Tanzania??

Niko

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone here spent time in Tanzania in the last few years? In particular, has anyone climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro? I am planning a trip for next February and am looking for input on guiding companies to the top of the mountain and perhaps other things to do.

I did the Kilimanajro climb with a friend in August, 2004. I can highly recommend East African Outdoor Safaris. Their head guide and co-owner, Kapanya, is truly top notch. He is Tanzanian but has also guided trips in Europe for a big American adventure travel company. Their rates are more than most local companies, but far less than booking with a big American outifitter, and you get top notch, luxury type Western service standards but for only slightly more than Tanzanian prices.   

I forget what we paid, but the price included two nights lodging at a luxury lodge before the trip and one night after. Our party included my friend and myself, Kapanya, two assistant guides,  21 porters (who carried the food, bottled water, tents, etc.), and 2 cooks.  That sounds a bit crazy but it was definitely worthwhile and much more comfortable than if we had done it on the cheap. The food was a real highlight of the climb.

We did the trip on the "Lemosho" route, which takes about 1-2 days longer than some other routes, but it's a very gradual climb and the extra day is great to have for acclimatization.

Here is the website for East African Outdoor Adventures:

http://www.eaoadventures.com

Hmm, things to do in Tanzania. Well, you could go see the site of the previous US Embassy in Dar es Salaam, destroyed by Islamic radicals in 1998 as a "warm up" to the 9/11 attacks. Killed eleven people, wounded scores of others, almost all innocent Tanzanians.

Of course, some whacko is likely to chime in now that it never really happened.

Never forget

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post.

samclem said:
Hmm, things to do in Tanzania. Well, you could go see the site of the previous US Embassy in Dar es Salaam, destroyed by Islamic radicals in 1998 as a "warm up" to the 9/11 attacks. Killed eleven people, wounded scores of others, almost all innocent Tanzanians.

Of course, some whacko is likely to chime in now that it never really happened.

Never forget

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post.

Well, if you eliminated destinations of the world because of the crimes some wacko committed then you'd pretty much have to stay home!

Unless you can think of Major City in the U.S. that has never had a murder? Maybe you think Oklahoma city is OK to visit because a former ex-military Right winger blew up a government building, and that was justified. :confused:

cottar's is the best but pricey and worth every penny. they are in kenya by the border of tanzania. very nice people, if e-mail them sure they could refer you to a spot in tanzania

http://www.cottars.com/

We haven't blown up any U.S Embassies in Canada.

Very interesting comments on Kilamanjero.

Our party included my friend and myself, Kapanya, two assistant guides,  21 porters (who carried the food, bottled water, tents, etc.), and 2 cooks.

You your bud and 26 of your closest servants.  Sounds like some high adventure and a real back to nature affair did you actually walk or did they carry you in one of those chairs with polls  :D

Sorry but I think I would rather hike alone or in a small group in the wilderness of the good old USA any day.

Do you need all those people for safety?

It really sounds awful and a logistical nightmare

bearkeley said:
Sorry but I think I would rather hike alone or in a small group in the wilderness of the good old USA any day.

It really sounds awful and a logistical nightmare

It sounds like you have a very narrow mind, and a spirit that lacks adventure. Stay home on the porch where you belong! ;)

The Tanania trip sounds fabulous! - don't let the small minded naysayers rain on your adventure! 8)

CT,

I never said or implied that Tanzania was a bad place to visit. It sounds like fun. So does Oklahoma city.

The original post mentioned a prospective trip to Tanzania. I thought it appropriate to offer a comment pointing out that the current war against the US/war on terror had an opening "battle" in Dar es`Salaam. Any traveler to the country would probably want to know about these events of 1998, it is very likely to come up in conversation while there, after all.

If a person mentioned they were going to Charleston, SC, I'd recommend they see Ft Sumter.

In what part of my post do I in any way justify the Oklahoma City bombing? :crazy:

There are posters on this board who lose no opportunity to bust on President Bush, the present policy of taking the fight to the terrorists, and/or to critique the war in Iraq. Methinks these folks maybe get a little "sensitive" if they read any reminder that our present fight began long before "W" and our involvement in Iraq.

Mt. Kilimanjaro sounds great. never been climbing but think it would be amazing. the serengeti is the most magical place i have ever been. went a few years back to kenya and tanzania (just over the border). nothing like it. fyi- went right after the terrorist attack in kenya, some botched attempt to fire at that israeli airline- el al i think. i got a discount trip and also felt like i wouldn't let jackoff terrorists scare me away. i won't give them that power.

I was out all day today on an 18-mile death march, but thank you to everyone who replied with your comments! I may pm one or two of you with some follow up questions. We have agreed to go, but it is still most of a year away, so we have some time to plan.

Barry

samclem said:
I thought it appropriate to offer a comment pointing out that the current war against the US/war on terror had an opening "battle" in Dar es`Salaam. Any traveler to the country would probably want to know about these events of 1998, it is very likely to come up in conversation while there, after all.

I appreciate your gesture; however, I was already aware of the 1998 bombings. Regardless, I generally don't eliminate travel destinations because a country has a tumultuous history.

Cut-Throat said:
It sounds like you have a very narrow mind, and a spirit that lacks adventure. Stay home on the porch where you belong! ;)

The Tanania trip sounds fabulous! - don't let the small minded naysayers rain on your adventure! 8)

Don't worry, CT, I ignoring naysayers is almost as easy as ignoring infomercials! I've noticed that far too many people (perhaps a vast majority of people in this country) come up with too many reasons to avoid doing something in their lifetime. That's okay. They can watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every day until they die.

Barry,

I was in Arusha, Tanzania in 2002. I'm not a mountain climber, but, in general, I found Tanzania to be laid back and quite enjoyable. Tusker beer is delicious, they have ATM machines and a (90 day?) visa on arrival for US $50

Go for it,

Lance

Barry,
Have a great trip. I'm with NYLady and you -- if the terrorists scare off visitors and bring things to a halt, then they have achieved a victory. Why give them that?

Will Robert Redford will be there to play Mozart and wash my hair? I'm in :-*

I've noticed that far too many people (perhaps a vast majority of people in this country) come up with too many reasons to avoid doing something in their lifetime. That's okay. They can watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every day until they die.

I go for choice C. I dont want to watch Wheel of Fortune everyday anymore than i want to end up like the self-described adventurer, Nick Berg.

Azanon said:
I go for choice C. I dont want to watch Wheel of Fortune everyday anymore than i want to end up like the self-described adventurer, Nick Berg.

The thread was about Tanzania, not Iraq! - Being a tourist is totaly different than working for an invading country.

Not that I ever wanted to go, but I would rule out traveling the Middle East until the World has drastically changed its view of America - Don't hold your breath on this one!

bearkeley said:
You your bud and 26 of your closest servants. Sounds like some high adventure and a real back to nature affair did you actually walk or did they carry you in one of those chairs with polls :D

You're required to have all those porters. It's for the local economy.

It's not exactly roughing it, and not quite mountaineering, but if you're gonna go, go now before the glaciers melt.

Cut-Throat said:
The thread was about Tanzania, not Iraq! - Being a tourist is totaly different than working for an invading country.

Not that I ever wanted to go, but I would rule out traveling the Middle East until the World has drastically changed its view of America - Don't hold your breath on this one!

You can't lump the whole middle east together, but I get your general point. And if people ask you where you are from, you can always say Canada. I had no problems in Turkey and Morocco, but those aren't hardcore Islamic fundamentalist places and I don't stick out as an American. Those in the Middle East who hate Americans only hate white Americans. And there are freaky fundamentalist people everywhere, not far from where I used to live in London was one of the craziest Mullahs, who had one eye and a hook for a hand, for real, not making this up, who advocated killing Americans. It was a huge scandal because he actually collected disability and all kinds of public benefits from the government. Ooh, just googled him. He was arrested a while back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Hamza_al-Masri

newyorklady said:
You can't lump the whole middle east together, but I get your general point. And if people ask you where you are from, you can always say Canada. I had no problems in Turkey and Morocco, but those aren't hardcore Islamic fundamentalist places and I don't stick out as an American.

I would have no problems going to Turkey, Morocco, Eqypt and many other countries. My list of Countries that I would not visit is Iraq, Iran, Jordon, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Afganistan, A few in Africa and others I'm sure that don't come to mind right now.

I have been to Turkey and I would have no problems going back. I felt safe the whole time but their government is totally different from the other countries in the Mideast. I am not sure that given the current climate that I would want to travel to other Mideast countries.

Barry -- Not sure that I can be of any help relative to some others on this thread, but let me give it a try.

Our little group of 4 climbed Kilimanjaro last January and went on Safari afterwards -- it was a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. You have an amazing trip in front of you and I am incredibly jealous!!!!

We stayed at and had our climb managed by the Marangu Hotel. We were very satisfied. Their staff is incredibly friendly, their porters (long-term employees) are well treated, the accommodations were fine (though not luxurious), and the grounds are lovely. Many African birds live on-site and they have a bird expert on staff if you have questions.

You can see Kilimanjaro from the lawn and imagine yourself on top! The food is good, and trek safety is top priority. A staffer comes by and inspects all your gear before leaving to make sure you have what you need.

Their website answers a lot of questions: www.maranguhotel.com

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

We took the longer route – 5 days to summit. We saw more of this incredible mountain, dramatically reduced the risk of altitude sickness, and increased our chances of making it to the top. We saw several very ill people on the way up -- none of us was so affected.

If I could do it over I’d come DOWN in two days vs. one. The summit climb was murder, given that we were processing 1/2 the usual oxygen, but going down was WORSE for me -- my knees were screaming all the way. Summit day was the physically hardest of my life -- you may be younger and have better knees though, so don't be dissuaded, just prepared. (This day was also very long -- we started for the summit at midnight and arrived back in camp late the next day. BUT! This punishing schedule put you on top to watch the sun rise over Africa -- unbelieveably beautiful.)

We asked the hotel for a guided walking tour of the area - we got a fabulous view into how the industrious Chagga people farm and live. One of the highlights of the trip.

My partner and I arrived several days early to get over jetlag. We were in much better shape that our traveling companions, who had to deal with the time change and altitude at the same time.

This was a very hard trip to pack for as it took us from sweltering jungle to rainforest to a freezing peak and back again. Not to mention a couple of days in Amsterdam in winter. Our porters did the hard work on the climb but we had to pack and unpack every night and schlep everything through airports, too. We had a LOT more than we needed, despite severe editing prior to the trip.

We needed a lot of shots, and some had to be taken well before the trip because they required boosters and/or a time-lag to take effect.

For the summit push, our guide urged us to dress as warmly as possible – Uhuru Peak temperatures can be well below zero. Trouble is, we ROASTED ALIVE inside all those clothes on the steep climb up. For a while I thought I'd faint. Next time I’ll wear coats, sweaters, and even long underwear with zippers so I can better regulate my temperature.

Those little chemical boot-warmer inserts were lifesavers – no cold feet, even at sub-zero temps.

We were stunned and amazed by the poverty in Africa – it was unimaginable in places. We were WEARING more on our persons than most Tanzanians make in a year and, while we were insulated from other people by our guides on the hike and on safari, we turned into fair game in the larger towns and at the base of the mountain after the hike. We didn’t feel threatened, exactly, but mobs of street peddlers trying to sell us trinkets refused to take “no” for an answer. It was very uncomfortable.

Colonialism is alive and well in Africa and it took some getting used to. The porters worked harder than I’ve ever seen anyone toil. They climbed the mountain with 65 lbs on their heads, often in sandals. The sweat ran off them at lower elevations, and some of them froze up high. It’s a tradition to give away some / all of your cold-weather gear after the trip – and we brought extra gear to distribute. Hiking boots are especially prized as they’re not made in this jungle country, even if anyone could afford them. My porter jumped as though stung when I came over to him with my boots in hand, he was so delighted. His old boots were so used up that the soles flapped open at the toes.

My DP learned several phrases in Swahili and was well rewarded for his effort – the guides, porters, and hotel staff really appreciated it and opened right up to him with smiles and help with pronounciation.

Most of the trinkets you buy in the local shops or on the street are cheaper in Kilimanjaro airport. Unless you see something really special, you can get cloth, beaded belts, wooden statues, etc. etc. at the end of the trip. (Or, for that matter, on Ebay.)

If you can swing it at ALL find a safari. I have a recommendation if you want it. Ngorongo crater was TEEMING with wildlife and a trip to a Maasai village was a real eyeopening experience. Not to be missed!'

One last comment -- waterless hand sanitizer. Lots of it.

Whew – back to work – feel free to ask if you have more specific questions! And -- have the time of your life!
Caroline

P.S. We flew into Kilimanjaro airport – Dar Es Saalam and terrorist bombers were long ago and far away.

Back
Top Bottom