on our retirement home. I'm not sure if this made the feeling last longer or shorter. I just know, for a while, I still felt like a weekend warrior, and now I'm finally starting to take to heart that I don't have to rush to get things done (at least somewhat -- I'm a bit driven by nature). Like others, I now loving shopping on weekdays. I haven't fallen into a new rhythm yet, as the remodel won't be finished until sometime this fall or winter. Also love: if I've overdone it -- I can take a nap or sleep in. It's really OK This is good, since I'm also getting in touch with the reality that I'm not in my 20's anymore!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #17

Monday Monday, can't trust that day...
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Mondays. Get all those people who work out of our way. Stores, roads, restaurants, and golf courses are empty.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

wow.. is today Monday?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I think losing the Sunday night upcoming work blues will be one of the nicer joys of retirement. Especially since in my IT leadership position Sundays are always a big change window for us. The added stress on Sundays hoping all goes okay but worrying that it will not is not real fun.
One of my biggest ER joys is not traveling for work. I only travelled one week per month (plus the occasional other trip thrown in), but I hated it. And I especially hated trips that required leaving mid-day Sunday to be at the destination first-thing Monday morning - those Sundays were even worse than the usual Sunday-night-blues.

For those eagerly anticipating stress-free Sundays and sleep-in Mondays... it's as awesome as you hope it will be!