Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Too bad Photoshop doesn't work in real life:
While you're at it, can you remove some of that vog to clear up the view? Thanks...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think newspapers are contributing to their own decline. We get the Chicago Trib, but there is less and less of interest in there anymore, and what is of interest is so very poorly written 98% of the time. Really thinking of dropping it.
I think the NY Times is the only paper left where the reporters and editors know what words mean and almost always use them correctly. Too bad their understanding of economics is much less acute.

Ha

Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

We have taken the Dallas Morning News for years. I really enjoy reading the paper and sipping my morning coffee each morning. The paper isn't much any more, but I still enjoy that quiet time in the mornings.

Last year the Dallas Morning News tried to pull a real sneaky on all their subscribers. They sent out a form letter thanking all their subscribers for their loyalty during such difficult times for newspapers. It looked like your typical junk mail letter that most people would not read thru but just chunk it in the trash. As a little after thought at the end of a full page letter it stated that our rates were going up like 30%. I was outraged! Not only that they would jump our rates that much in one year, but that they hid it in the small print at the bottom of a wordy form letter that 90% of their customers would never read. My DH reminded me that we pay automatically thru a credit card on file and if we didn't check our cc bill we would not have known the rate had gone up.

I called and told them to cancel our subscription that I would not be paying the new rate. The response was that they would offer me a new rate with just a 5% increase if I wouldn't cancel AND they would send me a $20 debit card. I excepted their new offer and did receive the $20 debit card. I then proceeded to contact everyone I knew and told them to pass it along that if they complained they might just get a better deal. Guess what, everyone who complained got the better deal.

We just got a notice that they are raising the rate again. We will keep getting the paper for now but I don't know how much longer we can justify paying the rates.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always heard that papers make their money on the advertising, and that then can charge more the more subscribers they have. Yet, they seem to shoot themselves in the foot by charging more for their product, then people cancel their paper, so their subscription numbers go down, and advertisers pay less.

Sounds like the airlines! I heard a past president of American Airlines say, 'It's a great industry to work in, and a horrible investment'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here, you get the paper delivered on Thursdays and Sundays even if you don't subscribe. The version you get is mostly ads but it looks just like the paper. So, if you are ever away from home, whether you subscribe or not, you are advertising your absence unless you can get a neighbor to pick up your paper.
Yeah, that really bugged me when we lived in Oakland. I complained to the company numerous times.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Too bad Photoshop doesn't work in real life:
Love that! I need to remember this as a quote. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself as I use photoshop so much.

Audrey
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I thought it was used for putting under cat dishes and litter boxes.

The other thing that can't disappear fast enough for me is land lines. The stupid phone company has this big ugly pole, ruining my otherwise gorgeous view of Diamondhead.
But then you get even bigger and uglier cell towers.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
But then you get even bigger and uglier cell towers.
Here's what we get:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cell-phone-palm-tree.jpg (26.5 KB, 1 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Printed newspapers are on the decline. Tough to make a profit.

They are struggling to find a new model that works.

The internet has not worked well for them... Too many people give it away for free.

I suspect when e-readers become more common place, we will be able to subscribe to our local papers for about half the cost of the printed and delivered paper.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
..........The internet has not worked well for them... Too many people give it away for free............
Running a newspaper is like trying to be a hooker in a college town.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's what we get:
That is funny!

Here they plop big cell towers in the middle of a farmers field. UGLY.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #52

I'll bet the farmer doesn't think it's UGLY.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #53

Undoubtedly. The farmer thinks it is the most productive piece of land.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #54

Newspapers are often like public transit systems: they respond to reduced demand by raising prices, thus attempting to defy the laws of economics.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is hard for me to sit and read a paper or anything else at home.(Other than my computer screen that is!) I sometimes buy a Seattle Times when I am having lunch in the executive dining room at Mickey-D's.

Ever since college reading the paper without being out depresses me. And I cannot tackle the Sunday paper; just not going to happen at home or away. When I lived in Berkeley I would sit and read the Chronicle in a coffee shop. I loved McCabe, but the rest of the experience depressed me.

Ha
I'm with you on this, Ha. I just cannot read the paper in my own home. It either has to be in a coffee shop or over breakfast in a diner.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #56

I get USA Today but don't have the time to read it !
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Before we moved to WV, I'd never been to a tractor pull....
Well, we did try that Soapbox thingy a while back... not really that much different...