Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus
Great post. The details might be different but so much of it applies to many of the people I know who were faced with an involuntary retirement in their fifties. Love the numerology too.

We can get those high schoolers to read these boards--just start them in the Funny Joke thread.... Some good dirty jokes there.

Totally agree with how much the boards have taught me (especially the Funny Joke thread--just kidding). Every discussion includes so many circumstances and POVs, and some will apply to me--maybe (usually not) not the adamant "this is the no-brainer way and everyone should live like this" post, but the "this is what worked for me" posts often contain invaluable information, based on actual experience. The lack of agreement among posters is one of the strongest elements for me, because life is so different for all of us.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks Marko.

It's funny. It's said that as you get older you get set in your ways. Seems to me, there's quite a bit of evolution happening in your life. And for the better.

Elbata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
Excellent post. I can relate to some of your experiences now that I am 4 years in. I hope I can share as thoughtful a summary as yours when I reach 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.
Enjoyed your post Marko. Reassuring for those about to RE and those of us that recently made the leap.
I agree that this forum is awesome. I continue to learn from the posts and definitely attribute my ability to RE to the knowledge and motivation from others on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
One of the best things I've read
Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.
One of the best things I've read

Absolutely great post Marko.

About 2 years ago when I decide that I was pulling the plug on work at megacorp in 2016 I decided to start really doing some retirement investigation.

Talk about eye opening.

99.9% of retirement stuff on the net is all about how we are doomed, we will be eating cat food under a bridge somewhere or worse.
Now I recognized that most of the articles are written geared toward folks who have done nothing, but the whole time I kept wondering....

Isn't anyone out there actually enjoying retirement?? Not uber wealthy folks, just plain LBYM jane and joes? Why weren't they writing blogs?

Your post was very refreshing and I admit I still have anxiety some times but it's nice to hear from your happy side.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
Fantastic post!!! Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm coming up on 2 years and it just keeps getting better day after day after day. 😀😃🤗

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets
Fantastic post.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today is my 6 month anniversary of ER. I'm behind in my forum reading because I'm out and about having all sorts of fun.

Wonderful post Marko. Eloquently written and very insightful. I'm so happy for you. Happy (belated) Anniversary

"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

retirement insights