Join Early Retirement Today

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the advice

I retired last July. I had prepared for it in many ways. The best source though in retrospect was this forum.* So many of the things discussed here happened and I was prepared it seemed for each one.* I am 55 and retired after 27 years as a physician in a small town.* It has now been eight months and I have evolved through those doubts, fears, changes in lifestyle, and relearning myself in my life rather than others ideas of how it should be.

My fellow physicians have been calling for me to cover for them as they desparately seek short escapes.* I did two last week and as I walked out this last day I am 100% sure of my decision and have no intention of ever even covering another clinic again, ever.

I have arrived.* I love it.* Should have done it earlier and am now excited about the day.

Thanks

Sailaway

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Thanks for the advice
Old 03-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations again, Sailaway!

You & Rich_in_Tampa need to have a chat...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway
I retired last July. I had prepared for it in many ways. The best source though in retrospect was this forum. So many of the things discussed here happened and I was prepared it seemed for each one. I am 55 and retired after 27 years as a physician in a small town. It has now been eight months and I have evolved through those doubts, fears, changes in lifestyle, and relearning myself in my life rather than others ideas of how it should be.
Good to hear from a soul-mate. I'm 57, internist/hospitalist, and planning actively for FIRE. We need to compare notes. I'll drop you a private message.

I'm particularly interested in what my part-time opportunities will be. Maybe a good topic for the new DocsOver50 board just getting started (see my signature line).

Best wishes in your ER - I'm right behind you!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, Sailaway.

And, Rich, I'll be racing with you to the exit. I'll be checking out the board.

Kirk
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Kirk. I have really appreciated and learned alot in my short time here.

If by ...
Quote:
I'll be checking out the board
you mean http://docsover50.com, ("DOF") then by all means drop on in. It has yet to be publically announced, but getting some chatter going would be much appreciated -- tell your friends. I envision that board to be very complementary to this one: DOF for the medically oriented stuff and transition issues particular to health care professionals, and this one for more financial and general collective wisdom. I already put a link there to this board.

So, sounds like you are getting close to FIRE... Any specific date in mind?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcome.

July 1, 2008 is my plan: 30 years as a federal employee. I mostly like my work but there are other things that I want to do if fate allows. Not sure yet if it will be ER or sabattical but I expect that it will be ER. I may continue to do some practice by internet if there's an opportunity.

I've already learned a lot here and at related sites. Thanks to all.

Kirk
Old 03-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We get a fair amount of legal and loads of financial advice here. Since it appears we have a number out of the ER closet physicians, I guess, we can start asking for medical advice too.

Now about this constant pain I get in the lower part of my ......... and there is this throbbing sensation ......

Here's to a healthy long retirement for all.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
We get a fair amount of legal and loads of financial advice here. Since it appears we have a number out of the ER closet physicians, I guess, we can start asking for medical advice too.

Now about this constant pain I get in the lower part of my ......... and there is this throbbing sensation ......

Sure! I take Paypal.* Now, can you please look to the left and cough...* *

Seriously, yes - there are more than a few medical types here. It is a wonderful culture to be part of on the altruistic side but, at least in my professional life, some of the common lifestyle choices I have seen are not what I aspire to: 14 hour days, mad routines, never taking time off, reluctance to let others cover because "no one knows my patients like I do," and all the other traps. I've tried to strike a different balance, sometimes more successfully than others. This board is great because it generally reflects a much broader perspective.

As an aside, I certainly see the ugly side of how the best plans can get ambushed fast by an unanticipated health crisis. Not usually, but not rarely, either. Carpe diem.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I sometimes give medical information on-line but only when disguised as a non-physician and only when I'm fairly certain of what I'm saying. Seems too risky to do it any other way. So, feel free to ask questions and maybe some newb will reply.

A wish for security and pleasant lifestyle have influenced most of my life choices. I'm now able to manage a 'full-time' 32 hour work week, 4 days per week with the US government (using accumulated vacation time). I take back-up call for a week every other month. I do ~2 hours per week of private work for a fee that I can't refuse. I enjoy my work (when allowed to focus on it) but I seriously long for the freedom to wander about the world, literally and in my imagination. Learning new things and exploring are what I enjoy most. With luck I'll retire in 2 years at 58, not terribly early but I haven't needed to put off enjoying myself until then.

It also helps that my wife is a doc though she limits her practice to 20 hrs per week with no call. We're very compatible.

It's nice to be in a place where so many others have similar takes on life. Great to meet you all.