Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Lol. Actually if you know anyone in retail at the higher end stores, they can tell you endless stories of people returning underwear. Thatís why I believe the return policies are way too generous and all of us end up paying more. I had a good friend that was a buyer for Bergdorf Goodman in New York and she told me women would return stockings and bras that were worn for years and they took them back.
Yep. My sister worked in a high end women's store for her retirement job. She had stories...

They are now out of business. And she finally is truly retired.

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:

Lol. Actually if you know anyone in retail at the higher end stores, they can tell you endless stories of people returning underwear. Thatís why I believe the return policies are way too generous and all of us end up paying more. I had a good friend that was a buyer for Bergdorf Goodman in New York and she told me women would return stockings and bras that were worn for years and they took them back.

Did she tell you what they do with the returns?

I asked my local Kohl's store this question and was told return items are "not" put back on the shelf. Yet, I have seen items for sale at Kohl's that were obviously used, including items labeled with another store's brand.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

I asked my local Kohl's store this question and was told return items are "not" put back on the shelf. Yet, I have seen items for sale at Kohl's that were obviously used, including items labeled with another store's brand.

She didnít but the way she described the items, I donít think these could be resold. Many of them were just gross. She did say that they were often returned by the little old rich ladies. She knew most of the regulars and many of them lived on the upper east side. That store is a very high end store and very intimidating at least for a poor college student as I was back then. I went there a couple of times to see her and felt so out of place at the time.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #44

I remember many years ago I worked for a big Box retail hardware company . People would come in buy our paint sprayers use them all weekend or over a long holiday and return them dirty and all and we would 100% refund.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #45

Wow. I should buy stock in a sunglasses company.

Since mine seem to find their way to the bottom of the ocean, or get sat on, on a fairly regular basis, I'll generally pick up a pair or two whenever I find them for around $5 for UV-A and UV-B rated, if they look halfway decent. An exceptionally good pair I might pay $10 for. That'll be the first one to get lost or broken, of course.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #46

I know t might sound crazy , but I wear Oakley's they are about 10 years old purchased off the bargain showcase . I believe I paid 69.00 for them , but now I change the lens and it ends up close to 90.00 for the lens . I like these lens and glasses for the Texas sun
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

"Starlite" safety glasses at $6 a pair provides UV A/B and ballistic protection... too easy.
tony d tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I returned an 8-year old Kirkland Signature rollaboard suitcase a few months ago. Zipper had blown out and I had no way to fix it.

Did you or Costco have the necessary proof that you were within the 10 year warranty? My guess is that most people could not find their receipt after a year or two if their life depended on it.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #49

Opposite experience. DW had glasses of 16 months. They were never right. She went in a few times. On the last occasion the lady in Costco optical dept. looked at DW, looked at the glasses, and said that the frames should not have been sold to DW. Not certain why..something about size of frame and lens.

Took the glasses. Rang a full refund through on two pairs. DW picked out two new frames, Costco made up the new glasses. DW paid the difference in cost only after a full refund of the other two pair.

We were surprised, and pleased. Great service.

Agree that you must have had an inexperienced clerk.

I was told by a vendor who sells to Costco in Canada that Costco is tough customer. A Costco vendor MUST agree to take back any returned item to Costco for full credit from the vendor. No ifs, ands, or buts. If Costco takes it back, the vendor has to take it back. This is apparently standard vendor T's and C's at Costco. All Costo seems to insist on is some original packaging and a bill. Sometimes not even the bill.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d tiger View Post
"Starlite" safety glasses at $6 a pair provides UV A/B and ballistic protection... too easy.
Sweet! They look pretty cool, too.

I just checked, and at least one style is $6.12 for a box of 10 on Amazon. I think I'll order a box for the boat. Hand them out to the guests and crew!

Maybe I could clean them with used dryer sheets and save on eyeglass wipes.

I'll be honest, I have a hard time working up sympathy for anyone who looses a $150 pair of (non-prescription) sunglasses over the side, sits on or scratches them. Sunglasses should be considered disposable if you lead any kind of active life.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Strange return experience at Costco
Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #51

Strange return experience at Costco

Just a few comments on the eyewear industry. DD is a sunglass designer. She works for the major competitor which just merged with Luxotica. Headquarters are now in France. Virtually all eyewear are cloned products that may look alike but in reality are sourced from China with very different cost specs and then sold under different brand names, but are not identical in quality. In order to get into a store like Costco, or Walmart, the store tells the company (whether it is Luxotica, Essilor or a smaller vendor ) how much they will be paid per scu. The vendor, no matter who it is then uses materials (100% sourced from China) that fit the pricing that is dictated to them. If the vendors don't accept the pricing limitations they won't get the business. So the materials in glasses may very well not be the same in the Costco pair as the same brand sold in Bergdorfs or some other high end department store, despite the licensed name, such as Rayban or Maui Jim or fill in the blank. There are huge differences between "value", "mid tier" and "luxury" styles, all of which try to emulate the same trends and shapes that are popular.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #52

Quote:
Good sunglasses are expensive. Honestly I agree with the sales person. 12-18 months of use for a $60 pair of sunglasses seems very reasonable. It would not occur to me to return such an old reasonably priced item after such long period of use. I think return policies can sometimes be too loose and of course we all end up paying more for the price of goods.
I can take thousands of steps a day with my full body weight on a pair of $60 runners and they'll also last 12 - 18 months.

Glasses sit on your head and receive virtually NO wear. They should last at least a decade or more without wearing out.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #53

It's always interesting to see the variety of perspectives on this forum. I will almost always avoid returning things because I just don't want to deal with the hassle. So if I do decide to return an item it's because I feel in principle the item should have lasted longer than it did.

When I was in line to return the sunglasses, there were two people in front of me. The first one was returning a half eaten box of Cheerios. The second one returned a fully cooked piece of steak that he thought had too much fat in it. Of course they took both items back without issue. I would have felt really foolish returning either of those items.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Did you or Costco have the necessary proof that you were within the 10 year warranty? My guess is that most people could not find their receipt after a year or two if their life depended on it.
I returned an electric pencil sharpener without a receipt. The Costco clerk looked up the record of the sale on the computer at their service desk. It was maybe a year after the sale -- I don't know why they wouldn't have similar records going back several years.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Just a few comments on the eyewear industry.

... So the materials in glasses may very well not be the same in the Costco pair as the same brand sold in Bergdorfs or some other high end department store, ...
OK, thanks for the insider info, but how does the consumer distinguish (may not be the same, or are not the same?)? Costco does seem to push vendors for high quality at a low(er) price. If I go by price alone, I can't I tell real value from a high markup.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I can take thousands of steps a day with my full body weight on a pair of $60 runners and they'll also last 12 - 18 months.

Glasses sit on your head and receive virtually NO wear. They should last at least a decade or more without wearing out.

You can also drop your glasses, step on them, sit on them. If thereís an obvious defect in workmanship, thatís very different from normal wear and tear and damages not related to normal use.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Do they allow customers to take them to the fitting rooms? Could have been someone that did a 'switch out' in the fitting room with the bra she wore into the store, to take home a new one...
Old 07-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
When I was in line to return the sunglasses, there were two people in front of me. The first one was returning a half eaten box of Cheerios. The second one returned a fully cooked piece of steak that he thought had too much fat in it. Of course they took both items back without issue. I would have felt really foolish returning either of those items.

OMG. Thatís the craziness those type of return policies invite. And who pays for all of that?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
That is so off the scale to me I'm having a hard time believing you... except... my sister worked in retail and has those stories. So I believe you. Cheerios? Really? Sheesh.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That is so off the scale to me I'm having a hard time believing you... except... my sister worked in retail and has those stories. So I believe you. Cheerios? Really? Sheesh.
It was pretty funny to watch actually. The guy returning the steak had to be in his late 70s or early 80s. He brought the steak back in a garbage bag and took it out onto the counter where it dripped all over the place. He then went on and on telling the cashier how he had four different people try the steak and they all agreed it wasn't good. I could tell the cashier was ready to just give him the credit and move on but she didn't want to interrupt him, so he continued talking about what a good cook he was and if the steak came out this bad it had to be because it was bad meat. It was pretty entertaining.

Ready is offline   Reply With Quote