Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most people who "enjoy" golf, find it frustrating. It's the social aspect, fresh air & "exercise", and/or those rare good/great shots that keep most people coming back for more.

Are you having as much fun as this guy?
https://youtu.be/b6YtYFuKLsM

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

the full swing is hard, but i am convinced ANYONE can learn to chip and putt.

I'm not talking about "getting up and down" like a pro every time, but getting your chip onto the green somewhere and getting down in 2 putts most of the time.

Do you practice your game at all? If so, do you practice your short game a lot?

and here's the bigger question: Do you like to practice? I love it. I practice more than I play. Probably I'd be better if I played a bit more, but I love to practice. Some people hate it, so if you do hate it, don't do it. It's supposed to be fun. But if you don't practice, there is no chance you will improve much.

Good luck, I hope something happens to help you enjoy the game. It's a great game, especially if you can walk the course. BTW, I typically only play 9 holes at a time. I am capable of 18, but after about 12 holes I wish I were done. i.e. it's not fun anymore.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
....as well as Frayne's recommendation to drink more. ..
Actually there is something to that. A couple weeks ago I was having a poor round and the beverage cart came by around the 5th hole and I decided to have a beer... very unusual for me as I usually do not drink beer while golfing. I ended up with a 40 on the back nine... very good for me (my index is 17).

Then last weekend I was 2nd place net in a family tournament... the first four places after the first round were in the last group and I beat all of them but the 5th place guy in the next to last group had a great day and snuck up and beat me by two strokes. DW played in his group and said he had the flask going at 8:30 am in the morning!

As for practicing, I don't enjoy it and don't practice much, other than perhaps 4 foot putts at home... but I agree that it may make sense for the OP until he can get to the point where he makes consistent contact.

OP, how often do you play? In my experience you need to play at least twice a week to improve your game and preferable 3 times a week.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
....I am capable of 18, but after about 12 holes I wish I were done. i.e. it's not fun anymore.
We play an interesting course a few months ago where every 4 or 5 holes you were back to the clubhouse... they designed it that way intentionally so they did not need to put restrooms out on the course but I can see where it could also be used by folks who only want to play 13 or 14 holes. For me, 9 holes is not enough but often 18 is too many.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been playing off and on since I was 16. That's 41 years. I still struggle to break 100 routinely. I enjoy it, but I do COMPLETELY get the frustration and how it can bleed over into other parts of your life.

My DW is convinced that I had to start taking BP meds because of golf. I don't think so, it was just the timing of my starting the game again and my age at the time.

Jack Nicklaus told his wife to play tennis instead of golf. More exercise, more social, less frustrating.

If you truly enjoy it, keep it up. If not, find something else. Life's too short.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like someone else posted, post a swing video. That would go a long way to helping you.
Are you losing tons of balls, taking penalty strokes? If the driver is your problem, hit any club you can reliably get in the fw no matter the distance. Play every hole like it's one more par then it is, this means even laying up on some par 3's.
Do not take any risks whatsoever. Hit it in the trees? Just punch I out,even sideways or backwards if necessary , do not compound your mistakes.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #47

BUT what about the frozen shoulder? I'm not a golfer but I did have a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) and it causes excruciating pain. How long has the OP had this condition or is this a different type of "frozen shoulder"? I went for physical therapy and it cleared up. I had full range of motion in a couple of months. For some people it can go away in a few months or years but I couldn't take that unexpected pain. It doesn't hurt all the time but if you move a certain way it's like an electric shock goes through your arm. I can't figure out how he's playing golf with that pain.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #48

I just re-read your original post. If you have a frozen lead shoulder, you might want to try the Jimmy Ballard swing

In this video, at about :57 he talks about using "half a left arm" or in your case half a right (lead) arm. This is the way I swing and it's a time proven method. Sounds like it would be perfect for you. If you go to Ballard's website and ask, they'll give you the name of the nearest Ballard instructor.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I had frozen shoulder from a ski fall a number of years ago. I do not recall that it inhibited my golf swing but I play a lot less golf back then.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I can not imagine how anyone playing 16 years can shoot a 140 unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved...

People play golf sober? Next you'll be claiming that people go bowling sober...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I had frozen shoulder from a ski fall a number of years ago. I do not recall that it inhibited my golf swing but I play a lot less golf back then.

I had a frozen margarita. Didn't help my game, but improved my outlook!

I suck at golf, so take this with a grain of salt and a lime, but I can drive with a half swing better than a full swing. Aside from being stiffer than a wedding ----, my mechanics go straight to hell on a full swing. Also, keeping my right elbow tucked in mostly cured my tendency to slice.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We play an interesting course a few months ago where every 4 or 5 holes you were back to the clubhouse... they designed it that way intentionally so they did not need to put restrooms out on the course but I can see where it could also be used by folks who only want to play 13 or 14 holes. For me, 9 holes is not enough but often 18 is too many.
Another benefit of a course like this is that it "drinks well". No need for the beverage cart.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting subject to me. I started golf about 8 years ago at 49. I was a pretty good tennis player, but am a mediocre golfer (17 handicap).

Don't be too hard on yourself!
What Percentage of Golfers Shoot Under 100? - GolfBlogger | GolfBlogger

Last spring I had a frozen left shoulder and could not swing a club and needed numerous painful visits to a PT to fix it. But worth every penny and grimace so that I can play this silly game.

I have improved this year by slowing my backswing, truly rotating vs swaying and enjoying the good shots and not worrying about the many crappy ones. If things go south I simply quit keeping score and tend to enjoy the time more.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I just re-read your original post. If you have a frozen lead shoulder, you might want to try the Jimmy Ballard swing

In this video, at about :57 he talks about using "half a left arm" or in your case half a right (lead) arm. This is the way I swing and it's a time proven method. Sounds like it would be perfect for you. If you go to Ballard's website and ask, they'll give you the name of the nearest Ballard instructor.
Oops, I just screwed that up. You have a bad trail shoulder. Still, Ballard is a great way to play, and you don't need to get the trail shoulder too high.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I had a frozen margarita. Didn't help my game, but improved my outlook!

I suck at golf, so take this with a grain of salt and a lime, but I can drive with a half swing better than a full swing. Aside from being stiffer than a wedding ----, my mechanics go straight to hell on a full swing. Also, keeping my right elbow tucked in mostly cured my tendency to slice.
I don't doubt it a bit. You're likely hitting the sweet spot with a shorter swing but, not with the full swing.

Plus, the agave 'swing oil' probably doesn't hurt either.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #56

Just a few other thoughts, get with a good teacher and stick with them. The best money I have spent on this silly game has been for lessons or what I call brush up lessons every couple of years. I use to shoot pretty consistently in the 80s, if it got any warmer or cooler than that I wouldn't play.

Seriously though, go out and have fun, don't fall prey to analysis paralysis. If I shoot a round in the triple digits, I'm just as happy as shooting a round in the low 80s, and I lie a lot too. The main thing is to have fun, enjoy the outdoors and social interaction with those you play with. I play with a group of about 12 guys who range from single digit handicaps to those who soot in the triple digits, we all have fun, which is the object to this goofy game. Someday we will all transition into the next dimension and hopefully there will be no sand, water, slices or downhill putts, only mulligans, margaritas and hookers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Never ever played golf. Or had the inclination to try.

FWIW I learned to figure skate at age 62.

I got fairly good without ever taking any lessons, much to the amazement of several instructors who watched my shenanigans and first year of spending more time falling down than moving froward. Now six years later I just enjoy doing what I know. Do know many moves I will never get well, yet enjoy the mind and physical games of trying to get them.

The true pleasure is in the doing, however limited compared to many.

There is a 82 year old who skates frequently on hockey skates. His motto is: whenever he feels the urge to try some of the stuff I do, he says it is time to get off the ice, he does not want to fall and break parts.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Never ever played golf. Or had the inclination to try.

...The true pleasure is in the doing, however limited compared to many....

Exactly. I think that is why I enjoy the practicing so much.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #59

I do not golf well. Usually shoot over 100. I'm getting better over the past few years but mostly I just do it to get out and hang with a few of my friends. None of them seem to mind my lack of game as long as I keep moving. So I always have a ball in my pocket and never spend much time looking for a ball.

I will give you one piece of advice that I think contributed to me moving from consistently over 120 to usually closer to 100.

Keep your eye on the ball. I can't stress than enough. We all think we're watching the ball, but I mean really keep your eye on the ball. Watch the club hit the ball. Again, most of the time, I still think I'm watching the ball, but when I really focus on watching the ball and keep my head still until I see the club hit the ball, my game changes significantly. I'm sure there are a number of other things you could do, but keeping your eye on the ball is a critical fundamental that, when I focus on it, improves my game by 10 or more shots.

As to your original question, no, I would not give it up as long as you enjoy getting outside and the social aspects of it.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #60

I'm in the same boat as you. My lowest index was a 2 but mostly played to a 5 to 7. Even though I loved golf and gave it my best for many years, I just didn't get better.

So I'll occasionally go play with friends, but it's certainly not a passion anymore. What's funny though is with zero practice, every now and then I'll shoot under par.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote