Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
One of my former co-w*rkers ER'd about 9 or 10 years ago, at age 54, and his DW did likewise from her j*b. Although he got a decent pension, he hadn't saved anything, they always lived WAY BEYOND their means, he also had loans for a car, a truck, and a motorcycle, and they had taken out a home equity loan for some remodeling. About 4 months into ER he got a part-time j*b a few hours a week. That didn't bring in enough $$, so he went to w*rk full-time mowing grass (with a push mower ) for his ex-SIL's brother who owns a lawn maintenance service. His DW also had to go back to w*rk at her former employer.

His ex-SIL said about a month ago that they had finally just gotten their heads above water......and then turned right around and took out a loan for a new fully-loaded $35K+ truck, and they're looking at another new car too, because they're trying to keep up with the Joneses! It wouldn't be bad IF they had the means, but they don't. But the Joneses that they're trying to keep up with, have MORE than enough means!!! I guess he just likes cutting grass!
FIREing and keeping up with the Joneses are definitely incompatible. If your co-worker would rather look rich than be rich, I guess that's up to him.

ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
Congratulations, Whitestick! IMHO, just make sure that you have something to
retire To". The first 2 times I retired, I got away FROM somethng, got bored and went back to work. This time, I have planned my own course and its great!

I would love to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen for the next couple of weeks!

RetireDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Actually, the last couple of days would have been enough to give you the full range of emotions/calculations/suppositions/arguments/ I think someone once talked about the great stressors in life (divorce, losing your job, etc), and I would have to put ERO when it's earlier then you planned for as one of those as well. DW and I are getting closer to settling back down in our discussions and returning to our original plans, but it has been an emotional roller coaster. It didn't help that the short time required to make a decision caused me to mis-figure the tax situation in my reconfigured spreadsheet. Once I found that, it made the numbers come out a lot better. Just waiting for the final paper work to come in to validate my assumptions.
As to the retireing to do something, that was at least half of the discussions, as we wanted the income numbers to provide enough to do all of the things that we want to do. Now as to the problem of finding enough hours in the day to do it all, that is still part of the negotiation. DW seems to want more then her fair share for doing the things that she wants to do, and she is accusing me of the same thing. Since we both want to do those things together, we can only split some things and do them simultaneously. I certainly wish we could have retired when we were in our 20s, to give us enough time.
This time compression and quick decision making was not addressed in the previous threads, or if it was, I don't remember it. Wasn't prepared for this quick phase.
It too shall pass, but all the flyes on the wall are getting an earfull.
Mens ability to see the future is limited by their horizons of today!
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Congratulations on taking the money and retiring. A year ago I took the GM retirement incentive. I was 55 I was concerned about all the things that seem to come at you. Plan and plan through the years and it's still an unknown. But once you do it, it seems the natural way to live, it's the great life.
glinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I checked with our HR department this week and the only way to retire is to quit or get layed off(includes a package) + unemployment insurance. I am going in to ask my manager next week if I can work from home 2/5 days/week. I figure that's a nice alternative since I can basically do what I want to with that time. If he say's no - I will ask him to put me on the next list of layoffs.

I am amazed at how few companies offer ER packages. You would think that that they would want to turn the higher salaried employees for lower cost ones. Even if were more experienced they can hire 2 younger people with less experience people for the same price.

My plan was to retire(do whatever I want) in my 40's - I am now 45 and studing to be a CFP @ Boston University on-line's course. I am FI and figure since I am good with $ that I might as well have people pay me to help them.
Just Trekking thru!
In-control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My white board at work currently has the large, red, enigmatic number "787" written down near the bottom. Each day I subtract one. Nobody has asked, yet...

I had been keeping track every day since it was over 2300, but just kept it in an Excel file until recently.

This is how I start my w*rk days, changing that number while it is still dark outside. It cheers me up.
Good idea! I thought I still was too far out to start doing the countdown. When I go back to work on Tuesday, I'll have 1924 days left, and I'm gonna post 'em and start scratching 'em off one day at a time! Yeeha!!!
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Good idea! I thought I still was too far out to start doing the countdown. When I go back to work on Tuesday, I'll have 1924 days left, and I'm gonna post 'em and start scratching 'em off one day at a time! Yeeha!!!
Hope it helps! I find this (and a cup of coffee) to be a very satisfying way to start my day at work.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote