Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2017, 05:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the airplane replies (and apologies for the part hijacking). Dogs would be medium-sized (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever type).

Renting probably would be step 1, as I would likely start out near a local airport (e.g. Dunedin NZ - Otago airclub).

Silly question regarding rentals: how does it typically work if you want to go on a multi-day trip in terms of finances? e.g. fly out day 1 two hours, stay two nights, fly back. Is that even possible since the aircraft is not available for others during that time?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
Really enjoy these post-retirement follow up stories. They provide me with a lot of optimism and anticipation.

However, one thing I'll debate is the one more year part. The missus and I have a large enough nest egg, before government benefits, to support our current spending/lifestyle which I can't complain about. However, I'm 45 and the missus hasn't even hit 40 yet. I'm hoping to work another 5 years and retire around 50 with the missus a few years after that. Expecting the extra few years will reinforce our nest egg to satisfy our risk concerns and allow us to spend on some stretch target retirement goals/plans/luxuries while still being young enough to have many years of enjoyment out of them. Anyways, hoping the extra 5 years of wage slaving will be worth it. Fine balance between ER years and enough money for your goals?

I agree with you. That's similar to what we did except we were older. Originally planned to ER at 50. However 50 was 2009 for DH & 2010 for me. After taking big hits not only on financial portfolio but also some real estate investments, we decided to work longer and build up more assets. Felt we were FI a couple of years before we pulled the trigger. I had a large financial incentive to stay in place at my company for most of 2017 so we agreed to keep w*rking till I got my windfall. RE'd last Nov. at 56 & 57. Sounds like you'll be able to do it several years earlier- well done!

One thing that helped me become emotionally ready was to start thinking and making a list of activities we were looking forward to trying or doing after ER. That helped me get super excited about leaving and it also felt a lot more positive- leaving to move towards something desirable vs leaving to escape something unpleasant.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My golfing partner who is 87 always notices planes in the air that fly by on golf course. He gave up his little plane first then his license 20-30 years ago. Last week when he was looking and identifying the type of plane, I asked him if he could fly it and land it now. He quickly answered "Ya damn right I could fly it and land it".
I have little doubt that he could. It is sort of like riding a bicycle, you may get a little "rusty" but you never forget. After I retired got some time with an instructor in a Cessna 182 - I forget the exact reason, but the instructor was also an A&P mechanic and often worked on the airplane. The owner told him to use it anytime he liked. Anyway, after about two hours flying time he said I was flying it better than the owner. I hadn't touched the controls on a full-size airplane for at least 28 years!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #44

I've only been retired for 3.3 years. Played zero games of golf, but did a bunch of traveling, about 25% of the time, both in the US and abroad. Usually 3 or so weeks at a time...something I could never do with the stingy vacation allowances from the megacorp. As to aviation, got trained on foot launched paramotor (just rented equipment). Also knocked the rust off my surfing skills. Rented an RV for 3 weeks. But really, I'm still trying to figure out how I really want to spend my time.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Just reflecting a bit, I can't recommend ER enough, you never know how many summers you have left. And I look at friends who's health starts to deteriorate and aren't able to do some of the things they would like. Lots of years wasted saving for one more year.
Nearly 4 years in......so far, so good.

I find I have more "summers left" when we snowbird down south!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Thanks for the airplane replies (and apologies for the part hijacking). Dogs would be medium-sized (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever type).

Renting probably would be step 1, as I would likely start out near a local airport (e.g. Dunedin NZ - Otago airclub).

Silly question regarding rentals: how does it typically work if you want to go on a multi-day trip in terms of finances? e.g. fly out day 1 two hours, stay two nights, fly back. Is that even possible since the aircraft is not available for others during that time?
IIRC rentals for travel with stays can be negotiated on a so-many-hours minimum per day. I'm sure it depends upon the folks who are renting you the aircraft.

Probably the most economical approach to "owning" an aircraft is to form a "club" of at least 3 people. If each person flies 100 hours/year, the fixed costs don't drastically increase the per hour cost. At that rate of utilization, it's unlikely there will be significant conflicts for using the AC. Naturally, there are caveats relating to the folks you include. Naturally, there are legal issues which should be dealt with (protection from joint liability, etc. etc.)

Realistically, the average costs for small aircraft travel is in the $100 to $250/ hour range, depending on equipment. This assumes used aircraft in "good" condition at time of purchase. Quick math suggests about $1/mile to $2/mile. Cars are in the range of $.60 +/- $.20 per mile.

It's really not the most practical hobby, but I think you could make a case that it's more practical than, let's say golf or shooting which are lots of fun but don't have a big payoff unless you are really good enough to win something. At least with flying, you can actually get some place. Considering that many aircraft can carry 3 or 4, you could begin to make a case for it being "cheaper" than commercial flight, though that's very dicy and as with everything "it all depends..."

Considering personal safety, cost, other limitations (weather is probably the biggest), etc., you fly because you enjoy it, not because its always the best way to get someplace. Naturally, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote