Join Early Retirement Today

Survived 10 years of early retirement
Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Survived 10 years of early retirement

I just turned 60, this also marks 10 years of early retirement. Since my ER I've gotten my pilots license, golfed hundreds of rounds, moved to Florida, and traveled all over the country. I've recently also taken up target shooting and reloading.

I had a RV for a few years, but sold it when I bought the plane.

Sometimes I think about how much more money I would have now if I had continued to work and invest over the last 10 years. But my net worth is higher now than it was then and we live a very good life. The time I've had has been worth it.

Just reflecting a bit, I can't recommend ER enough, you never know how many summers you have left. And I look at friends who's health starts to deteriorate and aren't able to do some of the things they would like. Lots of years wasted saving for one more year.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #2

What a great success story for those considering retiring early vs working one more year. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and many more!
We are in our 4th year of ER (58 and 65). I am so grateful to have met the ER community and the YMYL bunch early enough in life to jump on the train.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

I'm about halfway thru my fifth year of ER. Still doing the RV thing, although DW has encouraged me to do the same as OP and get my pilots license. That was always a dream of mine, from the time I was knee high to a cricket. But at this stage, I'm not sure I want to go thru the rigors of study etc require for the pilots license. And, I'd rather have an RV or two...DW agrees with one but not two (our big diesel pusher won't fit in state parks, I'd like a small camping trailer for that). In my second year of ER, I also picked up the shooting but, and want to learn how to re-load as well. I'm fitter than I've ever been post college. Life is pretty good.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Well, I'm only a few days in and really like hearing such encouraging success stories!
NHguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Congratulations ! And thank you for the update and sharing your joy with us !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

30 years this October. It's all still good!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I'm about halfway thru my fifth year of ER. Still doing the RV thing, although DW has encouraged me to do the same as OP and get my pilots license. That was always a dream of mine, from the time I was knee high to a cricket. But at this stage, I'm not sure I want to go thru the rigors of study etc require for the pilots license. And, I'd rather have an RV or two...DW agrees with one but not two (our big diesel pusher won't fit in state parks, I'd like a small camping trailer for that). In my second year of ER, I also picked up the shooting but, and want to learn how to re-load as well. I'm fitter than I've ever been post college. Life is pretty good.
I was 5 years in and was at a car show at the local airport. I mentioned to the wife that I always wanted to learn to fly. She asked why I never did it? I said I either didn't have the time, or didn't have the money. She said what was stopping me now? I started taking lessons the next Monday.

The plane really makes day trips great. When we were living in St. Louis, we would fly to Chicago to have lunch with our son. Or now we take friends to Key West for the day, instead of a 4-5hr drive, it's a 1hr flight with a great view.

I like to fly just to be in the air, the wife likes the plane to go places. I liked the RV, but the wife would rather fly somewhere and stay at a hotel.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

The travel trailer was totaled in a hail storm, it was great taking it to state parks. Here it is at the Indiana dunes, we also went to South Florida that year, and many other state parks.

And here is a pic of our plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.JPG (59.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (589.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHguy View Post
Well, I'm only a few days in and really like hearing such encouraging success stories!
You'll find a lot of encouragement here.

I retired over 15 years ago (where the arrow points) halfway through a very bad period (the chart shows the last 20 years of the S&P500). That was later followed by an even worse period. But I'm doing just fine, thank you. Spending today is way higher than it was at retirement day, and life is way better.
Attached Images
File Type: png Retirement.png (56.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

24 years of ER; Joys and sorrows, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
30 years this October. It's all still good!
My early retirement started in 1993 at age 53. Now age 77. 24 years of retirement and, like you, it's all still good. (Well, all good except the deaths of people I loved, and my own health problems, approaching my eighties.) The unexpected joy in retirement is finding love a few years back and entering my first ever marriage, starting January of this year, 2017.
Ted_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You'll find a lot of encouragement here.

I retired over 15 years ago (where the arrow points) halfway through a very bad period (the chart shows the last 20 years of the S&P500). That was later followed by an even worse period. But I'm doing just fine, thank you. Spending today is way higher than it was at retirement day, and life is way better.
You can see what it looked like shortly after I retired in 2007. But we rode it out and never thought about going back to work. We just thankfully didn't have any big expenses during the downturn, and we stayed the coarse and now are worth much more than back then.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Nice! I got my private license at age 25 and bought a Piper Tri-Pacer and had a ball with it for a bit over two years. An airplane is great for day trips but since neither I nor the airplane was qualified for instrument conditions that limited it's use for much beyond that. It is also great that you are doing this while you can - I'm now 67 and given that I've had some cardiac issues in the past couple of years I'm doubtful a flight physician would issue a medical certificate.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #14

I retired 8 years ago, after losing my wife. I remarried, and moved to Ventura County, CA.
Since I was half a mile from the local airport, I got an instructor to knock the rust off. I then discovered Angel Flight where we fly patients to and from their far away appointments.
I am also interested in railroading, and I volunteer at a tourist railroad near here. I am also helping restore an old diesel switch engine, with the plan to operate it.
With both our SS and pensions, our net is about what my take home was when I was w**king.
We have traveled extensively, and are now slowing down, as we have filled most of our buckets.
Life is great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4180.JPG (454.7 KB, 121 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
The travel trailer was totaled in a hail storm, it was great taking it to state parks. Here it is at the Indiana dunes, we also went to South Florida that year, and many other state parks.

Wow, beautiful plane...RG even for a relative newcomer to flying. What year is it, and how many hours on the engine? Your first plane, or did you go a little smaller first then move up? Most important, how often do you fly it?

Curious about your shooting and reloading as well. I recently did a home built 5.56, to comply with CA law (none of the "evil" features...). I shoot handguns mostly, but have a few rifles and carbines. And I've done a small bit of work on my other carbines to bring them into compliance with CA's new laws. I typically shoot about twice a month, usually take 4 pistols to the range, blow thru 300-400 rounds. When DSIL comes with, we've come close to firing 1000 rds between us. I usually take two 9mm and a 45 plus either a 380 or a 40. I've also set up a range on my property, and use it for a 22 sometimes, when I feel like shooting but can't get away.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
My early retirement started in 1993 at age 53. Now age 77. 24 years of retirement and, like you, it's all still good. (Well, all good except the deaths of people I loved, and my own health problems, approaching my eighties.) The unexpected joy in retirement is finding love a few years back and entering my first ever marriage, starting January of this year, 2017.
Congratulations on the nuptials and the successful ER!
shadowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Great to read these posts. I'm only 7 months in but love it so far! DH & I are 58 & 56 so hope to be active and healthy for many years.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Great to read these posts. I'm only 7 months in but love it so far! DH & I are 58 & 56 so hope to be active and healthy for many years.
From your lips to God's ears. Happy retirement!!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #19

I love all these inspirational posts. I have a hard time imagining spending my savings so I love all the success stories. Hopefully 5 more years and I'll pull the plug.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
Congrats! A new love in retirement is the icing on the cake, for sure. I met the love of my life 15 years into retirement. We have been married 13 yrs and have two sons, 2 and 12 years old, and I could not be happier!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote