Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They left Arkansas off the list of the Ten Best states. No doubt the people who already live there are very happy about that!
They didn't publish a list of the ten best states............
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

How could Illinois be #2 on the "worst states to retire in" list? I mean..... after all..... it is such a pretty color of blue. Doesn't that make it just.... well..... perfect?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
There are some states I will always avoid. Arkansas is one. West Virginia is another. Also NJ and most of Mississippi. Uncertain about OK, but wary.
This is good news. One less person wants to make WV another overcrowded overtaxed megalopolis.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
+3

I have lived for the past 7 years in a place where most people are the polar opposite of who I am and I still managed to meet wonderful people and be very happy here.
I've moved 32 times in my life, been in 29 countries and 41 states; less than many but, a good sampling. My experience has been that how well I get along with the people in various places is more about me than them. I'm not saying I like them all or would consider retiring in all (or even most) of those places. But, the clear lesson to me over the years is that, at an individual level, we're all a lot more similar than different.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This is good news. One less person wants to make WV another overcrowded overtaxed megalopolis.
Glad to oblige, Walt.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #46
Administrator

I have lived in 14 different states and visited another 33. The only states I haven't seen are Louisiana, Mississippi and Nebraska. Of all these places, I prefer my current home in Connecticut, where I plan to stay for the rest of my days.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #47
Administrator

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed my years in Baton Rouge, Gumby. I visited Connecticut off and on many years ago. Not a bad place, but Louisiana is close to my heart.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... but Louisiana is close to my heart.
Gumbo in the veins, eh?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have lived in 14 different states and visited another 33.
OK, I'll chime in on this one.
I've spent time (anywhere from a few days to a few years) in all of the 50 states, and from a few weeks to a few years in eight other countries.

If you asked me where "the best place to retire" would be, I seriously doubt if I could narrow my list down to fewer than a "top 20".

But I can easily get a dose of any of my favorites by simply taking a vacation trip whenever I like. That's one of the absolute best things about ER, as I see it.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've spent time (anywhere from a few days to a few years) in all of the 50 states, and from a few weeks to a few years in eight other countries.

If you asked me where "the best place to retire" would be, I seriously doubt if I could narrow my list down to fewer than a "top 20".
I can relate. My past jobs took me to various length visits in about 50% of the US states and to about 25% of the world's countries. During my stays it was my favorite "past time hobby" to try to understand everyday challenges to live in the area, and dream if I could actually live enjoyable life in the country or state I was visiting. With some flexibility to choose the location within the area the answer was "YES, I could make it work, and it would actually be fun" 100% of the time. Well, I did not have an opportunity to travel most of Africa or most of the arctic areas of the world, so those might have lowered my success rate a bit.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Best states for DW and I to retire in:
#1 North Carolina
#2 Virginia
#10 Indiana

Worst States
any other (not that we don't like others, but they're all too cold & snowy/icy in winter, hot/humid in summer, dry (water rationing likely), rural, costly, fiscally troubled, liberal, far from major body of water, hurricanes, tornados, other seemingly irrational reasons or ignorance, etc.)

You may not see it published anywhere but here

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Best states for DW and I to retire in:
#1 North Carolina
#2 Virginia
#10 Indiana
I've been to North Carolina (many times). Already got the best thing they had to offer (DW ), and don't see the value of returning to live there.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We drew a line across the country along the Mason-Dixon line. Nothing north, too much cold and snow. Drew another line down the Mississippi River. Nothing west, too far from family. The far south, too hot and humid. Settled on North or South Carolina. Found the Upstate of South Carolina. Tucked into the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Great climate, seasons, wild areas, and the beach is an easy drive. Taxes and cost of living are great. (Although anything compared to Chicago area would most likely be great.) Here we are living happily ever after.
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But I can easily get a dose of any of my favorites by simply taking a vacation trip whenever I like. That's one of the absolute best things about ER, as I see it.
I've also made it to all 50 states, about 25 countries, and 4 continents, including roughly 20 major Caribbean islands on both cruises and land trips.

I would have a tough time picking a single spot. As I near ER, I'm thinking along the lines of doing some extended trips, say 4-6 weeks, some to places I haven't been, some to places I'd like to see more of. Maybe once I get some of that out of my system I'll consider a move, but I don't anticipate an immediate change.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Geez, guys,

I am only looking for a place to land that I can afford and nobody shoots at me. That rules out many parts of the Home of the Rich and the Land of the Slave.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Geez, guys,

I am only looking for a place to land that I can afford and nobody shoots at me. That rules out many parts of the Home of the Rich and the Land of the Slave.
Haven't you noticed? People like and get along with everyone, except their siblings of course.

Ha
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Haven't you noticed? People like and get along with everyone, except their siblings of course.

Ha
Makes me think of the many times people have told me that they "like all kinds of music".

Sure you do.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
I was sorry to see Maine on the list; we have ties to the state and it is on our semi-short list.
I didn't read the article, but have read many like it, and Maine usually ranks up there with states to avoid because of the high taxes. Never-the-less, it was always on my short-list as well, and I still check property for sale on at least a weekly basis (there is still affordable waterfront property if you go far enough north), and it probably among the most beautiful places I have ever been.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
OK, I'll chime in on this one.

I have pretty much settled into that opinion as well - I absolutely love my house and property in the rural part of New England, but Jan Feb and early March the weather is absolutely brutal. Once the youngest goes away to college, or at least is old enough to move out or be home for a longtime alone, we will do the snowbird thing - to the Bahamas and places further south in the carribean. That'll make life easier for those cold months for sure.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote