Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 489
What about Winter Park, CO? I believe it meets all your stated criteria, although I am not sure about the cost of housing. It's certainly much lower than Vail or Aspen or Tahoe, but I'd guess higher than Brian Head and the other locales you listed. A huge advantage to Winter Park is its relatively close access to Denver, a world-class city IMHO. Just a bit over 1 hour by car at a leisurely pace.
__________________

__________________
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,673
All neat places and I have been to a few of them.. can you keep posting to this thread or start a new thread when you start these trips?
__________________

__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
What about Winter Park, CO? I believe it meets all your stated criteria, although I am not sure about the cost of housing. It's certainly much lower than Vail or Aspen or Tahoe, but I'd guess higher than Brian Head and the other locales you listed. A huge advantage to Winter Park is its relatively close access to Denver, a world-class city IMHO. Just a bit over 1 hour by car at a leisurely pace.
Looks like we need to add Winter Park to the list. Seems like some of the more affordable real estate near a Colorado resort. Are there others I'm missing as we are flying into Denver in a month or so and could have boots on the ground.
__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Looks like we need to add Winter Park to the list. Seems like some of the more affordable real estate near a Colorado resort. Are there others I'm missing as we are flying into Denver in a month or so and could have boots on the ground.
Glenwood Springs would be my top choice. Very pretty, nice fun town with lots to do, close to a small local ski hill called Sunlight and an hour from Aspen. Not too far from Colorado's wine country as well in Palisade.
You could also throw Gunnison into the mix being close to another Colorado gem, Crested Butte. Gunnison is the home of Western State University. It is a little remote though.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Looks like we need to add Winter Park to the list. Seems like some of the more affordable real estate near a Colorado resort. Are there others I'm missing as we are flying into Denver in a month or so and could have boots on the ground.

The only thing that I would warn about is AC... we stayed one night on our long vacation at Winter Park... and it was 'hot'... in the mid to high 80s... and the very nice resort had no AC... it was not comfortable in the condo even with the fan... eventually it cooled down at night, but it is not a place I would want to stay long term....

Also, not really much to do unless you want to mountain bike the slopes...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The only thing that I would warn about is AC... we stayed one night on our long vacation at Winter Park... and it was 'hot'... in the mid to high 80s... and the very nice resort had no AC... it was not comfortable in the condo even with the fan... eventually it cooled down at night, but it is not a place I would want to stay long term....

Also, not really much to do unless you want to mountain bike the slopes...
Winter Park is essentially a day trip destination for Denverites. In fact the ski area until recently was owned by Denver Parks. So the city never really developed like other CO resorts because few folks ever spent the night or never spent more than a night.
I agree with you. Kind of a boring place in summer.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,517
Why not rent for the summer? That way, you have no hassles with renters, maintenance etc. And you can change where you summer each year if you wish.
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,319
Looks like Vail CO is trying to implement plans to reduce the number of part year residents by purchasing deed restrictions on new homes/apartments that are sold. According to the newspaper article 90% of homes that have been sold since 2010 are to second home owners causing the prices to go up so that full time residents (local workers) can't afford to live there. Don't really understand all the details on how this will work but the link below is the article.

Vail adopts ‘bold’ plan that calls for 1,000 new deed-restricted homes | VailDaily.com
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
Willers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

After spending some time online we've added some new places to visit. My criteria is relatively low housing cost (which rules out Telluride, Aspen, Tahoe, etc) with a small/medium town nearby. The isolated resort areas with no town seem lacking to me. Even a town of 3000-10,000 seems like it has more going on, some level of healthcare and restaurants beyond base lodge snack bars and god awful expensive tourist dining. Having a small city within an hour or so is good too IMO.

Some possibilities at this point:

Bear Lake Idaho/Utah
Eden Utah
Brian Head Utah
Sandpoint ID
Bend OR
Wenatchee WA
Ruidoso NM
Driggs ID
We had Sandpoint on our list too. Reasonable size and close to CDA and Spokane. Beautiful Lake and good sking, but we decided that the winters were just too gray for us.

We also looked at Driggs, but it was just too small.

Regarding housing costs, some of the towns still haven't quite recovered from the downturn (ours hasn't) so there are still pockets of value.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________
If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do. - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Why not rent for the summer? That way, you have no hassles with renters, maintenance etc. And you can change where you summer each year if you wish.

We are looking to winter in our fifth wheel and have a base for the summers that can at least somewhat pay for itself during the winter. I can't imagine the flip would work. A condo available for short term rental in Arizona or Texas wouldn't be worth much in the summer.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
We are looking to winter in our fifth wheel and have a base for the summers that can at least somewhat pay for itself during the winter. I can't imagine the flip would work. A condo available for short term rental in Arizona or Texas wouldn't be worth much in the summer.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I wasn't clear. My suggestion was not to buy at all. Live the winter in your 5th wheel and rent a condo in the mountains for the summer. I don't know if it is feasible for you to live without a home base, but it does give you a lot of flexibility.
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I wasn't clear. My suggestion was not to buy at all. Live the winter in your 5th wheel and rent a condo in the mountains for the summer. I don't know if it is feasible for you to live without a home base, but it does give you a lot of flexibility.

Our thought is to live full time in the camper for perhaps a year or two while we find the 'perfect place' to settle. I think we need one permanent location after that to buy but then snowbird or parts of the year on the road. A ski house/condo as the base may make sense. I still need to dig into the economics of ownership/ winter rental.




Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 93
We are doing this ....sort of....but rather we are moving to a ski town permanently. In fact in two weeks!

We live in Europe and our town is in the Austrian alps.

Having owned a holiday home there for two years we're now taking the plunge and moving permanently as a precursor to retirement.

Last season I was able to ski around 30 days and this season aiming for more. The summers are also great with lots of hiking and biking.
__________________
Cap_Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 432
We had a cabin up by the Royal Gorge outside of Canon City. Monarch ski area was about an hour and 10 minutes away. Loved it, but sold it when we retired and moved from Houston to Reno (Mt. Rose and Northstar resorts are about a 35 minute drive).
I fly fish, so I loved the mountain areas in summer (particularly as a contrast to Houston summers). Salida might go on your list; Monarch is 15 minutes from it.
__________________
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 432
Love Glenwood; Grandad's cabin was past Carbondale by Redstone, right off the Crystal River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Glenwood Springs would be my top choice. Very pretty, nice fun town with lots to do, close to a small local ski hill called Sunlight and an hour from Aspen. Not too far from Colorado's wine country as well in Palisade.
You could also throw Gunnison into the mix being close to another Colorado gem, Crested Butte. Gunnison is the home of Western State University. It is a little remote though.
__________________
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 24
We live in Utah and bought a condo in Park City during the real estate downturn a few years back. Given the low principal we have on it we earn a pretty good return after expenses with just the winter rentals. Occasionally we'll get a summer renter for a few weeks or a few months (at much lower rates of course) and that's just cream. Even though we're only an hour away we're there only a few times a year, but for what we rent the place out for in the winter, it's better for us to take the rental revenue and stay in a hotel when we're in town ;^).
__________________
movingrightalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
We had a cabin up by the Royal Gorge outside of Canon City. Monarch ski area was about an hour and 10 minutes away. Loved it, but sold it when we retired and moved from Houston to Reno (Mt. Rose and Northstar resorts are about a 35 minute drive).
I fly fish, so I loved the mountain areas in summer (particularly as a contrast to Houston summers). Salida might go on your list; Monarch is 15 minutes from it.

Loved Salida on a trip a few years ago. Would Monarch generate a steady book of winter rentals?



Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingrightalong View Post
We live in Utah and bought a condo in Park City during the real estate downturn a few years back. Given the low principal we have on it we earn a pretty good return after expenses with just the winter rentals. Occasionally we'll get a summer renter for a few weeks or a few months (at much lower rates of course) and that's just cream. Even though we're only an hour away we're there only a few times a year, but for what we rent the place out for in the winter, it's better for us to take the rental revenue and stay in a hotel when we're in town ;^).

Thanks This is really helpful.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post

I'm concerned over how small some resort areas are in regards to future medical needs. It also seems like some areas without real towns nearby could be pretty slow in the summer. Finding the right one would be important.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Lived in Bend, OR and Jackson, WY collectively for ten years.

Bend being more of a "real" mountain town (approximately 70,000 people) compared to Jackson (more like 10,000).

Both were wonderful places to hang our hats; however, life basically revolves around the town as they are fairly isolated (Bend 3 1/2 hours to Portland over the mountains and Jackson 4 1/2 hours to SLC over/around mountains).

As far as medical care is concerned it is not a problem. Resort towns like Bend and Jackson punch way over their weight class in this regard as high quality doctors want to live in the communities. Thus, hospitals generally have their pick of the litter.
__________________
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Lived in Bend, OR and Jackson, WY collectively for ten years.

Bend being more of a "real" mountain town (approximately 70,000 people) compared to Jackson (more like 10,000).

Both were wonderful places to hang our hats; however, life basically revolves around the town as they are fairly isolated (Bend 3 1/2 hours to Portland over the mountains and Jackson 4 1/2 hours to SLC over/around mountains).

As far as medical care is concerned it is not a problem. Resort towns like Bend and Jackson punch way over their weight class in this regard as high quality doctors want to live in the communities. Thus, hospitals generally have their pick of the litter.

Thanks for the info. I can see both of those towns having great care due to sufficient size and the ability to attract docs. We were concerned looking at Rangeley, ME (pop 1500 MOL) and Sugarloaf, ME (Pop a few hundred year round).
__________________

__________________
woodguy00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Family Ski vacations FlowGirl Travel Information 11 06-02-2011 07:31 AM
I want to learn to ski thefed Other topics 34 12-17-2010 10:04 AM
Low cost of living town with low humidity? rec7 FIRE and Money 111 09-01-2008 03:59 PM
Angel Fire NM - ski condos twolane Other topics 3 04-10-2007 03:12 PM
standard on living or living with basic in US Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 14 12-30-2005 10:35 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.