Talk me out of this car

I wandered into the Mazda dealer for a test drive. That little sucker was fun to drive and shifting was fine, but trips to Home Depot might be tricky. My spouse hates the idea altogether and is picturing some sort of reliable sedan. My eighty year old neighbor drives a red convertible Mustang.

I have been a sports car purist for most of my life and used to scoff at automatics. But todays automatics are so good, and if you live in an area with heavy traffic, I for one, would not opt for a manual. Also, getting in and out of a low sports car may be a challenge for some as we age.

I wandered into the Mazda dealer for a test drive. That little sucker was fun to drive and shifting was fine, but trips to Home Depot might be tricky. My spouse hates the idea altogether and is picturing some sort of reliable sedan. My eighty year old neighbor drives a red convertible Mustang.

Well, an SUV or pickup would be better for trips to Home Depot, I suppose. And then, a reliable sedan would be so easy to get in and out of. A red convertible Mustang might be pretty easy to get in and out of, too (never tried it).

Looks like you have a lot of decisions to make! But they're all good. :D

If it makes you feel any better, I thought of buying a new car last week, even though I don't actually need one but just feel aggravated by all the electronics in my present SUV bossing me around. However, honestly I couldn't decide on any vehicle that I would like better than what I've got already. Seems they've all got bossy electronics, and some of the other electronics I strongly do not want to do without. Examples are keyless entry, push button ignition, extremely adjustable seat with lumbar support, and push button to open the rear door/entry to get to the cargo area.

So, that idea is on the back burner for a few more years. Maybe by then something better will appear on the horizon.

What is your husband driving? Doesn't he have a reliable sedan to pick up stuff at Home Depot? Doesn't matter what your neighbor drives. If you liked the Miata and had no problem shifting or getting in and out, go buy it.

My understanding is that the fix will result in a decrease in MPG therefore it is about MPG in addition to NOx.
Correct. Consumer Reports just tested a a couple of Jetta's by hacking the ECM into test (cheat) mode and found a 3-4 mpg decrease as well as an almost 1 second increase in 0-60 times.

Correct. Consumer Reports just tested a a couple of Jetta's by hacking the ECM into test (cheat) mode and found a 3-4 mpg decrease as well as an almost 1 second increase in 0-60 times.

Assuming the fix is just to leave it in the test mode 100% of the time.

:D

If it makes you feel any better, I thought of buying a new car last week, even though I don't actually need one but just feel aggravated by all the electronics in my present SUV bossing me around. However, honestly I couldn't decide on any vehicle that I would like better than what I've got already. Seems they've all got bossy electronics, and some of the other electronics I strongly do not want to do without. Examples are keyless entry, push button ignition, extremely adjustable seat with lumbar support, and push button to open the rear door/entry to get to the cargo area.

So, that idea is on the back burner for a few more years. Maybe by then something better will appear on the horizon.
Just curious, what are the bossy electronics? Other than seat belt warning chimes, I can't think of any. And door open alarms, which seem useful.

I suppose there are the newer systems that warn when you drift out of your lane or are following too closely or stuff like that, but that seems like a good thing. It's also an option on about every car I looked at last year, so you can get one without it.

Maybe the maintenance reminders? I can shut mine off, but then I have to tell the service dept not to turn them on again.

I'm actually looking for s new car with some of those bossy electronics. I specifically want the blind spot monitoring since arthritis in my neck makes it harder to check the blind spot these days. AWD would help during the winter months here in PA and some of the other safety features are desirable too. I'm probably getting the Acura TLX but want to check some of the other options out there too. DW wants to check out a BMW, but will likely be too much. We already looked at Lexus and ruled them out. I'm avoiding Audi because of the VW ethics issue and if I look at a Mercedes I'm sure I'd like it, but would end up spending too much. Should just go to the Acura dealer, but test driving cars is too fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Assuming the fix is just to leave it in the test mode 100% of the time.

Correct!

The EPA mileage test mode has exceptions during the test for non-test mode actual driving conditions. It's not straight forward and it applies to all cars that are tested. Wide open throttle is one exception and heavy load conditions is another. VW and other cars are granted those exceptions routinely as there is no EPA emissions testing done for vehicles in motion on roads.

VW is being crucified (and rightfully so) for lying to EPA then admitting they rigged the test on the dyno (front wheels on the machine only).

Also, do we believe Consumer Reports is a verified and certified testing authority? I thought they specialized in reporting consumer complaints like the seats aren't comfy and my engine is using oil? :D

I had a '99 Miata and loved it. Lots of fun and very reliable. Reliability is a key issue for me since we often are in very remote areas and if a problem develops, well it's much easier to find a Ford or even Mazda dealer in the boonies than BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.
Today I drove the Mustang from El Dorado, AR to Russellville. Great drive, finally saw sun around Hot Springs so put the top down and zipped through the curves. Had a tough time convincing my wife that those yellow speed signs at curves are only a suggestion....

My wife an I just drove to Key West in my miata for Fantasy fest, a 9 hour drive. i drove it to colorado in September, 3 eleven hour days on the road. The car is not the best car for a trip, but is the most fun. I have a trunk rack that allowed us to carry all we needed for a 12 day camping trip across Colorado.

Neither the wife nor I have any issues getting in and out of the car. i prefer automatic transmissions since a broken leg forced me to trade in a stick shift.

I got 32 mpg back and forth from KW. In Colorado, I got one tank @51mpg, but most others were mid/low 40's mpg.

Attachments

• P9130042.jpg
    P9130042.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 19
I have been a sports car purist for most of my life and used to scoff at automatics. But todays automatics are so good, and if you live in an area with heavy traffic, I for one, would not opt for a manual. Also, getting in and out of a low sports car may be a challenge for some as we age.
At least some of them get better MPG too. My Forester, same 2.5L 4cyl engine, claims 2 mpg better with the CVT automatic. I thought maybe this was due to the CVT, but I think the Honda Accord has a standard automatic and it shows an even bigger advantage. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.

We got stopped for speeding in Utah. Officer was great. Just a warning-we are out of state, out of country.

I felt really good about not getting a ticket until DW looked at the ticket and started to laugh. The officer marked my hair colour down as being grey instead of blond. Well, it really is a little blond.....with a great deal of grey.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.

Your remembering correctly. I haven't compared the recent models gas mileage differences, but it used to be that way. Of course mileage is a function of how heavy your right foot is and the terrain you drive on.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.

It used to be that way, but not any longer. In particular the CVT we have on our new Altima gets unbelievable mileage. I have only run 2 tanks of gas through it but it gets 34-35 mpg in mixed driving . The Altima isn't available with a manual, but the smaller Sentra is and the CVT version is rated as having better fuel economy than the manual.

We got stopped for speeding in Utah. Officer was great. Just a warning-we are out of state, out of country.
How fast were you going? I drove through Utah a year ago in the 80 mph zone. Came around a corner & the highway patrol was in the ditch. Checked my GPS (Cdn car speedo is metric) it said 91 mph. HP just sat there in the ditch. My kinda guys.

My snakebit, elderly BMW tried to commit suicide again. It has since been patched together at no small expense, but my husband wants to send it off to the automobile rainbow bridge. I looked at the various overpriced and tedious options, before deciding that the best replacement for my little ragtop was -- obviously -- a Mazda Miata. If you had an arthritic left knee and arthritic ankles and feet, would you be sensible and buy an automatic or would you choose something that was more fun? Or should I just buy some old lady, square sedan?

Curious :angel: Did you make a decision yet??

I'm actually looking for s new car with some of those bossy electronics. I specifically want the blind spot monitoring since arthritis in my neck makes it harder to check the blind spot these days. AWD would help during the winter months here in PA and some of the other safety features are desirable too. ......

Have you looked at the Subaru Legacy Limited? Hard to beat Subaru's AWD.

I too am looking to buy the 16 Miata. Every 20 years or so I get the bug for a roadster. In 1980 it was an MGB. In 2000 it was a Honda S2000. And this year or next it will be a Miata MX5. It is a wonderful car. Light, well balanced and a much calmer drive than the S2000. From my research and bargaining I had the price as 1500 under MSRP for the Club model without the Brambo brake package. For a brand new in demand model it is not a bad price.

As it happens here in the northern climate I decided not to pull the trigger until the Spring when I expect the prices should be a bit better because there will be more inventory.

Go ahead and get the Miata if you have not already done so.

Yes, I think that it's a good choice for me. I don't do that much driving anyway and just can't justify an Audi or a new BMW and, gosh, it was a fun drive! I'm going to wait until spring, though. I'm going to get the automatic. You can go back to driving sooner after a left knee replacement when you drive an automatic. Getting old stinks.

Have you looked at the Subaru Legacy Limited? Hard to beat Subaru's AWD.

I know Subaru makes a great car and a good friend has one. But I drove a Lexus GS 350 f sport the other day...I may be hooked. Of course, the price difference is significant, so I'll have to think on it a while.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom