Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow that is nice. It would have to be a lot more gray to work for me. But if I had more hair that would be the look.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
I am bringing this thread back to life. I am picking up the Miata tomorrow. 2016 Club 6 speed manual in red. As I 65 year old I am looking forward to being an old(er) guy in a little sports car.
Congratulations on your new Miata! I hope you have lots of fun driving it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #83
gone traveling

Oh ZMAN, sounds like a delayed mid-life crisis. Anyway, hope you have fun and much pleasure with the new ride.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Early life crisis was the MGB in 1980. Mid-life crisis was the S2000 in 2000 and this is the later life crisis. Also it is safer than the motorcycle I promised to give up in favor of a safer 4 wheeled toy.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand about the Miata. I looked hard at those in 2010. Ended up with a used 2004 Audi TT roadster. It is a lot of fun especially in the mountains. BTW, I can do that pony tail without the hat and pretty much white hair.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I have been a sports car purist for most of my life and used to scoff at automatics. But todays automatics are so good, and if you live in an area with heavy traffic, I for one, would not opt for a manual. Also, getting in and out of a low sports car may be a challenge for some as we age.
That's what I wonder. Have always had automatics. How much will you be able to shift if you're hitting a red light on virtually every intersection?

I often coast because I see the next light is turning or about to turn red.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to self-driving cars so I don't have to deal with the aggravation of driving.

OTOH, I may do a BMW lease on their European delivery program to drive through the Alps.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I went with the automatic with manual shifting ("tiptronic") for my last car, a Porsche. One less thing to worry about, but I always shift manually since me and the automatic don't see eye to eye very often. BMW should have a nice dual-clutch setup that you could use without a clutch.
I have a BMW with the dual clutch transmission. Wonderful transmission. I shift manually unless in traffic. Much better than the previous generation of SMG transmissions. The new DCT is really best of all worlds in my view. Can shift hard and fast or put in "auto" mode. All without having to raise you left leg over and over. I'm not sure how an auto transmission with paddles would compare to an actual dual clutch manual. I doubt it would be as sporty or give the feeling of the clutch engaging that I get with the DCT.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

OTOH, I may do a BMW lease on their European delivery program to drive through the Alps.
I picked up a BMW in Munich in 2006 as part of their Euro delivery program. Drove through Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. Had a fantastic time. Great new sporty car on Euro roads was a real blast. Probably should do it again.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So the DCT doesn't have a clutch pedal?

Like I said, most of my daily driving is in traffic, even when not in rush hour. A lot of times, you can't even accelerate to 40 MPH before you have to start slowing for the next light.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I picked up a BMW in Munich in 2006 as part of their Euro delivery program. Drove through Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. Had a fantastic time. Great new sporty car on Euro roads was a real blast. Probably should do it again.
Anyone who's considering european pickup (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) should definitely do it! It makes for a very fun european trip.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #91

Quote:

Like I said, most of my daily driving is in traffic, even when not in rush hour. A lot of times, you can't even accelerate to 40 MPH before you have to start slowing for the next light.
No pedal. Just "flappy paddles" on the sides of the steering wheel which let you override the computer's ideas on which gear you should be in. Most of the DCT cars have a variety of settings - eco, standard, sport, and often more.

I find setting my car in sport mode and letting the car pick the gears works very well for a fun ride on mountain roads.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #92

Quote:

As mentioned no clutch peddle, but it is a standard transmission in the sense the power is transmitted to the wheels via gears, not a fluid coupler. So if you are in a too high a gear the engine will "lug". You can set how fast the gears will change as well as select various "auto" modes. It's a great transmission.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #93

They showed a new Miata at the New York Auto Show.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #94

They have done comparisons between DCT and manual transmissions in Audi TTs with the same race car driver. The driver turned in slightly better times with the DCT.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

They showed a new Miata at the New York Auto Show.
That's a pretty sweet looking car.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

A little hisory on the DSG transmission:

Quote:
Originally marketed by Volkswagen as the DSG and Audi as the S-Tronic, dual clutch transmissions are now being offered by several automakers, including Ford, Mitsubishi, Smart, Hyundai and Porsche.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

The Dual Clutch Transmission - What it is and how it works
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Easy to understand overview.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Carpe diem.

I'm picking up a new BMW M3 in two weeks. I'm 73 and I figure I need to do it while I can.
I considered miata but am very tall, so it is a bit tight.
MikeTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #99

In contrast, I just acquired a 2016 f150. Around here I don't think you're really considered retired unless you have a truck. Do far I love it. A different kind of fun than the Miata!

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
In contrast, I just acquired a 2016 f150. Around here I don't think you're really considered retired unless you have a truck. Do far I love it. A different kind of fun than the Miata!

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
A pickup is for work. A 2 seat sports car is for fun. I have one of each. Oh, and I drive a Jeep Rubicon. Just wanted to make sure you knew you could have it both ways!

(The pickup is an extra heavy duty F250 with a snow plow and chains on all four wheels.)