Surfing Safari is a Blast

Good Visit To The Southland

Trombone Al made it down to Malibu where my wife & I were able to meet him for lunch. No real opportunity to get the kayak out in the waves but plenty to talk about over lunch. Just a wonderful day to be in Malibu, retired or working.

yakers

Nice pics Al.

We made a similar trip a few years ago minus the surfing.

You are doing exactly what I want to do in ER... take leisurely trips.

The blog site is great. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

I haven't camped at San Onofre in a long time, but it's not one of the great state parks for peace and quiet or natural beauty, being hard by the 5 FWY.
I'm actually in the San Mateo campground, which is up in the hills a bit. The blog has details.

I really enjoyed meeting Yakers and his beautiful wife.

I'm nursing a sore ankle today (see blog), but plan to surf this afternoon.

Attachments

• 01BreakfastOnRoad.jpg
    01BreakfastOnRoad.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 08KiddieRide.jpg
    08KiddieRide.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 03Surfing01.jpg
    03Surfing01.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm enjoying the blog, Al. Hope the ankle held out well for you at San Onofre today. Are you surfing "Trestles"?

I am enjoying your blog and pictures. Keep posting!

I'd like to know how you manage to take such great pictures of yourself. Are you doing all of them with the camera's timer or grabbing people off the street to help you out?

Trestles: I'll probably surf San-O again tomorrow; it was very good today. It takes a while to get the hang of a new break, so I want to take advantage of that. I'll call you tonight, Dreamer.

Sunscreen problem: I just wear my rash guard now. I use Neutrogena SPF 70 on my face and ears. That seems to be doing a good job. I'm out there four hours at a time.

Pictures of myself: I always use the tripod and the timed release. I think passersby don't take such good pictures, and often don't hold the shutter down halfway to focus.

Thanks for the feedback on the blog! Now to update it some more...

Thanks for the feedback on the blog! Now to update it some more...
I'm really enjoying your [-]travails[/-] travels, Al. I especially liked your "Camping is Dead" post; I thought that was just a Hawaii problem. Bummer.

I'm curious-- do you see blogging as a one-time event or a lifestyle addition?

I'm curious-- do you see blogging as a one-time event or a lifestyle addition?

Addition or addiction? ;)

No, I don't think my normal life is interesting enough for a blog. "Today I napped for a whole hour..."

When you say you surfed for 4 hours, exactly what does that entail? How many rides in? How much paddling out? How much laying on your board bs'ing with the locals? How do you deal with the crowds?

Just curious.

When you say you surfed for 4 hours, exactly what does that entail? How many rides in? How much paddling out? How much laying on your board bs'ing with the locals? How do you deal with the crowds?

It depends on the waves. If they are small, and come in distinct sets, it can mean a lot of BSing with the locals. There's a lot of talking going on, and a lot of groups of friends. I'll usually get 20+ rides.

Crowds on the waves haven't been bad. Things got a little territorial this morning with some shortboarders.

I'm updating the blog now...

Nice classic VW, Al, but take a look at the fin on that board-- how old did that board look? Or was it just a classic design made of modern materials?

Attachments

• Old longboard on VW.jpg
    Old longboard on VW.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 65
Al,
Great blog and pic's. My arms would have been toast after 13 straight days of surfing. Once again inspired to get my butt back on the water for an extended time period

Thanks for the feedback. Got back today, and boy are my arms tired. Good to be back. Left San Diego Saturday morning, early.

View attachment 2699

I've updated the blog, but will add an epilogue soon.

I think that was a classic board, not a "reproduction." It was actually pretty junky up close, and had been around the block.

Last edited:
Hey, you can never go back, whatever that means.

In any case, I made the final entry to the blog (the epilogue). Hope you all enjoyed it.

How safe would you feel taking a solo road trip and camping? Maybe being a male makes a big difference? I think I would be very leary with the camping part.

I'm not much of a joiner so a club isn't really what I would be interested in. I was thinking more like a solo solo trip like Al made. I think I would be too afraid to do that.

No camping ! Just a solo trip exploring the coast . I've travelled by myself before and it's kind of interesting .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom