Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a '99 Miata and loved it. Lots of fun and very reliable. Reliability is a key issue for me since we often are in very remote areas and if a problem develops, well it's much easier to find a Ford or even Mazda dealer in the boonies than BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.
Today I drove the Mustang from El Dorado, AR to Russellville. Great drive, finally saw sun around Hot Springs so put the top down and zipped through the curves. Had a tough time convincing my wife that those yellow speed signs at curves are only a suggestion....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #62
gone traveling

My wife an I just drove to Key West in my miata for Fantasy fest, a 9 hour drive. i drove it to colorado in September, 3 eleven hour days on the road. The car is not the best car for a trip, but is the most fun. I have a trunk rack that allowed us to carry all we needed for a 12 day camping trip across Colorado.

Neither the wife nor I have any issues getting in and out of the car. i prefer automatic transmissions since a broken leg forced me to trade in a stick shift.

I got 32 mpg back and forth from KW. In Colorado, I got one tank @51mpg, but most others were mid/low 40's mpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9130042.jpg (736.8 KB, 19 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I have been a sports car purist for most of my life and used to scoff at automatics. But todays automatics are so good, and if you live in an area with heavy traffic, I for one, would not opt for a manual. Also, getting in and out of a low sports car may be a challenge for some as we age.
At least some of them get better MPG too. My Forester, same 2.5L 4cyl engine, claims 2 mpg better with the CVT automatic. I thought maybe this was due to the CVT, but I think the Honda Accord has a standard automatic and it shows an even bigger advantage. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

We got stopped for speeding in Utah. Officer was great. Just a warning-we are out of state, out of country.

I felt really good about not getting a ticket until DW looked at the ticket and started to laugh. The officer marked my hair colour down as being grey instead of blond. Well, it really is a little blond.....with a great deal of grey.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #65
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.
Your remembering correctly. I haven't compared the recent models gas mileage differences, but it used to be that way. Of course mileage is a function of how heavy your right foot is and the terrain you drive on.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought you used to be able to squeeze more out with a manual.
It used to be that way, but not any longer. In particular the CVT we have on our new Altima gets unbelievable mileage. I have only run 2 tanks of gas through it but it gets 34-35 mpg in mixed driving . The Altima isn't available with a manual, but the smaller Sentra is and the CVT version is rated as having better fuel economy than the manual.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #67

2016 Miata is 27 MPG city and 30 MPG combined, manual or auto. Highway is 36 MPG auto or 34 MPG manual. Not sure how the combined stays the same, but that's what it says.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...-5&srchtyp=ymm
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We got stopped for speeding in Utah. Officer was great. Just a warning-we are out of state, out of country.
How fast were you going? I drove through Utah a year ago in the 80 mph zone. Came around a corner & the highway patrol was in the ditch. Checked my GPS (Cdn car speedo is metric) it said 91 mph. HP just sat there in the ditch. My kinda guys.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Back to the original post. JUST BUY IT!!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
My snakebit, elderly BMW tried to commit suicide again. It has since been patched together at no small expense, but my husband wants to send it off to the automobile rainbow bridge. I looked at the various overpriced and tedious options, before deciding that the best replacement for my little ragtop was -- obviously -- a Mazda Miata. If you had an arthritic left knee and arthritic ankles and feet, would you be sensible and buy an automatic or would you choose something that was more fun? Or should I just buy some old lady, square sedan?
Curious Did you make a decision yet??
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I'm actually looking for s new car with some of those bossy electronics. I specifically want the blind spot monitoring since arthritis in my neck makes it harder to check the blind spot these days. AWD would help during the winter months here in PA and some of the other safety features are desirable too. ......
Have you looked at the Subaru Legacy Limited? Hard to beat Subaru's AWD.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I too am looking to buy the 16 Miata. Every 20 years or so I get the bug for a roadster. In 1980 it was an MGB. In 2000 it was a Honda S2000. And this year or next it will be a Miata MX5. It is a wonderful car. Light, well balanced and a much calmer drive than the S2000. From my research and bargaining I had the price as 1500 under MSRP for the Club model without the Brambo brake package. For a brand new in demand model it is not a bad price.

As it happens here in the northern climate I decided not to pull the trigger until the Spring when I expect the prices should be a bit better because there will be more inventory.

Go ahead and get the Miata if you have not already done so.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I think that it's a good choice for me. I don't do that much driving anyway and just can't justify an Audi or a new BMW and, gosh, it was a fun drive! I'm going to wait until spring, though. I'm going to get the automatic. You can go back to driving sooner after a left knee replacement when you drive an automatic. Getting old stinks.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #74
gone traveling

alldone, you live in San Diego. i don't understand waiting for spring.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Have you looked at the Subaru Legacy Limited? Hard to beat Subaru's AWD.

I know Subaru makes a great car and a good friend has one. But I drove a Lexus GS 350 f sport the other day...I may be hooked. Of course, the price difference is significant, so I'll have to think on it a while.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I know Subaru makes a great car and a good friend has one. But I drove a Lexus GS 350 f sport the other day...I may be hooked. Of course, the price difference is significant, so I'll have to think on it a while. ...
Can't beat a Lexus... but I doubt I could ever get DW to go along... but once she is gone the gloves come off.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Can't beat a Lexus... but I doubt I could ever get DW to go along... but once she is gone the gloves come off.

DW gave her notice to her boss...or tried to, a couple of weeks ago. The offer she was given to extend a year part time was hard for her to turn down. So the extra money is making us think the Lexus won't hurt financially. We just haven't seen the deal in writing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I am bringing this thread back to life. I am picking up the Miata tomorrow. 2016 Club 6 speed manual in red. As I 65 year old I am looking forward to being an old(er) guy in a little sports car.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #79

Congrats. My 2008 never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
I am bringing this thread back to life. I am picking up the Miata tomorrow. 2016 Club 6 speed manual in red. As I 65 year old I am looking forward to being an old(er) guy in a little sports car.
In case you don't already have a pony tail, you can buy one that is attached to a baseball cap to tide you over until it grows in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pony tail cap.jpg (29.1 KB, 17 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote