Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing. I usually play pretty fast. Since I play ready and use cheap balls and do not look for them for more than a few seconds.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It sounds like you're a guy who is used to becoming proficient at whatever physical endeavor you put your mind to. You're frustrated that it's not working for golf and so you're not enjoying it. You've tried lessons without success so I'm not sure more would do much good. If it were me, I'd move on: there are just so many other outdoor activities to spend time on and actually enjoy.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Grip it and rip it...but not too much! I feel your pain and am very frustrated with the game as well. I always do better when I walk the course versus using a cart. Best score ever was an 88, but most days I'm nearer 100.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any golfers out there hitting 110-130 and still staying with it? Seems like many or most of you are still below 100, which is much more respectable on the course.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not me, but I know a few.

We have a few guys in our Thursday league who regularly shoot 110 or so but still get out there and enjoy the game and the camaraderie. We also have a 9-hole scramble group on Sunday afternoons that is specifically designed for beginners and high-handicappers.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
Are there any golfers out there hitting 110-130 and still staying with it?
Me. My lowest score so far has been 113. I have absolutely no sporting ability and lessons have had limited impact, but I enjoy my good shots, getting the occasional par, exercising outdoors in a pleasant environment with friends and celebrating their good shots. Every time I have a bad run I ask myself whether I'm having fun. The answer is always yes.

I play twice weekly and there has been some slow and steady improvement. I joke that if I play consistently for 10 years I may become average. One group is very strict on rules, handicap, etc. and it was intimidating when I first joined. But some of the weekly games involve adjusted scores, which means I may win a prize if I am doing better than my handicap that week. This helps me keep motivated.

My question to the OP is: are you having fun?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #27

Quote:
One thing. I usually play pretty fast. Since I play ready and use cheap balls and do not look for them for more than a few seconds.
Hate to say it but my first thought from your initial write-up was how do you find anyone to play with? I can play with just about anyone except a slow golfer but it sounds like you make a good effort to move along. Golf is one of those games where you're never satisfied, as soon as you improve you'll always want to get to the next level. What tees do you play from? From the distance you hit it you have to play from the shortest tees available, no matter what tees your partners play from.

Don't keep score! Enjoy the few good shots you hit, the walk, and your partners company.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm lucky to break 100 and I know there are people worse than me that keep playing.

Another suggestion, when your wife joins you, use the best shot between you. Might make it easier to forget about the bad shots.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I can not imagine how anyone playing 16 years can shoot a 140 unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved.
Wait a minute -- you make it sound like that's a bad thing!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are there any golfers out there hitting 110-130 and still staying with it? Seems like many or most of you are still below 100, which is much more respectable on the course.
No - my index fluctuates between 13 and 15 (depending on the time of year)

If I don't break 100 (adjusted), DW has to hide the rope, razors and rat poison.

Now I didn't start playing golf until I was 36 and I quit for a few years so I may have 14 years or so under my belt, but I played or practiced just about every day for the first 5 years I played.

I think you need to adjust your stance and see a new pro, YYMV.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
good for you - make sure you are comfortable and ready to hit through - that my be causing some miss hits
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Don't mean to be sarcastic but you must be one uncoordinated fellow. I can not imagine how anyone playing 16 years can shoot a 140 unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved. Golf can be broken down into its component parts of driving, iron play, short game and putting. It's hard to believe anyone could not master to some degree of proficiency at least one or two of these components.

All that said if you love the game, keep at it and go out with the attitude of having a good time and don't worry about the score.
One thing that is being ignored in all these comments is the frozen shoulder. I have had that problem myself (not a golfer), and I can't imagine swinging a golf club when I've got it. The pain might not be excruciating if you adjust for it, but it would sure screw up your swing. Mine went away after a couple of years, but not because of physical therapy or medical treatment. It just comes and goes on it's own.

Other than that, the only thing I could imagine that would help is a driving range and a few hundred hours of repetitive hitting. As far as your putting, how's your vision? Or your patience?

Personally, I live on a golf course (6th green right behind my deck), and haven't hit a ball in the entire 8 years we've lived here. Between the greens fees, cart fees, and equipment and clothes I suspect I've saved pretty close to a year's expenses over that time by not playing. I do have a couple of milk crates full of balls I've picked up over the years when walking on the cart path if anybody wants to buy them.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
One thing that is being ignored in all these comments is the frozen shoulder. .
agreed - however I have played golf with a one-armed guy and he kicked my butt as well as the big bopper's

he had a good sand game too
Old 09-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You sound like my DH and me. In my experience a woman golfer isn't expected to be really good (not that many woman golfers aren't) so your DW probably doesn't put as much pressure on herself and can just enjoy it and savor the good shots--I'm not very good but I love to play golf. DH rarely plays and is superfrustrated and self-conscious, but he does like playing with other mediocre guy golfers (and they keep up with the group in front of them, imo the most important thing). He's lefthanded, too, but grew up playing righthanded--he improved quite a bit when he bought lefthand clubs.

DH has commented that not wearing bifocals while playing helps his game, so above advice re vision issues might be important. My left eye is dominant and I have to compensate for that when aiming.

Wow that is scary! That is exactly what my wife would have written! And you are right, I only like playing with mediocre players. Indeed my current crisis of confidence arose from playing yesterday with a very nice couple who are our friends and are also excellent golfers, at our club no less. By the time we were done I felt like the small child being complimented for even the slightest achievement. And I know they did not mean it that way. Golf just pushes those buttons when I am with better players. Which I make sure rarely happens.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
when you swing the club do you use your arms or your body?

watch this a few times

Oh my, what a beautiful swing!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, don't be afraid to take what I call "liberties". If you can't hit the ball out of the sand trap after one try, pick up the ball and toss it onto the green or fairway. Fluff up your shots for a better lie. If a tree limb is in the way, kick the ball to where you have a chance at a decent swing. If you ball is just off the fairway and in the rough, move it to the fairway. Just tell you playing partners that you'll be taking liberties so you enjoy the game a little more. If they have a problem with it, find other playing partners.

Of course if you are in a league or formal tournament, you wouldn't be able to do the above, but for casual play try it.

We play at a course that has stupid drainage ditches running across the fairway. It's nearly impossible to find your ball in the tall grass that fills the ditches. Losing a ball in the ditch is penalty enough. So my friends know I'm not going to count an extra stroke on top of losing the ball.

If my score is decent at the end of the round, I remind my friends that it's decent because "I took liberties."
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I get utility even out of bad golf. Maybe even more when I worked. I am a problem solver by nature and I find poor golf takes away any mental bandwidth I might have spent fretting about something else. You kid could be in prison, your wife ran off with the postman and the IRS is after you, but for a few hours, all you can think about is how can I get rid of this horrible duck hook!

It is therapeutic.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I completed a round a couple of weeks ago and carded a 111. It was a great day as i was just hoping to break 120! My buddies were in the mid 90's. We had a great time and a couple of beers. There may be a correlation there.

I had played a little as a teenager but then went on a 30 year hiatus. About 4 years ago i reconnected with some friends i had not seen in 15 years and joined them for an annual golf trip. We have people who play all the time and people who play once a year. We just split into 2 foursomes and play best ball. It is great fun.

For me as long as i get that one or two good shots a round, i am hooked. But as someone wrote above you immediately think of the three putts that lipped out, the four shots that travelled about 10 yards, and the adventure in the sand trap. Add those up and i could break 100! Maybe next time.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #39

ZMAN-

You've already received lots of good advice...as well as Frayne's recommendation to drink more.

I'd add the following to those recommendations:
1. Find a new teaching pro & take a series of lessons. If there's a GolfTec in your area, I'd recommend them.
2. Hit the driving range or practice booth, instead of playing, until you notice improvements; this goes in combo with #1. (I like to practice as much as playing so, this is easier for me than some but, it will help your game.)
3. When you start to play again, ease into it with 9-holes at a time and/or a par-3 executive course, while still hitting the practice facility heavily.

Also, come join us on the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread. There are lots of golfers there with a wide range of capabilities and experiences. I expect you'll find some good advice there, and likely a few like-minded folks with whom you can occasionally commiserate.

Good luck! Hit 'em long & straight!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
agreed - however I have played golf with a one-armed guy and he kicked my butt as well as the big bopper's

he had a good sand game too
Truthfully, I suspect it would be easier to play with one arm (after you've practiced for a good long while) than with a frozen shoulder. At least you'd have full range of motion. Maybe ZMan should try using just one arm.

When I had a frozen shoulder I couldn't wash my back, put anything in an overhead cabinet, and even turning the steering wheel could end up causing excruciating pain. Maybe his isn't as bad, I don't know. The very last thing I'd have wanted to do was swing a golf club.