Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #41
Administrator

Come on, are we going to get into a squabble over Thanksgiving?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

History of Thanksgiving
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

History of Thanksgiving

May I refer you to Wikipedia...

“An unusual annual Day of Thanksgiving began in 1606 following the failure of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 and developed into Guy Fawkes Day on November 5” in England!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a good meaningless squabble or two!
Old 11-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It’s safer than politics!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Or Financial Advisors.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I just saw a local place has free range fresh turkey for $4.59 a pound. Add in $25 for smoking. DW's still insisting on the restaurant. So maybe!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We always went to the grandparents 2 hours south for holidays until I was 20 years old and the grandparents started passing.

Then we moved to my brother in law's parents home as their dining room table sat over 20 people. And something like 50 friends and neighbors wojld rotate through there on Thanksgiving--many of which were college friends.

After another generation started passing on, we moved to my sister's house in the city we all lived in. After my niece and nephew had families, we finally started staying home for Thanksgiving. We also moved 3 hrs. away.

My wife's first three children are somewhat unreliable, and we just quit trying to celebrate Thanksgiving when no one would show up. Sometimes we cook the full meal, sometimes we go to our RV in the mountains and sometimes we go to Cracker Barrel. This year we are taking a 1 week road trip ending at the stepdaughter's house. We always show up when a meal is offered.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It’s safer than politics!
After reading the Wiki page you posted, it's more complicated than politics.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved 1300 miles away from both my and DW’s family about 24 years ago. The first few years of TG here were pretty sad in our house, since it was always a big deal with our families, LOTS of food, football, etc. 3 years later friends of ours, moved here, actually less than 2 miles away, with their three DD. They too left all their families 1000 miles away. So we made a pact, we do Thanksgiving dinner, they do Christmas, and we split Easter. Seems to work, the meals started to get big with boyfriends and girlfriends, some turned into spouses, all came to dinner. Now the crowd is erratic, our kids started to have other obligations, with spouses families etc. My DS is hosting thanksgiving for his spouses family, so he won’t make it this year, but our friends and all but one of their daughters and her husband will be here. Back to the big table this year. Looking forward to it!
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! That sounds like big fun -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #51

Thanksgiving isn't about shopping (except at the grocery store) so no surprise it's all Christmas stuff in the stores.

I'm excited to be going to spend T-day with my cousins and Aunt in Arizona. It's a last minute decision. As kids we often spent Thanksgiving together - but not as adults.

I'm showing up with homemade pumpkin and pecan pies, cranberry sauce, fixings for stuffing and garlic mashed potatoes. I was on the phone with my cousin as he purchased a turkey (making sure he got one that was a good size). My aunt is thrilled to not be cooking.

Thanksgiving is about good food and family - and we're getting that in large quantities this year.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Or Financial Advisors.

[emoji23]
Naaaah, the FA topic is easy. On this forum, there aren't too many supporters so it's more like an avalanche of warnings, dire predictions of doom, or at best, dismissive comments for being silly enough to use one. A squabble needs to be more balanced.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Thanksgiving isn't about shopping (except at the grocery store) so no surprise it's all Christmas stuff in the stores.

I'm excited to be going to spend T-day with my cousins and Aunt in Arizona. It's a last minute decision. As kids we often spent Thanksgiving together - but not as adults.

I'm showing up with homemade pumpkin and pecan pies, cranberry sauce, fixings for stuffing and garlic mashed potatoes. I was on the phone with my cousin as he purchased a turkey (making sure he got one that was a good size). My aunt is thrilled to not be cooking.

Thanksgiving is about good food and family - and we're getting that in large quantities this year.
Good for you. Sounds wonderful.

Thanksgiving is indeed about family. When we celebrate it in Canada we invite everybody up to our lakehouse. Huge meal, bocce on the lawn, seeing extended family, etc, This past year it was a little bittersweet as it was the first year without my FIL. Will also celebrate in Arizona with our good friends and their family.

I have noticed that Americans celebrate thanksgiving a little more than Canadians. It would be rare for Canadians to travel long distances to be with family on thanksgiving. It would be more common at Christmas. While I think this might be reversed in US?

Anyway, I figure any reason for a get together is a good reason.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The real story of Thanksgiving
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #54

The real story of Thanksgiving

The late Art Buchwald explains all:

The Art of Giving Thanks – National Society of Newspaper Columnists

Art Buchwald was a longtime columnist for the Washington Post who wrote this humorous description of the Pilgrim story.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When is American Thanksgiving?
A belated happy Thanksgiving to you.
Is Canadian Thanksgiving traditionally a Turkey dinner or do you have a different typical tradition up there.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
A belated happy Thanksgiving to you.
Is Canadian Thanksgiving traditionally a Turkey dinner or do you have a different typical tradition up there.
Turkey is typical.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #57

Cousin has a big bash on the day after Thanksgiving with potluck dinner (non-turkey is encouraged but not mandatory). His side of the family play bluegrass, so we get to do some stompin' too! Always a grand time.

Beats the heck out of shopping.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Day after shopping has never been my thing. Will hold a K9 scent tracking class for those who are ready to push away from the table and perhaps get some fresh air.
Thanksgiving day, having some friends over, all the usual food plus homemade pies, pecan, pumpkin and sweet potato.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Cousin has a big bash on the day after Thanksgiving with potluck dinner (non-turkey is encouraged but not mandatory). His side of the family play bluegrass, so we get to do some stompin' too! Always a grand time.

Beats the heck out of shopping.
We may need video of that!!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
No doubt. There have been countless articles that illustrate the reason stores do this is, well...because people BUY IT. There isn't too much demand for T-giving stuff, but there is a LOT of demand for Christmas stuff...and the earlier it's available the better "deal" the buyers perceive.

People have been buying for Christmas for a while. I noticed that the UPS "golf carts" started their rounds a full two weeks ago...last year, I didn't notice them until a day or two before Thanksgiving.