Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
A pickup is for work. A 2 seat sports car is for fun. I have one of each. Oh, and I drive a Jeep Rubicon. Just wanted to make sure you knew you could have it both ways!

(The pickup is an extra heavy duty F250 with a snow plow and chains on all four wheels.)
Hermit, Don't know about that, I've got a 2010 F150 Platinum and a 2014 Corvette. They are both a lot of fun to drive. I can lay wheels and corner pretty well in either of them...tires can get a little expensive. If you put the top down in the corvette and have a willing passenger, a tree or shrub can be transported from the nursery. I think of them as Go Fast #1 and Go Faster #2. With my husband being sick, I take his 2014 F250 Platinum out for a run once a week so it's not sitting. I've been warned, no dings, no dents and no burnouts.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #102
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
A pickup is for work. A 2 seat sports car is for fun. I have one of each.
I've seen some pretty hot trucks here in Texas, can have fun and do work too all in one vehicle.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've seen some pretty hot trucks here in Texas, can have fun and do work too all in one vehicle.
Some pickup trucks that I have seen here would require a ladder to even get in and out of them. I guess not all of them are like that but there sure are a lot that are.

Most sports cars are too low for me given my (mild but ever-present) arthritis.

My Venza (SUV) is the perfect height for me to get in and out of comfortably, and if I can't do whatever-it-is with my Venza, I shouldn't be doing it anyway at my age. I foolishly got the big engine and have never pushed the accelerator down even half way; if I did I'd be in earth orbit. So with its considerable maneuverability, it's plenty of fun to drive.

Somehow this post reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. "The truck was too high for Goldilocks. The sports car was too low. But the Venza was JUST the right height!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Auto threads always get back to pickup trucks.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Auto threads always get back to pickup trucks.
How could it be otherwise?
Best selling vehicles in the US:
  1. Ford F-series
  2. Chevrolet Silverado
  3. Dodge Ram

Once you get down to 4th place, the rest of the top ten are sedans or SUVs.
  • Toyota Camry
  • Toyota Corolla/Matrix
  • Honda Accord
  • Honda CR-V
  • Honda Civic
  • Nissan Altima
  • Toyota RAV4
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
How could it be otherwise?
Best selling vehicles in the US:
  1. Ford F-series
  2. Chevrolet Silverado
  3. Dodge Ram

Once you get down to 4th place, the rest of the top ten are sedans or SUVs.
  • Toyota Camry
  • Toyota Corolla/Matrix
  • Honda Accord
  • Honda CR-V
  • Honda Civic
  • Nissan Altima
  • Toyota RAV4
Right, but the thread started out as one discussing sporty mid-life crises type cars (Miata) , not every day, utilitarian models. Surely, by this point we have heard how great 'dem pickups are?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Right, but the thread started out as one discussing sporty mid-life crises type cars (Miata) , not every day, utilitarian models. Surely, by this point we have heard how great 'dem pickups are?
Looks to me like the OP has lots of room for different car models. Besides, in some parts of the US a pickup is the sporty mid-life crisis option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I looked at the various overpriced and tedious options, before deciding that the best replacement for my little ragtop was -- obviously -- a Mazda Miata. If you had an arthritic left knee and arthritic ankles and feet, would you be sensible and buy an automatic or would you choose something that was more fun? Or should I just buy some old lady, square sedan?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Besides, in some parts of the US a pickup is the sporty mid-life crisis option.
Apparently so.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #109
gone traveling

And considering the price tags on some of the high end truck models, you could buy 2 Miatas.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Some pickup trucks that I have seen here would require a ladder to even get in and out of them. I guess not all of them are like that but there sure are a lot that are.
I wonder if that's because New Orleans is a little bit below sea level on average?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I wonder if that's because New Orleans is a little bit below sea level on average?
Oh right! THAT must be it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #112

I've always subscribed to the logic of:

You need a sedan to haul the family
You need a truck to haul all your DIY stuff
You need a 4-wheeler to haul the camping gear where others can't go
and you need a sports car to, well, haul ass...

I have had all four all at the same time but I've been down one the last few years. No sports car has caught my eye in the way the previous ones did.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
My snakebit, elderly BMW tried to commit suicide again. It has since been patched together at no small expense, but my husband wants to send it off to the automobile rainbow bridge. I looked at the various overpriced and tedious options, before deciding that the best replacement for my little ragtop was -- obviously -- a Mazda Miata. If you had an arthritic left knee and arthritic ankles and feet, would you be sensible and buy an automatic or would you choose something that was more fun? Or should I just buy some old lady, square sedan?
My son's Audi was in a repair shop, so he borrowed my Nissan SUV and drove it for a couple of weeks. When he got his car back, he said "Oh man, I felt like I was driving a little car like a golf cart on the street". And an Audi S4 is not a golf cart!

I do not care to drive a behemoth SUV or pickup, but years of driving minivans and SUVs make it difficult for me to get up from a sedan with a low seat, let alone a sports car.

And no, I have no arthritis anywhere in my bones.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #114

What is your budget
Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not care to drive a behemoth SUV or pickup, but years of driving minivans and SUVs make it difficult for me to get up from a sedan with a low seat, let alone a sports car.
I've noticed that too as the years go by, and still no arthritis issues. We did notice it the last two weeks when pain in my right leg prevented moving it throughout the normal range. That's been resolved so all is good for now.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
No sports car has caught my eye in the way the previous ones did.
My dilemma too! But to get the one that does catch my fancy (the right old one), it would now cost more than my first house did!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #117
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know that people with families really need those minivans and SUVs.

But I hate driving behind them or parking next to them because of reduced visibility.

Too bad station wagons aren't popular any more. How about some new models with the fake wood panels?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote