Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Suggestions for things to do --Seattle/Vancouver area
Old 02-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I second Wild Ginger
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I third Wild Ginger.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The Olympic Peninsula is great. Also the drive along the Columbia river down by Portland is beautiful.

You are going at the right time. The Northern Peninsula of Washington is a Temperate Rain Forest. If I remember correctly, July is the month with the lowest number of inches of rainfall. Many of the months get incredible amounts of rain.

Be sure to take some hiking gear (pack, water, basic first-aid kit, etc). And by all means get hiking boots of some sort, do not rely on tennis shoes. Some of the terrain is mountainous and/or wet. Hicking boots or at least shoes will reduce the chances of slip/fall.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Or Sunday brunch at Salty's.
Had Sunday brunch at Salty's this morning (Redondo Beach, not Alki Point.) The bad news is that at $30.00 per person I can't claim to have lived below my means today. The good news is that the food is great, lots of interesting things I don't normally get to eat, and at 5:30 this evening I'm still stuffed. Great service and nice water views.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
Thank you all so much for your many suggestions. I think our itinerary will definitely include most of the recommendations-- like:

After our planned trip exploring San Juan Islands (over 5 days) and harbor cruise , we will

3 days - Vancouver/Victoria --Butchart Gardens (fireworks PM), Empress Hotel, Stanley, biking, then
3 days - ferry to Port Angeles Olympic Peninsula, Hurricane Ridge, Forks (rainforest)
3 days - Colombia Gorge area, Mt Ranier, Mt. St Helens
Then back to Seattle for our flight home.

Where is Ivar's Salmon House so that we can eat there?

Does this itinerary sound doable or is it too ambitious? I want to enjoy a slow pace not feel rushed.

Thanks again for your kindness.
Sounds too much like a driving vacation. I would skip Vancouver and do it on a subsequent trip. Stanley Park is still a mess from windstorms with many of the trails remain closed. Give them time to fix it up. I would also do either the gorge or the Olympic Pen, but not both.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure what the OP travelers enjoy, but were it me I would easily use10 days looking around Seattle then on to the Peninsula. On the Peninsula go hiking! Hike from Hurricane Ridge, hike some of the trails South of Crescent Lake. Go on to Clallam Bay and the Indian Res at Neah Bay. Go salmon fishing, or if you want wait until you get down on the coast and go out of Westport.

While still on the NW peninsula, drive to Lake Ozette. Do some canoeing, and definitely walk the trail down to Cape Alava at the beach. I think it's a bit more than 3 miles.

The rain forest is just south down hiway 101. There are so many possibilities, that I would get an Olympic Peninsula Guidebook and see what appeals. I very nice upscale beach experience would be a night or 2 at Kalaloch Lodge.

Easy return to Seattle south on Hiway 101 then east on secondary roads skirting the south end of the Olympic range to Olympia and back on I5 for the short drive to Seattle.

If you have more time, continue south on 101, then pick a side route to the very different sand bar beaches of the southern coast.

Ha
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I agree that to try to do Ranier, St. Helen and the Columbia River Gorge in 3 days is REALLY pushing it. The distances involved, and the things to see are too much for that timeframe.

Take your time and enjoy NW Washington. I am a native Oregonian so I don't get excited about Ranier but St. Helen is easily a full day on and around the mountain. Use your "excess" time to explore Seattle, don't rush off the the airport only to see a beautiful part of the world out the window of your aircraft.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I agree that to try to do Ranier, St. Helen and the Columbia River Gorge in 3 days is REALLY pushing it. The distances involved, and the things to see are too much for that timeframe.
Take your time and enjoy NW Washington.
AMEN!! Personally I am a mountain guy and Rainier and the Cascades are some of the most outstanding scenery there is. However, you have your schedule full and the Olympic pennisula has lots of good stuff--including some interesting wineries outside Port Angeles if that is your thing. Hurricane Ridge will take a day by itself to be properly enjoyed.
Use the three days planned for Rainier and Columbia River to fully enjoy ther rest of your schedule. You could easily spnd a week on Vancouver Island! A day in Seattle proper will not even scratch the surface--I know of visitors who think a day at the Pike Place market alone is time well spent.
Have a great trip and come back the next summer for more:-)
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Elysian brewpub on Pike and (I think) 23rd.

great beer, good food.

I highly recommend Port Townsend as a place on the peninsula to visit as well. Great views, lots of nice day trips.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Port Townsend
Oh, yeah. Their city motto is "We're all here because we're not all there." They have a wild vehicle race there in the summer. The average one wins. It has to go on land, sea and mud.

Also, if it suits you, consider visiting the Boeing Museum of Flight, behind Boeing Fiield. And then there are the Ducks--tour of the city.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Sigh - been a while since 1964 - I don't suppose the 45th street Looking Glass Tavern(U district) featuring Logi - beers during Happy hour is still there.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - Pike Place used to be fun in the days when the police patroled in pairs at night and one usually had a German Shepard.

By the last visit in the early 90's - a well oiled tourist trap - I mean really purty.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

A San Juan Island suggestion: if there is a low tide during the day when you are there, then go to False Bay:

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&z...45061&t=h&om=1

Although about a mile in diameter, it is only about 8-10 feet deep, and empties out at lower low tide. Walking out along the undulating bottom, looking into seawater ponds and so forth, is really a fun experience, and something you won't forget. Plan on about 2 hours. Either wear flip-flops, or go in bare feet (better).

False Bay is near South Beach, American Camp, and Cattle Point, so it may be convenient to your itinerary, if you are going down that way anyway. There is (or was) a small parking area at the head of the bay, on False Bay Drive.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote