Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Know what you mean.....

I will NEVER hate the ticking "60 Minutes" stopwatch again!!!!
That 60min Stopwatch has been a Sun PM downer for me since jr high

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was talking to my husband about this.
I dread Mondays even more because I have a conference call with India on Monday nights... and I really hate these calls. So Sunday I dread going to work on Monday... and at work and during dinner, I'm dreading these calls.

I can't wait for that feeling of dread to be in the rear view mirror.
OMG, I can remember such dreaded overseas calls in the middle of the night. They are in my rear view mirrow now - for sure!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I LOVE Sundays now. I think how uncrowded every road will be the next day as others go back to work!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I changed my work schedule so I have every Monday off.
It's nice having a 3 day weekend every week.

Most people at my work opt for getting out early and work 5 days a week.
I'd rather stay late and get an extra day off.

The downside is holidays don't mean much to me.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I tell then the job WAS the void!!
How can I tell you how much this statement applies to me! Just OMY--except when I read the posts about the issues with health care costs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Sunday is the day the fat paper comes.
Yep, fat paper in the morning (next to the fireplace), Amazing Race in the evening (next to DW): Sunday is fine.

It's funny, when I signed up for some volunteer work after I retired, I made myself available Tuesday thru Friday. Much as I love volunteering, I couldn't bring myself to crack the sanctity of Free Monday!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sundays: I hated the entire day!

As a school teacher, I would always procrastinate and leave all my catch up work until Sunday afternoon. Normally, I would get panicky
about weekly planning the catching up on grading papers. Not this school year! Sundays are now for movies, museums, lounging, football, and the paper. After 36 years, Sunday and Monday are both days that I enjoy.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awwww...You guys are killing me. I go through this every Sunday. I'm glad it's not just me.

Hey! 10 months to go! Let's see...how many Sundays would that be...not counting Monday holidays, (stay of executions)?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. Thanks for that reminder about the Sunday Anxiety Blues. I am so glad I am done with that.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
gone traveling

Worst part of still having to w*rk on Mondays is that I have to stop at 3 glasses of red wine at Sunday dinner.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #31

It was always Fridays that I hated - the frequency with which clients would come up with something that just had to be done on the following Monday which necessitated the sacrifice of a substantial part of my weekend was seriously depressing ... especially when the e-mail chains usually showed that they had been sitting on it for several days.

But I guess that is what they pay me for ...

216 days to go
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #32

Boy oh boy I understand this one...by the time I was on my way out, the Sunday evening dread already had its grisly paws around my neck by Saturday afternoon. Even now, two months in, the dread still shows up on Sunday. Last week was really bad...had the blues all day on Sunday...even though I didn't have to worry about work anymore.

And about avoiding the weekend crowds, DW and I have already decided not to go out much on the weekend, AND, to have our Christmas shopping finished before thanksgiving. I think I'm going to hibernate between thanksgiving and New Years Day 2014.

R
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #33

Weekend Chains Now Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrlawjr View Post
As a school teacher, I would always procrastinate and leave all my catch up work until Sunday afternoon. Normally, I would get panicky
about weekly planning the catching up on grading papers. Not this school year! Sundays are now for movies, museums, lounging, football, and the paper. After 36 years, Sunday and Monday are both days that I enjoy.
Early in the 33 years of teaching, I learned the best way to get through M-F ("best" meaning that I'd get at least 6-7 hrs. sleep/night) would be if I'd make myself sit down and do school work AT LEAST 6-8 hrs. each weekend (especially when teaching full time). That meant spending 4 hrs. Sat. at the library and another 4 hrs. Sun at some public coffee house (with white background noise). I'd grade, plan, write letters of recommendation, plan dept. meetings, in-services, etc. It was too hard to do it at home because everything there became a huge distraction; avoiding the schoolwork would make any chore appealing.

Since ER, the weekends of youth have returned! I'd forgotten that bliss of wide open days, with nothing on the calendar. Nobody expects anything from me on Mon. DH and I can do anything we please. Nothing goes on our calendars unless we decide to put it there.

I'm only starting to understand how much of life passed by when I was buried in paperwork, Sept.-June.

It is so nice to have a life again.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #34

The Sunday funk was a primary ER motivator for me. I came to realize that my mind was really trying to tell me something important. It's been 10 years now since ER. I'm very glad I listened.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to gloat guys but I just had to revisit this thread. Today is my first Sunday in retirement and I was sitting here thinking "something's different" then it hit me NO SUNDAY BLUES!

For those of you not yet FIREd your day will come I promise!

Best wishes to all and thanks for the encouragement couldn't have done it without you
Nikki
Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki J View Post
Sorry to gloat guys but I just had to revisit this thread. Today is my first Sunday in retirement and I was sitting here thinking "something's different" then it hit me NO SUNDAY BLUES!

For those of you not yet FIREd your day will come I promise!

Best wishes to all and thanks for the encouragement couldn't have done it without you
Nikki
Happy First Sunday!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #37

A good friend of mine (still working) just texted me the following:

"Sunday afternoon beers are completely underrated"

Seemed appropriate
-gauss
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Nikki... remember - you no longer get days off. You are ALWAYS retired - 24/7. No more weekends or holidays. Dang. what a "horrible" situation. hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #39

It's good to be hanging around "like-minded people". I'll never forget those Sunday blues and the Monday blues too the closer I got to retirement.
For me the worst thing that could happen to me would be to get a call from Mega-corp on a Sunday evening that would require me to go out there to solve someone's problem with equipment that I was ultimately responsible for. I absolutely dreaded that!
Thanks for the reminder because as I write this it is Sunday evening and I don't have a care in the world.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

As I sit here and type this, tonight is my last Sunday evening before a Monday workday. And although I do have to go into work tomorrow, it will be a short week for me. My last day is Thursday. I am so looking forward to next Sunday when the euphoria of a Sunday afternoon/evening is no longer dreaded.

Sleeping in, or more accurately not having to get up, and no longer experiencing the Sunday-evening dread will be, I suspect, among the best parts of ER for me.