Join Early Retirement Today

Still use LinkedIn?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still use LinkedIn?

If you maintained a LinkedIn profile while working, have you kept it in retirement? If so, have you noted you're retired on it or changed your "professional headline" to something more generic (e.g., rocket scientist )? Trying to figure out what to do with mine.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use it - but to support former colleagues who want to fill out a network. I don't show retired, but do show any volunteer positions I currently hold.

Just because I don't earn a living anymore doesn't mean I don't have meaningful activities.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
If you maintained a LinkedIn profile while working, have you kept it in retirement? If so, have you noted you're retired on it or changed your "professional headline" to something more generic (e.g., rocket scientist )? Trying to figure out what to do with mine.
An old friend of mine I had not heard from since the late 1970's found my profile on LinkedIn and sent me an e-mail last week. Pretty cool!

I have not changed anything in the profile yet. A lot of my old friends are still working somewhere.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I immediately changed my profile pic to one of me walking by the Atlantic Ocean, and changed my title to "Private Portfolio Manager". Some people "got it", some didn't. Before I did that, I disconnected from the contact whom I believed to have been a key factor in the toxic politics that led to my resignation.

I still follow LinkedIn; my contacts include friends and family (and several former BFs!) in addition to professional connections. I like to know who's moved, who's looking, etc.- I always have. It's also fun that I can be a little more opinionated when posting in response to articles.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

After ER I found that I was no longer interested in the comings and goings of professionals in my network. I was getting frequent requests to link to people I did not know in order to pad their own networks. When I accepted the fact that LinkedIn was not going to propel me to well paid consultant, I deleted my profile.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

I put "self employed" down. Semi accurate - although not for pay.

I have more friends than work connections... I never actively built a network because I had the same employer (although different corporate ownerships) for almost 20 years. But I didn't decline legitimate work contacts.

I never accepted contacts from head-hunter types... they annoyed me... or from people who were largely removed from my work circles. (If I only new a person's name because their name had been mentioned on an international conference call - I didn't accept their invite... but if it was someone who called in regularly for these international calls, sure I'd accept the invite to link.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
gone traveling

I changed my profile to reflect retired, and I see no shame in doing that. I don't wish to hear from headhunters or former clients offering job opportunities, and that mostly put a stop on such inquiries. However, I still do not mind providing recommendations to former subordinates, coworkers, or suppliers, so I have kept my account.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use mine still to just keep up with some of the folks I know from jobs. I changed my title to Consultant. I use FB for family and close friends no w*rk related individuals.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still on LinkedIn listed as an active employee. Probably should change my work status to avoid confusion. Just got some congrats for my work anniversary even though I haven't been to work in 5 months.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

I show no current employer. My summary says that I am not looking for work.
I own 50 shares.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

I changed my status to "Consultant". I have done some paid projects since leaving mega-corp, and I may do so again if it sounds interesting and won't get in the way of retirement activities. I re-wrote my profile to reflect the increased time spent on investing activities.

I also blocked a bunch of former colleagues that I never want to hear from again. I did the same on facebook. It was very cathartic and satisfying to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

I still have my account, I changed my status to retired. It's been several months since I looked at it.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I updated my profile to say I switched careers, with my new career being my main hobby and working for myself. I still get the occasional head hunter contacting me, but always for the old career.

I enjoy checking LI to see who's leaving my old megacorp, and it's a great way to stay in contact with former associates.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #14

I still have my account, in part because I never got around to updating it and in part because it is still a useful way to stay connected to people.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

I only had an account for a brief time, probably less than a year. Got tired of people I didn't know wanting to link so deleted the account. I'm retired, my interest in finding work is a negative number, so at this point it is irrelevant.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #16

Didn't find it overly useful when working and got notices from people I'd never heard of all the time so deleted the account when I retired.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #17
Administrator

For the "company I worked for", I put "Sweet FA" when I retired. A few years later I deleted my account to stop getting requests to do stuff.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Still have it, status "Retired" with a profile photo representative of that status. I enjoy the status updates from former colleagues as they migrate within or out of employer walls.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Still have my account and I'm now the CFO of my own company! ROFL

I mainly use it to keep up with co-workers and provide recommendations. Have seen several people in my last company get laid off in the past two years and am happy to provide them any help possible to obtain new employment.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Changed my profile to "Consultant" status just in case something were to pop up.

I keep my account primarily to see what friends/co-workers are up to and to provide a contact should someone need a reference.