Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Patron Anejo. $45 per 750 ml. I like it kept in the freezer. I "graduated" from Jose Quervo Gold...lol.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was in Oaxaca last winter, my friend wanted to buy several small bottles of mezcal as gifts. We stopped at a mezcal maker in a small town outside of Oaxaca city, and we must have been given at least a dozen different types of mezcal to taste. My friend bought several bottles. It was perfect for me since a little sip was all I really wanted. I'm not really a lover of strong alcohol. I preferred pulque, a refreshing fermented drink also made from agave, but with a low alcohol content.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #23

I also like to sip a good tequila and never saw the point of downing a shot quickly, unless you're drinking something nasty, that is. One of my favorite tequilas is Milagro.

That said, I really like the smokiness of Monte Alban mezcal, cheap stuff that it is. This is sort of a side question since mezcal isn't tequila, but tequila is a type of mezcal - can anyone recommend a good tequila or mezcal with a good smoky flavor? (Although Monte Alban is the only mezcal I've ever seen for sale around here).
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
When I was in Oaxaca last winter, my friend wanted to buy several small bottles of mezcal as gifts. We stopped at a mezcal maker in a small town outside of Oaxaca city, and we must have been given at least a dozen different types of mezcal to taste. My friend bought several bottles. It was perfect for me since a little sip was all I really wanted. I'm not really a lover of strong alcohol. I preferred pulque, a refreshing fermented drink also made from agave, but with a low alcohol content.
Hmmmm, sounds like the place I visited.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

At my brother's home tonight, after dinner he introduced an unopened bottle of Tequila, and poured myself and my other brother some shots. It was a surprise to me, because none of us were Tequila drinker. Perhaps my brother has been to this forum, but did not tell me about it. Or was it just a coincidence. I have yet to go get myself a bottle, like I really intended to when I started this thread. I meant to, but kept forgetting with other things I had to do.

What a pleasant surprise! It was so smooth, a lot better than I would expect. All these years, drinking cheap Tequila that was served in Margarita gave me such a wrong prejudice. I have been completely missing out!

Moreover, the bottle that my brother bought was the following one. And as he showed me the bottle, I remembered that was a brand that some posters said was not a true premium brand. Yes, Patron. Wow! If this bottle tastes so good, I wonder what the "real good stuff" taste like.

One shot, and I was a convert!

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #26

I drink Patron, but I prefer the Patron Anejo. Just my preference. I'm sure it's all good. The Anejo is a little more $$ than what you have pictured. I believe that's Patron Silver in your pic. Either way, it's WAY better than the cheapo stuff I used to drink...

The Anejo is $45.70 (750 ml) where I buy it on the military base. I don't know what it costs off-base.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #27

When I was living in Mexico last year, I tried Tequila for the first time straight. It seemed to be so important to some Mexicans that I thought it must be good and my friends said I must have some on my birthday. Yuk. Sorry, I just didn't like it and I don't get it.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yuk?

Do you like any other spirit? Plenty of people never drink 80-proof stuff. I remember a poster here who thinks of my beloved eaux de vie (fruit brandies) as gasoline.

But if a guy can drink whiskey, gin, or rum, etc..., in a straight shot, he should be able to appreciate Tequila. The flavor of the Tequila in that Patron was surprisingly mellow, not what I expected as I only had Tequila in Margarita and expected it to be a lot stronger. Now, that shot was a Blanco, and I now understand why an earlier poster said that the aged anejo may take away too much of the flavor that makes Tequila unique.

And I did a bit of price check, and found out that of the same brand, there is not that much increase in price between a Blanco, Reposado, then an Anejo. For example, the prices for the Patron 3 grades are $40, $47, and $48 for the 750-mL size, as I checked online at Bevmo.

In contrast, the 3 grades of Cognac from a particular brand differ more in price. With Courvoisier as a typical brand, the prices of VS, VSOP, and XO bottles are $25, $33, and $130. That last price is typical for an XO grade from a Cognac maker. There are of course bottles that cost much higher, from $1000 to a ridiculous price of $1.7 million.

I can barely afford the consumer XO grade which I do not drink daily of course. Once thought I would get a $1K bottle for my 50th birthday. Well, I forgot about it when that birthday passed, and might not get it even if I remembered. Maybe for my 60th birthday. Maybe not, as my palate is probably gone by then.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #29

Got a small bottle of Don Julio Añejo for X-mas this year in addition to the standard whiskies; now, I wonder if some of my family is lurking here.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #30

I picked up a 750ml bottle of Patron Anejo today. After reading NW-Bound's post, I'm thinking I need to try the Silver, too. Also picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 Yr single malt scotch for a friend. Never tried that either (have never dranks scotch at all), but I wanna sometime.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Those interested in Tequila should become very familiar with this site.

Quote:
The above two categories of Tequila are then divided into the following five types of Tequila and are labeled as such:

Tequila Silver - Blanco - Plata - White - Platinum
This is the Blue Agave spirit in its purest form. It is clear and typically un-aged, where the true flavors and the intensity of the Agave are present, as well as the natural sweetness. It can be bottled directly after distillation, or stored in stainless steel tanks to settle for up to 4 weeks. There are some Blanco products that are aged for up to 2 months to provide a smoother or "Suave" spirit.

Tequila Gold - Joven - Oro
Gold Tequila is typically a Mixto, where colorants and flavorings have been added prior to bottling. These "young and adulterated" Tequilas are less expensive and used in many bars and restaurants for "mixed drinks".
There are exceptions however, as a "Gold" or "Joven" Tequila can also be the result of blending a Silver Tequila with a Reposado and/or Añejo Tequila, while keeping the 100% Agave classification.

Tequila Reposado
A Reposado Tequila is the first stage of "rested and aged". The Tequila is aged in wood barrels or storage tanks between 2 months and 11 months. The spirit takes on a golden hue and the taste becomes a good balance between the Agave and wood flavors. Many different types of wood barrels are used for aging, with the most common being American or French oak. Some Tequilas are aged in used bourbon / whiskey, cognac, or wine barrels, and will inherit unique flavors from the previous spirit.
Reposado Tequilas are also referred to as "rested" and "aged".

Tequila Añejo (extra aged)
After aging for at least one year, Tequila can then be classified as an "Añejo". The distillers are required to age Añejo Tequila in barrels that do not exceed 600 liters. This aging process darkens the Tequila to an Amber color, and the flavor can become smoother, richer, and more complex.
Añejo Tequilas are also referred to as "aged" and "extra-aged".

Tequila Extra Añejo (ultra aged)
A new classification added in the summer of 2006, labeling any Tequila aged more than 3 years, an "Extra Añejo". Following the same rule as an "Añejo", the distillers must age the spirit in barrels or containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters. With this extended amount of aging, the Tequila becomes much darker, more of a Mahogany color, and is so rich that it becomes difficult to distinguish it from other quality aged spirits. After the aging process, the alcohol content must be diluted by adding distilled water. These Extra Añejo’s are extremely smooth and complex.
Extra Añejo Tequilas are also referred to as "ultra-aged".
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Also picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 Yr single malt scotch for a friend. Never tried that either (have never dranks scotch at all), but I wanna sometime.
Years ago someone asked me to try a blended scotch. I REALLY didn't like it. Then I visited a distillery on a trip to Scotland. After the tour we sampled two kinds of Single Malt Scotch. One was the brand from the distillery (Blair Athol in Pitlochry, in the lower Highlands). Wow! It was a totally different experience from the blended scotch. I brought a bottle back, and after five years I still have some of it left because I only taste it on special occasions. This particular brand is only special order in my area.

The other single malt they let us sample was one with a strong peat nose to it. It was called Caol Ila, produced in the western isles near Port Askaig, Isle of Islay. This one has a different taste experience and is excellent, available in my area, but not cheap. I think 12-year is around $75. The 18-year, when it's available, is over $90. These are not spirits I feel free to partake of all the time due to the cost. But at special moments find them on the top of my list. I can't say I've developed a taste for Tequila.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The Scotch equivalent to what I suggested for Tequila can be found in these two sites:

A to Z of Scotch Whisky Information - Scotch whisky .net
Whisky.com Complete Guide to Scotch Whisky

(Note the lack of the "e," denoting that it is from Scotland.)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Years ago someone asked me to try a blended scotch. I REALLY didn't like it. Then I visited a distillery on a trip to Scotland. After the tour we sampled two kinds of Single Malt Scotch. One was the brand from the distillery (Blair Athol in Pitlochry, in the lower Highlands). Wow! It was a totally different experience from the blended scotch...
I occasionally drink whisky too, but have yet to spend time to appreciate the difference between different kinds of whisky. The best I have bought was just a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label.

Talk about blended spirits, I know that better-known Cognacs are nearly always blended, and it is the task of the house master taster to blend different batches from different distilleries to achieve a consistent quality and style. This gives the drinker a measure of reliability, but perhaps takes away some unique flavors that might be possible.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Get yourself that primo bottle of Tequila for New Years babe. Do it.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Get yourself that primo bottle of Tequila for New Years babe. Do it.
Yes, Ma'am!

But I do not know about this "primo" that you spoke of. As I described, it was a pleasant surprise that I found the bottle that my brother poured so agreeable, I would be quite happy to get it or something equivalent. Do I need to spend more?

However, as I will have my brothers over for New Year dinner, I definitely like to get something else, so that we can taste it and compare with the first. I have not paid attention to what Costco carries, so will stop by there first. I have also looked up the address of the nearest Bevmo. Good thing I did, because it moved since the last time I was there. I am a man with a quest.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

An update on my Tequila tasting quest.

I did a bit of research online, and found a bottle of Reposado Tequila with decent reviews, yet not that expensive. It's the "Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila". See linked photo below.

I tasted that with my brothers after New Year Day dinner, and compared that with the Blanco Patron. Surprisingly, we liked the non-aged Patron better. The Reposado Tequila smelled too "woodsy". The label said that they used French limousin white oak. Hmm... That is the same oak that is typically used to age Cognac. So, I pulled out my trusty XO cognac bottle, and we all had a sip. Nope, it's smooth and very mild, with no noticeable smell of wood.

What's going on? I do not know, but XO cognac still rules supreme for me. However, the difference between the Blanco and Reposado we tasted could be due to different brands. We all agreed that we needed to taste the Blanco and Reposado from the same brand, meaning Patron, in order to see the effect of the aging.

The quest goes on... I also bought some vodka and gin bottles, but we did not taste all those bottles, and had to save them for another day.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I remember a poster here who thinks of my beloved eaux de vie (fruit brandies) as gasoline.

It's a matter of taste methinks. I sampled some great eaux de vie during the holidays, all handcrafted by my dad. He traditionally made brandy from pears only, but he has branched out in recent years and now makes brandies from other fruits as well as herbs and flowers.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Again, let me point you to Tequila.net, specifically Reposados - Tequila Reviews at Tequila.net. The "Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila" has a respectable rating of 91 so it can't be all that bad. In any event, you may want to read reasons for why members gave their individual rating for hints on finding your own personal taste preference.

I do have to agree with your opinion of X(tra) O(ld) brandy.

Tags
alcohol, booze, drink, spirit, tequila