Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
Appreciate all the feedback. Regarding Bangkok, I dislike the traffic, lack of trees and parks, and detest the horrible condition of sidewalks, but love having the wide variety of restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, movie theaters, and a choice of gyms and places to play pool or listen to music.
Keep in mind, there is Bangkok and then there is Bangkok on the outskirts. Less traffic, parks, trees etc. I rented a house outside of the city center for $225 a month until 2 years ago. It was a huge, fully furnished 3 bedroom, 2 bath, nice kitchen and a balcony to sit out and have my morning coffee. It was in a gated community that had a pool, small fitness center and clubhouse and about 10 small mom and pop restaurants and mini marts as well as a 7-11.

All that to say, I enjoyed living there for 5 years and they never raised the rent. It was close enough to the city center and other attractions and yet far enough away from the pollution and traffic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I asked my friend for more details on the Thai retirement visa. If you are not applying for it in the country, then each year you must provide all the documents again for renewal, as if you are applying from scratch (but this doesn't apply if you are renewing inside Thailand). This includes a new medical check, a new home country police check, etc. My friend has a pension so he must get that notarized and approved each year. If he was living in Thailand, he said he would have to get the pension statement authenticated by the Canadian embassy (I think) each year before submitting to Thai immigration. Whereas if you have a Thai bank account, you can get a notarized statement from your Thai bank each year.
I never had to do a medical check or a police check. I think that is is misinformation that you were given. All I do is get an income verification form each year from the US Embassy and take some pics of me and my house, my lease and the completed 1 page form and I am am in and out in about 30 to 40 minutes. I mail in an address report every 90 days.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk View Post
I never had to do a medical check or a police check. I think that is is misinformation that you were given. All I do is get an income verification form each year from the US Embassy and take some pics of me and my house, my lease and the completed 1 page form and I am am in and out in about 30 to 40 minutes. I mail in an address report every 90 days.
A medical check and police clearance are requirements if you apply from outside the country.

Retirement (Non Imm O-A) - Thaivisa

Royal Thai Embassy, Washington D.C.

However, these requirements are usually overlooked if you apply from within Thailand. A friend who applied for the first time last year (he was in Thailand) said he knew this from reading the forums and was confident he would not be asked for them (and indeed he was not).
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I visit Thailand now and then, and lgenuinely like the culture. I learned the language somewhat 45 years ago when I was in the US Peace Corps. If one does retire there, it can be frustrating. When I visit Thailand from where I live in Singapore, I enjoy Cheng Mai, Ko Chang, Ayutthaya, and so on. I also practice my Thai, which is awful at the moment.

When I get back to Singapore, people who do not know me aren't convinced I am not going there for anything else but sex. That's the reputation. The number of the many older expats with extremely young women (girls) seems to reinforce that perception.

It's ridiculous to not want to retire in a country because of what people think is your underlying reason, but it is a factor. I prefer a country that does not have that reputation. Ridiculous reasoning? You bet it is.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I visit Thailand now and then, and lgenuinely like the culture. I learned the language somewhat 45 years ago when I was in the US Peace Corps. If one does retire there, it can be frustrating. When I visit Thailand from where I live in Singapore, I enjoy Cheng Mai, Ko Chang, Ayutthaya, and so on. I also practice my Thai, which is awful at the moment.

When I get back to Singapore, people who do not know me aren't convinced I am not going there for anything else but sex. That's the reputation. The number of the many older expats with extremely young women (girls) seems to reinforce that perception.

It's ridiculous to not want to retire in a country because of what people think is your underlying reason, but it is a factor. I prefer a country that does not have that reputation. Ridiculous reasoning? You bet it is.
On the other hand thousands and thousands go there just to learn to meditate from the forest monks...

Do u seriously want to lay on your deathbed regretting not doing something because "the neighbors will talk" ?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course not, and I've visited about 30 times and speak passable Thai. However, it's not a place that has a positive reputation, and having to tell people you are retired there and SINGLE can lead to people thinking "AAAAH, I think I know why you chose that country".

However, you're correct.

Rob