Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh no. What have I started?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Oh no. What have I started?
It looks like you started to make others feel "all the more glad that they are also RE!" So you have done some good today.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
" My reaction was "my personal plan does not include mega-corp after the end of the first quarter".
I was faculty at a major university, and the head of my unit decided he wanted such a personal plan. Yet another piece of paperwork from a bloated bureaucracy. So, the first line of my personal plan narrative was (in bolded all-caps that I won't use here) "I'm retiring in 10 months, at the end of the year." I figured this would let them plan for my absence.

When I filed my formal resignation letter nine months later, it turned out to be a surprise to the administrators because no one actually read the annual review materials from the faculty. Thus confirming, once again, the wisdom of my decision.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I was faculty at a major university, and the head of my unit decided he wanted such a personal plan. Yet another piece of paperwork from a bloated bureaucracy. So, the first line of my personal plan narrative was (in bolded all-caps that I won't use here) "I'm retiring in 10 months, at the end of the year." I figured this would let them plan for my absence.

When I filed my formal resignation letter nine months later, it turned out to be a surprise to the administrators because no one actually read the annual review materials from the faculty. Thus confirming, once again, the wisdom of my decision.
I was amused that when I had my last performance review in January (2007) my manager wanted to discuss my performance improvement plans for the coming year, even though he knew my last day was February 28th.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I am so looking forward to operationalizing RE!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am so looking forward to operationalizing RE!
Eek! I so miss the business world.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Years ago, a cow*rker went out to lunch on a Friday and didn't come back. He was at a local establishment, drinking a margarita, and thinking about going back to the office when he decided to take advantage of an early out offer that ended at COB that day.
That reminds me of one guy on the police department who filled out all the retirement paperwork at the Personnel Section but neglected to mention it to anyone in the Police Department. He didn't show up for work and when they called him at home he said "I don't work there anymore. I'm retired."

For me it was all well thought out and planned, I even wrote a memo announcing my impending retirement, without which they could not transfer someone else in to take my place before I left. Given the complexity of the work (criminal investigation/computer forensics) I thought it would be a "dump job" to not give the new guy some overlap time to ease him in.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Given the complexity of the work (criminal investigation/computer forensics) I thought it would be a "dump job" to not give the new guy some overlap time to ease him in.
I sort of feel the same way. 33 years ago the person I replaced in school based mental health services, just left. I feel obligated the write out specific procedures for what my replacement will actually have to do. If its a new person right out of grad school or teaching, they will think that all they have to do is see little kids. That's a complete understatement. I've already come up with 42 responsibilities that the are not listed anywhere but which if are not done precisely as the are supposed to be done, the new person and everyone around them is going to be in really deep do-do.

I figure I have a year to put this together, but if I should just leave this year because of a sudden unexpected influx of cash, I will have at least gotten it started.

I just heard that two of my colleagues from the 70's have unexpectantly decided to retire this year instead of next year. They both promised me they'd go out with me. Looks like I'm the last man standing.

Z
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Absolutely hilarious...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Not quite there yet.
I began seriously planning for retirement about five years ago.
At that time I received options for a large amount of stock which would vest for me in March this year. Gave my official notice to superior in January.
Am now in my last three weeks till early April, which will be my anniversary date and will be paid for several weeks' vacation during April.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My boss is on her second term of office. Two terms is the limit. It's likely that I will be one of the people considered to take her place 3-4 years from now. I reckon I should have at least 90% of my ducks in a row right about then. I might not be the only person getting an epiphany.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

My plan involves mistletoe tied to my belt.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
In the front or in the back?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In the front or in the back?
Appropriate adaptation as needed!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sort of... I announced it on Wednesday. Signed the paperwork on Thursday. Last day was that Friday. It was that quick.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
One of my former co-w*rkers beat you to it. She actually did it giving me the inspiration for this post.

This action is USELESS without pictures.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #58

Epiphany is by definition sudden. Epiphany happens...to some of us. Its what you do with it that matters. Quitting work the next day may well be a waste of revelation. Take a deep breath, think, dream dreams, let them happen.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had a five year management contract that ended June 30th. So I talked to the board about ending our relationship then. They said nothing. Weeks went by. June 30th came and went. Then on July 7th, they said they would accept my decision. But no planning had been done. So we agreed on 30 days transition and on August 7th I was free!

At that point I decided to do some serious planning. Built a rolling 5-year financial plan and budget. Did some serious portfolio work. That was 7 years ago. So far so good...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #60

My magacorp boss pulled me into office and let me in on his secret ... he was retiring today and my job was eliminated - due to a contract loss - in Oct (14 months away).

Used the time - 14 months - wisely; FIRED and haven't been back to the building since.