Suggestions for finding PT W*rk in ER move to Charlotte, NC

DougViages

Recycles dryer sheets
The DW and I are building a house outside of Charlotte, NC (Belmont). This is really ER for us, as we are close to 60 YO. The wife is a pharmacist, and is applying for a NC practise license. I have a business/financial background (MBA, non-practise CPA), with the last decade in construction/contracting firms in MI. We both want to work PT for a while (Two to four years). FIRE says we are in excellent shape, by the way.

I think that it will be easier for the DW, as pharmacists seem always in demand. Any suggestions on my approach to this situation? The house is breaking ground right now, and we should move in April. My brother & SIL already live in the area, and are a source of some contacts.:D

You are right, she'll find an easier time than you, but perhaps you could consider doing some tax work, dusting off that CPA, if nothing else turns up.
Congrats, Charlotte is a lovely area with lots to do!

I used to live in Belmont 25 years ago!

Not sure what type construction, but I know they are getting ready to build a major freeway up there in Monroe (Union County) on the other side of Charlotte from where you are. And possibly a second major road in your neck of the woods in Gaston County (the Garden Parkway they call it). There will be lots of construction work and construction engineering/inspection work coming out of these jobs. May be something there with the contractors or their consultants/inspectors/QA teams if your background overlaps there anywhere.

Otherwise, my contacts in charlotte say there isn't a lot going on in residential or commercial development compared to a few years ago. Still a hangover from the 2008 downturn. Not saying there are no jobs, just that the boom times haven't quite returned.

Back
Top Bottom