Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Congrats on your retirement! Welcome to your new stage of life. You'll love it.

I pulled the ripcord almost six years ago at the ripe young age of 54. We sold our house in California and bought a new house in the Phoenix area. 55+ community (my wife qualified <grin>) and have been here ever since.

I won't respond to each of your points as some others did, but I'll tell you that unless you're adverse to travel, DEFINITELY take the time to do it. It doesn't have to be expensive overseas travel or cruises, either, though don't rule it out!

DW and I have driven cross-country five times now since 2013, with the primary goal of visiting family. We drive a Prius (great gas mileage) and we stay in moderately-priced hotels, lately selecting Hampton Inns as our first choice for the consistency with virtually everything. That and the occasional trip to Hawaii, we're having the time of our lives.

When at home, I write -- novels and screenplays, mostly. I don't have any aspirations for fame and fortune with that, I just enjoy creating. I've also been experimenting with digital art, focusing on abstracts. After using my "left" brain for so many years, I'm thrilled to be stretching the right side for a change!

I guess my point is it takes a while for your brain to free itself from the concept of time, as in "I have to be somewhere at THIS time or else," as well as the idea of a plethora of obligations and to-dos clogging up your mental inbox. Enjoy it for what it is and try not to fret about money... the stock market WILL have peaks and valleys, but if you prepared, your portfolio should weather any storm.

Have FUN!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats ER Eddie on your freedom. Yep, sounds a tad familiar. Weed, I grew 6 giant plants in my backyard my first 5 months free. Yielded about 4 pounds. Didn't shave or get a hair cut for a year. I've since calmed down a bit. The euphoria of doing whatever I wanted with no job ramifications was intoxicating for the first year. I've been gone three years now and yes it really goes fast. What day is it? ��
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ1959 View Post
we stay in moderately-priced hotels, lately selecting Hampton Inns as our first choice
On google maps search Hilton in the area you wish to stay, triangulate this with a Hilton Honors app search, pick out the cheapest Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn.

Happy to drive 20 minutes out of our way to save $100.

Hampton Inn has breakfast included, Hilton Garden has free coffee and full restaurant in house. Latter is best after a hard day of travel and a glass of wine with no driving back to the hotel.

Hilton Garden tends to be cheaper on weekends. DC downtown Hilton Garden is half price Sunday nights.

I prefer first floor to avoid extra bother of elevator as designated runner to get coffee or breakfast.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
On google maps search Hilton in the area you wish to stay, triangulate this with a Hilton Honors app search, pick out the cheapest Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn.

Happy to drive 20 minutes out of our way to save $100.

Hampton Inn has breakfast included, Hilton Garden has free coffee and full restaurant in house. Latter is best after a hard day of travel and a glass of wine with no driving back to the hotel.

Hilton Garden tends to be cheaper on weekends. DC downtown Hilton Garden is half price Sunday nights.

I prefer first floor to avoid extra bother of elevator as designated runner to get coffee or breakfast.
Exactly right. Love getting those HH points, among some of the other features. Loyalty definitely pays.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired four years ago, due to medical reasons, & it was far more abrupt than I expected (think, doubling over in my driveway, & waking up just as I was going into surgery). But, by the time I was recovered (about a month), I found that I really didn't miss my job, at all...& I owned the company! After 32 years, the place kept on running just fine, even without me, & I ended up selling it to the employees, with no regrets, & have thoroughly enjoyed my retirement.

My wife of 41 years retired six weeks ago, & it's totally different for her. Not that she misses her former workplace, but she's having an awful time not being the boss. This afternoon, I finally told her that I did not appreciate her acting as "mommy" or "boss," & that I have been doing just fine for 73 years without her telling me what to do, how to do it, & when. She hasn't said a single word to me since then (about three hours), & it'll be interesting to see if she can break that strange new habit.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy the 3 hours.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy talking with my wife, & have always made it a conscious point to not talk TO her. So, her starting this after so many years I have to attribute to her reaction to retirement.

And, yes, we're back talking with each other! Hope it lasts.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #48

Joke... been married 35 yrs.
Retired 6 yrs.
Not the same, working / retired being home together all the time.
Both good, just not the same. lol lol
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #49

I went to the doctor for my annual physical 6 weeks after ER. I had lost 8 pounds already, and every single number was better than last year. The nurse took my pulse twice because she surprised it was so low. No stress and plenty of exercise and outside activity are a wonderful thing for your health. Those thinking about OMY who are already FI, should consider the cost of OMY in terms of your health.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Perhaps some even became successful politicians. That would explain a lot...

Now that's funny. Although it does a disservice to Acid Heads who are generally much better people.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

" First is the very common phenomenon of functional alcoholics -- people whose lives look fine on the outside but whose inner, relational, physical or spiritual lives are in trouble. "

I have always loved (not) the concept of the "High Functioning" alcoholic. I have known many. They drink every day, to excess. You know, like 6 or more beverages a day. Every day...

They have never been in trouble with the law, they have never been abusive physically or verbally to their friends and/or family. They have no ongoing health problems. They maintain their professional standards, their homes, their relationships and their lives. Many maintain healthy spiritual relationships and attend religious services regularly. Do they have inner Demons that they struggle with? Yes. Don't we all?

But, we as a Society must put them in their appropriate box with their appropriate name. Because one size fits all - 2 or more drinks a day, everyday, and you are an "alcoholic". Use cannabis everyday and you are a "pothead".

Years ago you were just a guy/gal who drank a lot and relaxed with some cannabis but took care of your business in Life - You know, like a real Man or Woman does. Now, you are a shameful, sad, helpless individual who we should look down upon and feel pity for and offer help to.

Nah. I must reject that common wisdom/group think.

That guy in the gutter, figuratively or literally, help him. Let's leave the responsible people alone and pin the labels elsewhere if we have to.

That said, I must agree with you that of the two, Alcohol vs. Cannabis , alcohol is by far the most destructive. In fact, I was watching a documentary* where many different types of Doctors were comparing alcoholism with heroin addiction and most said that the heroin use was actually less devastating medically and socially than alcohol. ( Hmm.. I dunno about that. ) Cannabis was, in their opinion, not even in the same league as the other two. As well, they acknowledged a wide range of potential medical and health benefits related to cannabis use.

I do know this...I've seen people destroy, or almost destroy, themselves with all the above.

Again, I will maintain that it is highly dependent upon the Individual and that labels and a one-size fits all attitude are not appropriate.

Birdly

* - Can't remember the show itself. I believe it was on CNN. It featured Dr. Sanjay Gupta among others.
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
- I have dreams, sleeping dreams, all the time of going back to work
Oh, great. I still have dreams, 35+ years later, of being summoned back to high school to re-take some class that I "forgot" to take back in the day. So I'm going to have "work dreams" too?
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
Oh, great. I still have dreams, 35+ years later, of being summoned back to high school to re-take some class that I "forgot" to take back in the day. So I'm going to have "work dreams" too?
LOL! My first year gone I fought a lot of fire and worked on a lot of bloody messed up patients in my dreams. Happy to report I haven't had a work dream in over a year and a half.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If they want my time, I would quote 5x my hourly rate and be very enthusiastic about cooperating. If the hours involved exceed 8, my rate would double. otherwise I am not available!
Yup - make them pay a price - I do that with my consulting - unfortunately, most of them have been willing to pay the larger price - oops!
Great reflections, thanks.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #55

Great reflections, thanks.

I appreciated your post as it got me in a reflective mood and I surprisingly saw lots of up sides of the last year. I retired by accident as my husband and business partner passed away so I had little planned.
The year went slowly.
Work?
I miss knowing if our old patients are doing well and I miss being challenged, not enough to go back to work tho! I find new challenges daily.
Play?
Having never tried pot before I tried it hoping it may help my sadness, only I found the grief exponentially greater so, not for me but... I have known several high functioning people who enjoy it. I subscribe to live and let live. Besides I've no time to judge others from my glass house.
Alcohol, also a downer so no.
Social?
I almost tried to be more social , got more involved with church and came to appreciate my family and friends more, but honestly I learned I don't mind being alone too much, hmm probably bc my dog is great company.
Finances?
I don't worry too much about money. With great knowledge gained here (thank you!) I bought a rental house this winter and it's worked out to meet my monthly nut easily. I have the rest in CD's at 3.5% and feel super lucky, like that it's compounding without risk.
Travel?
I'm on a 3000 mile fly-fishing journey currently and loving the freedom of the road, visiting and seeing the AMAZING beauty of the Western USA. I will keep on going until I'm done.
Gaming!?
On advice of son I bought a PlayStation and Grand Tourismo racing simulator, OMG, LOL I find this great fun. Son is sure I drive my Porsche better and got my first ever speeding ticket (bout time!).
Relaxing?
I think FINALLY I know how and appreciate down time like never before. I love sunrise and sunsets, try to never miss one. Getting up earlier sure helped my mood allot.
Downside. All my friends siblings and most people my age work. I need to shake off feeling out of sync and just enjoy the freedom. Hard to field question of What do you do? Didn't realize my profession was so tied to my identity. So search for trueself continues.
Health wise I'm all about getting moving daily and eating light but well, as I want my brain and body to stay young!
Mostly this reflection of my year of retirement has left me -GRATEFUL.
Wonderful people here have inspired me often, so thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy retirement fully.
CoastalStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
LOL! My first year gone I fought a lot of fire and worked on a lot of bloody messed up patients in my dreams. Happy to report I haven't had a work dream in over a year and a half.
URRGH!!! Guess coming here talking about dreams and work and stuff triggered something. Up all night with various bad work dreams last night!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalStorm View Post
I appreciated your post as it got me in a reflective mood and I surprisingly saw lots of up sides of the last year.
[....]
Mostly this reflection of my year of retirement has left me -GRATEFUL.
Wonderful people here have inspired me often, so thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy retirement fully.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Sounds like things are going well.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
URRGH!!! Guess coming here talking about dreams and work and stuff triggered something. Up all night with various bad work dreams last night!
THC puts those to rest for me.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
thc puts those to rest for me.
🤣🤣🤣😎