Join Early Retirement Today

Sunday will never be the same.....
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sunday will never be the same.....

No this is not a post about Spanky And Our Gang's hit single from the 60s.
But finally, this Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 is the first Sunday since I retired (retired Sept. 30) that does not feel like a Sunday felt when I worked. When I worked, Sunday (especially Sunday evenings) was one of my least favorite days since I dreaded going back to work. Ironically, I felt that way even if Monday was a holiday and I was off. Now, life is good! People ask me what have I done to fill the void in my life now that I don't w@rk. I tell then the job WAS the void!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reminds me of an earlier thread, called What's your favorite thing about not having to go to w*rk
The "Sunday Evening Blues" was a big one--when I'd begin to think (if not earlier that short weekend) about what needs to get done first come Monday morning, and other w*rk coming up that week. Nowadays my motto is, as someone here, I think, said long ago: Everyday is Saturday!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

And here I am with major Sunday blues. It really is time to jump ship! Enjoy your Monday FIREd ones!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Imagine my Sunday evening blues. I have to work Sunday nights and in 15 minutes I'm hopping into my car for the 55 minute commute. Talk about depressing.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Reminds me of something one of my friends used to say. Every day is a holiday and every weekend is a honeymoon.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Know what you mean.....

My last workday was January 4th 2013 and it is maybe just today that I am REALLY beginning to appreciate that I will NOT have to go back...
EVER!!!!

and that this is NOT a dream I will wake up to tomorrow morning!!

I LOVE being ER'd!!!!!!! I will NEVER hate the ticking "60 Minutes" stopwatch again!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sunday is the day the fat paper comes. And I have to get dressed for church.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have ten weeks to go before I can start loving Sunday nights. And love them I will!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
But finally, this Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 is the first Sunday since I retired (retired Sept. 30) that does not feel like a Sunday felt when I worked. When I worked, Sunday (especially Sunday evenings) was one of my least favorite days since I dreaded going back to work. Ironically, I felt that way even if Monday was a holiday and I was off. Now, life is good! People ask me what have I done to fill the void in my life now that I don't w@rk. I tell then the job WAS the void!!
Isn't that great? This is my fourth year of retirement, and yet I truly, fully appreciate each Sunday so much, for that same reason. I don't think that great feeling will ever wear off.

Dont know if you have noticed yet, but Monday mornings are pretty good, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

My friend and I call Sunday nights "Ed Sullivan" nights, 'coz as kids when the show was over it meant we had to go to bed and go to school the next morning. I gave my 2 weeks notice this past Friday; first thing he said to me" "In 2 weeks no more Ed Sullivans for you."
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Isn't that great? I don't think that great feeling will ever wear off.

Dont know if you have noticed yet, but Monday mornings are pretty good, too.
For those of us still w*rking experience at least Friday is a high.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a Pakistani friend who called Sunday the "day of mourning". He was so dramatic about it that it's the only Urdu phrase I remember.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #13

The Sunday night funk was what first made me start thinking about retirement. Just ten years ago, i loved Sunday evenings because I so looked forward to the upcoming work week. That concept seems so foreign to me now.

DH and i started a tradition of eating at a nearby Mexican restaurant on Sunday evenings so i could enjoy a margarita or two to ease the dread. That did help a bit, but retirement REALLY helped. We now stay home Sunday evenings and I am all grins.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #14

Often on Sunday evenings, besides thinking/worrying about the w*rk coming the next day and the rest of the week, for me there would also be preparing a "sack lunch." Hey!, in hindsight, making my own lunches was one major item that allowed me to ER three years ago. In my 30-some years of w*rking, aside from the occasional "going out with the office gang to celebrate something" lunch, I brought my own lunch to work some 95% of the time. I observed others thru those years going out for lunch a lot more often than me.

Also on Sunday evenings I would have to gather my w*rk clothes for the next day.

Then, particularly in the later years of my j*b--I found myself taking home more homew*rk. That was because of a combination of my many years of experience, given more responsibility and things to do (and pay), and being expected to deliver. I'd w*rk on these weekend projects. So, like some of my younger high school and college Sundays, I would dread the coming Monday if I felt I had not done quite enough that weekend.

Today, I don't do or worry about any of the above. I go to bed whenever; I wake up whenever. I have not set an alarm clock in ages. Like I said: Everyday is Saturday!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

Sunday Evening Blues and Sunday Night Funk sound so dreary. But Sunday Night Funky Blues sounds like a night on the town with no Monday worries.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Nowadays my motto is, as someone here, I think, said long ago: Everyday is Saturday!
Except when you go to the grocery store and run errands during "bankers hours", when it's lot less crowded than it is on a *real* Saturday...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #17

Saturday and Sunday are the days I avoid going out on now. Let all the worker drones have their turn. I get the other five days.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Ouch, I'm still working and the part in red the part in red sure hits a raw nerve , even with a good boss (at this current time). Hope to be in the "Sunday does not feel like Sunday" situation by this time next year.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Saturday and Sunday are the days I avoid going out on now. Let all the worker drones have their turn. I get the other five days.
+1 Since retirement, the wife and I really try to avoid going out anywhere on Saturdays and Sundays unless we're attending some event that only happens on the weekends..
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #20

I was talking to my husband about this.
I dread Mondays even more because I have a conference call with India on Monday nights... and I really hate these calls. So Sunday I dread going to work on Monday... and at work and during dinner, I'm dreading these calls.

I can't wait for that feeling of dread to be in the rear view mirror.