Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Haven't you noticed? People like and get along with everyone, except their siblings of course.

Ha
Hope you didn't get that from my post. In most places I don't get along with everyone, but in most places I can find people I do get along with. Not counting family, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Geez, guys,

I am only looking for a place to land that I can afford and nobody shoots at me. That rules out many parts of the Home of the Rich and the Land of the Slave.
Sorry Gypsy Ed, but the "no shooting at ya'" kind of disqualifies Venezuela and most of Latin America. Maybe it'll get better someday.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Makes me think of the many times people have told me that they "like all kinds of music".

Sure you do.
Oh, I likes all kinds of music. Country, Western, C&W, pretty much anything with both a banjo and an accordion... :-)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
I didn't read the article, but have read many like it, and Maine usually ranks up there with states to avoid because of the high taxes. Never-the-less, it was always on my short-list as well, and I still check property for sale on at least a weekly basis (there is still affordable waterfront property if you go far enough north), and it probably among the most beautiful places I have ever been.
I lived in Maine for 3 years due to my job. I would go back there to live for good. Of course, I live in Vermont now, so I wouldn't see a great weather advantage!

To me, it's all about where you feel comfortable with the environment and the local people. I've lived in a couple of Southern states (VA and FL) and although I have good memories of both, I wouldn't really want to live in either forever. I also lived in MD which some people consider a Southern state and others consider Northern. I could live there forever, but that's as far south as I would personally want to go.

Others feel differently; I understand and respect that but probably wouldn't want to live outside of New England or the Mid-Atlantic (North of DC) regardless of the tax situation.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In most places I don't get along with everyone, but in most places I can find people I do get along with.
That's what I meant too, obviously.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry Gypsy Ed, but the "no shooting at ya'" kind of disqualifies Venezuela and most of Latin America. Maybe it'll get better someday.
Hmm. I have been discovering that. Most is not all, though. Any suggestions?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #66

Quote:
Hmm. I have been discovering that. Most is not all, though. Any suggestions?
Well, the northernmost tip of Latin America - Broward County Fl - seems pretty safe, although as you approach Miami that is not the case. Further south, it looks like you need to be in the Southern Cone area of Chile / Argentina before things settle down, but that is quite a trip. Panama, perhaps. The combination of safe, secure and low cost of living is becoming more elusive.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I would also suggest southern Brazil -- Porto Alegre if you like bigger cities, or São José dos Campos if you like smaller ones.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
We drew a line across the country along the Mason-Dixon line. Nothing north, too much cold and snow. Drew another line down the Mississippi River. Nothing west, too far from family. The far south, too hot and humid. Settled on North or South Carolina. Found the Upstate of South Carolina. Tucked into the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Great climate, seasons, wild areas, and the beach is an easy drive. Taxes and cost of living are great. (Although anything compared to Chicago area would most likely be great.) Here we are living happily ever after.
My uncle lives outside Greenville, SC, at about 1900 feet. What a great place!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My uncle lives outside Greenville, SC, at about 1900 feet. What a great place!
That was one of my choices too. My "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for. DW didn't want to go that far from family and she would have been miserable.

There is hope though. Her closest sister is talking about moving to either NC or SC and DW knows that it would take about a half ounce of arm-twisting pressure to get me to move there.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for.
Funny you should say that. As we were unloading the moving van into our new home in upstate South Carolina from Chicago, I told the young kid helping, we sold our snow blower and came south. He responded, "What's a snow blower for?"

We have arrived!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, the northernmost tip of Latin America - Broward County Fl - seems pretty safe, although as you approach Miami that is not the case. Further south, it looks like you need to be in the Southern Cone area of Chile / Argentina before things settle down, but that is quite a trip. Panama, perhaps. The combination of safe, secure and low cost of living is becoming more elusive.
We lived in Lakeland for a while. I did not care for Miami either. Might take another look, if DW agrees.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #72

Quote:
We lived in Lakeland for a while. I did not care for Miami either. Might take another look, if DW agrees.
What for? I would take Braumeister's recommendation over Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, I would also suggest southern Brazil -- Porto Alegre if you like bigger cities, or São José dos Campos if you like smaller ones.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are so many factors that make a retirement place "good" or "bad" for retirees (or anyone). Each of us has his own criteria from weather to terrain to diversity to COL, to taxes, to state-fiscal-situation, etc. etc. While there are states which are either more or less "friendly" to retirees, I think the great equalizer is whether one can afford to live in a certain area that one prefers for ALL personal reasons. At that point, the state-friendliness (or lack of it) becomes somewhat irrelevant. Case in point for me is my personal choice of where to live in retirement. Hawaii does actually (still) have quite a few retiree-friendly tax deductions. Yet, it is one of the most costly states for anyone (retiree or w*rking). But, once we calculated that we could afford to live here, we moved because we COULD and because we WANTED to - not specifically because the state was "friendly" to retirees. That was only a small piece of the puzzle. So far, at least, we are willing to pay the price to live in Paradise. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

How about places to retire??

Retire Here, Not There: South Dakota - SmartMoney.com
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau
There are so many factors that make a retirement place "good" or "bad" for retirees (or anyone). Each of us has his own criteria from weather to terrain to diversity to COL, to taxes, to state-fiscal-situation, etc. etc. While there are states which are either more or less "friendly" to retirees, I think the great equalizer is whether one can afford to live in a certain area that one prefers for ALL personal reasons. At that point, the state-friendliness (or lack of it) becomes somewhat irrelevant. Case in point for me is my personal choice of where to live in retirement. Hawaii does actually (still) have quite a few retiree-friendly tax deductions. Yet, it is one of the most costly states for anyone (retiree or w*rking). But, once we calculated that we could afford to live here, we moved because we COULD and because we WANTED to - not specifically because the state was "friendly" to retirees. That was only a small piece of the puzzle. So far, at least, we are willing to pay the price to live in Paradise. YMMV
That is definitely true, especially the "wanted" part. There always seems to be poor people in paradise, surviving too! After traveling to St. John USVI several times, I have given serious thought to living there. Good housing to buy is out of my range, but you can definitely rent nice affordable places on the Coral Bay side reasonable for island standards (St. Thomas, no thank you). The trouble for me is by the time my GF is ready to retire ( and she would love to go there for a few years, too) health considerations may come in. Not the best place to have a medical emergency considering there is no hospital on the island, and the "ambulance service bill" to STT would finish me off if I wasnt dead already. We wont rule it out, though. No state income tax would help a lot considering I have nice taxable pension.