Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tell the truth do you gloat ...just a little?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never…. Maybe a little…
celebrate, crow, exult, glory, hee-haw, horse laugh, rejoice, relish, revel in, triumph, vaunt, whoop, , boast, brag, brazen, browbeat, hector, intimidate, rant, rave, roar, roister, show off, storm, strut, swagger, swell, talk big, vaunt, yap, advertise, aggrandize, attract attention, blow, bluster, bullshit, bully, exaggerate, exult, fake, flaunt, flourish, gasconade, grandstand, hug oneself, jive, prate, preen, psych, puff, shoot, show off, showboat, sound off, strut, swagger, talk big, triumph…… but never gloat. Got to go, just got another email and I have to brag a little.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Per the smug thing. I don't feel that way at all. When someone tells me their dire situation I usually feel truly sad for them.

Even if they are on some idiotic spending warpath you just have to have some sympathy for them.

Their values are just not the same as mine.
I have sympathy for people who have had catastrophic events that plunged them into dire financial straits -- illness, accident, that sort of thing.

But people who are making at least as much as DH and I do but complain about how they can't afford their debts, lifestyle, etc. -- they chose to get into that situation and they can choose to get out of it. Will it be easy? Of course not; nothing worth the doing is. But they had the same opportunities to learn about finance that I did and chose either not to learn or to ignore or forget what they did learn. It's hard for me to have any sympathy for that kind of thing in any form.

Yes, I am a cold-hearted wench. Why do you ask?

Old 07-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Apathy does seem like a curious choice.*

But I'm intrigued by the way you wrote about competiveness, as if it's a bad thing.
often things are good or bad depending on context and usage. competitiveness might get you early to retirement, but afterwards it might simply hinder your ability to fully enjoy it.

you can spend time comparing yourself to others whereby you have to look out to see in or you can take the time & methods you used to compare yourself to others and simply & more deeply enjoy introspection.

as to why i used the word competitiveness: it struck me that this is from where gloating derives. when we compete, we open the door to gloat. when we work on the same team, we open the door to empathy.

ps wrong word edited, thank you for bringing that to attention.

pps i would remind everyone that without the majority of our population, um, competitively over-spending, you likely would not have the economy allowing for your early retirement. so towards them you shouldn't be gloating; you should, at worst, be grateful. this is known as holy gloating: thank god they still have to work.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #24

Competitiveness might get you early to retirement, but afterwards it might simply hinder your ability to fully enjoy it.

I have a good friend who's like this; he's constantly comparing himself to others and then getting discouraged. And since I'm one of his best friends, he tends to compare himself to me alot. For instance, I bought my first home, a condo, when I was 24. He didn't actually buy his first place, a small townhome, until he was 29. But then he forgets the fact that I went through financial problems and couldn't afford to keep it for awhile, had to move in with my Grandma and rent it out for awhile, and take on a second job to make ends meet.

I bought my first (and only ever) new car when I was 29. He's never had a brand-new car, although he did buy a 2004 Crown Vic with only 10,000 miles on it in the summer of '04. And he has had newer cars than me. Before that he had a '95 Grand Marquis, bought in 1999. Before the Intrepid, I had a 1989 Gran Fury, bought in 1998. And I've had a number of cars that are older than me!

And we do compare salary notes from time to time, and I'm always ahead of him. However, I'm also 3 years older, and have simply been in the workforce longer. If you actually take his age into consideration, he's making more at whatever given age than I did when I was that age. For example, he recently topped the $50,000 mark, right around the time he turned 33. I didn't top the $50K barrier until July of 2005, when I was 35.

He spends too much money eating out and running around and stuff, but he does at least try to save for the future. He puts money into whatever the teacher's equivalent of a 401k is, and I think he'll actually get a pension. And he's been paying extra on his house. I think he's been paying the car note down ahead of time, too. He really is a lot better off than he thinks he is, but since he's constantly finding ways to compare himself to others to where they might look "better" than him, he just never seems to get the opportunity to enjoy his lot in life.

He's also looking at a promotion in the next year, maybe sooner, which will put him into the mid/upper $60K range. I figure at the rate I'm going, I probably won't break $60K for another 3-4 years, unless I get promoted. But I'm not going to let that worry me. I'm still on track with investing and saving, and with any luck I'll end up retired by the time I turn 45. 50 at the worst. And then my buddy will probably start whining because I retired at a younger age than he! : Oh well, at least he can gloat about having a higher salary.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #25

Quote:
I just stood there smiling...I'm in no hurry, no work waiting for me, no need to be a jerk or be confrontational to the jerk...my muffin still awaits...
Which jerk were you considering confronting?* The woman in the rush or the man who spilled her coffee?* * Just curious
Old 07-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I used to enjoy the buzz of the workplace. Now I enoy the placid nature of retirement. I am up at 4 watching Squawk etc, then on the computer from 7 until 11, then shower and out for the day's tasks. Usually back home for a cocktail on the patio around 430 (sometimes the task is reading on the patio so starts earlier).

If I am in line and someone is in a hurry, I will offer to buy their items while they wait in their double-parked car. If it is in the bank, I will offer to help them find a parking spot.