Still Lazy After All These Years

NookWine-n-Tinker

Dryer sheet aficionado
Greetings All,

Some of you who have been on this forum for quite some time may remember me from back in 2011 when I pulled the trigger. Also had a nasty motorcycle accident that day. Sucks for me.

Happy to report that things are going swimmingly 6 years later. I still have that repaired Harley and acquired a new one back in 2015 and enjoy touring with my local HOG chapter. Been all around CA and some of the surrounding states including NV, AZ, UT, CO and NM. Did a ten day rally from Santa Fe, NM to Lancaster, CA last year. No better way to enjoy our beautiful country and explore some back roads. Doing some of route 66 was also a kick!

Many people ask, what do you do all day? Simple answer is whatever I want! Besides the mc trips, I am an avid reader and like nothing better than to sit in my "perch" overlooking the canyon and enjoy a good book with Pandora providing the entertainment on the outdoor speakers. I corresponded with a couple of authors I enjoyed, and now do beta reads for their new releases. I also am the Treasurer of our HOA. Besides that and our wine hobby, my dance card is pretty full. The secret is to finds things you enjoy doing, both individually and as a couple. Many people say the transition from work to ER is tough, but for me it was like throwing a switch. I missed some of the people, but not the work and the constant reporting and metrics associated with defense industry program management. Others say you have to "give back". I figured I gave while I was working. This may seem selfish, but I think you should do what makes you happy. If that's volunteering, so be it.

Leaving Silicon Valley for greener pastures in southern California was also a great move. Things are not as hectic and crowded down here and we are closer the ocean. In fact, spent a few hours at the beach today and then hit a local craft brewery for a little libation this afternoon.

We were very lucky to be able to ER at the time, I was 50. One of the continuing challenges is healthcare. Premiums keep rising and we have had three different providers in the last three years. Make sure you are prepared for this as once you are in the individual market, things get expensive.

We saved early and often through our careers and have obtained critical mass, to coin a phrase, where our investments basically can throw off enough income to cover annual expenses without tapping principle. In a SoCal environment, you should be prepared to spend between 60 to 120K annually, depending on lifestyle and entertainment and these costs will only rise as we age and typically have more healthcare expenses. Considered LTC insurance, but the benefits in our case, do not seem to justify the expense. Having had some aging parents enter assisted living and full nursing facilities, current expenditures run about 60 to 80k annually.

Those considering ER, stay the course and good luck to you. A diversified portfolio that includes dividend paying stock as well as index funds has proven effective in our case. Also reducing risk, by upping the fixed income portion of the portfolio can help you sleep better at night. We have had to unload a few dogs, but for the most part got out before they really crashed and burned. Keep individual stocks risk under 4% or so of your equity position to avoid major catastrophes.

Cheers, and remember life is too short to drink cheap (crappy) wine!

--nook

Thanks for posting. It helps to read posts like these which gives some good perspective and encouragement to us who are still dragging to jobs daily. You worked hard, saved, and invested... and now reaping the benefits. Good for you. That's the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom