Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The arts?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Since retiring last year, I've spent much more time at my painting. I completed the kitchen and one bedroom and I'm almost done with the exterior trim.

Man that's milk out of the nose funny!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice glass work UH . You might want to check out the wetcanvas web site. It probably covers glass work along with the other arts.

Les
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Crude, but good.
That's how I would describe my grandfather, too.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Hmmm, I see no reason to wait until retirement to work on hidden talents. If you think you will enjoy in retirement, why wait?
Uh, maybe because after working, housekeeping, eating, sleeping, I have about 3 spare hours a week, most of them in 10 minute increments. (And I choose to waste productively spend them on the ER forum).
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I'm a quilter, and although I'm far from FIRE, I'm always schemeing for ways I could do it full time.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Since retiring last year, I've spent much more time at my painting. I completed the kitchen and one bedroom and I'm almost done with the exterior trim.
If you wanna be an artiste, ya gotta paint the ceiling.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #27

UncleHoney,
Love the glass piece. Yeah -- I think arts is a great thing for early retirees to do. In fact that's what I've been doing pretty much every day in recent months (which is why I haven't posted here in awhile :P), working on my sculptures. After 5 years of puttering around with it, I'm making a concerted effort to relly log the time to break through from amateur status. Fihally a few of the pieces are starting to be decent enough that I don't hate looking at them a few weeks after they're done. Sheryl, if you're interested in sculpture, try to take a class -- despite what I just said, it really is a ton of fun and very rewarding. (plus I've met a lot of nice people who all seem to have zero stress!)

I've been digging into the marketing side of being an artist, though: Basically nobody buys much art, and that's probably been true for a long time (not exactly news!) which makes things pretty grim for someone who needs to earn a living. But if you're ER and looking to more or less defray the expenses of producing the art and going to a few classes or art shows etc., then you can start down the artist's path without the heavy financial burden most artists labor under. Plus if you want a challenge in ER, figuring out how to sell artwork will keep you busy!

Maybe this could become the new career path for artists -- instead of do your art and take a terrible day job forever, the alternative could be to have a good paying career for 20 years with a little time for your art, save like crazy so you can ER and then do your art full time from middle age on. Easy to say after-the-fact, and on this forum, but I do meet a surprising number of retired people who are active artists.

The one big dilemma is quality -- starting late means you're way behind the curve and as Isbcal says, it may take a long time to start producing quality work. That's where I am now with my sculpture-- support and encouragement from friends, but 'real artists' still look at me as a reasonably promising beginner.

Still, I figure if I've got several (well, 3 or 4) good decades ahead of me, I'll get there eventually. 8)

btw, is John Galt really back?! Next thing you know we'll see TH/Cute Fuzzy Bunny maybe even Bob Smith and who knows, even Ted...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks ESR.

I know a number of artists that make money selling their work. but none of them are getting rich. And most have a working spouse to cover the daily bills.

The selling part is always the toughest for me, more fun to make the stuff than sell it. Acceptance in a gallery takes a big load off you as far as selling goes, but there is a price to pay, about 40-50% usually.

The sculputre sounds like fun. Right now I have a large block of alabaster in my shop waiting for me to turn it into something besides chips and dust. I usually turn alabaster on the lathe making bowls.

UH
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

1st, that slumped glass piece is Trick. Well done!

I've made money with my Art in the past while I was working, albiet never very much, and I don't doubt I will in the future once I "adjust" to ER (it's only been 7 or 8 months and I'm still decompressing/wasting time/enjoying my space/goofing off completely/ or fill in the BS blank _______) but I know I'll never make very much at it as previously stated it would be more about covering the expenses of the materials for our glass and silver work, or more guitars and amps for the music stuff. I don't ever want my Art to approach being a dare I say it a J*B! :P
Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Sheryl, if you're interested in sculpture, try to take a class -- despite what I just said, it really is a ton of fun and very rewarding. (plus I've met a lot of nice people who all seem to have zero stress!)
What kind of sculpture do you do, Bob? My "thing" is sort of a mixed media assemblage thing, more than actual carving or sculpting of stone, clay, etc. It doesn't really fit into any niche, but is sort of architectural, having to do with perception of scale, etc.

I KWYM about quality though - the stuff I build never looks it did in my head!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Yall most have large basments to hide store your very nice artwork.
I cant imagine doing the work to make art, but I sure the like the idea of having the time to see art. Go to more museums and the like.
Rob
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
What kind of sculpture do you do, Bob?
It's almost all figurative -- you can google my name and sculpture and you'll find the site (not trying to promote it here!) . Portraits of friends' kids, and some of my newest figurative pieces are starting to emerge fromt the 'student' category and look interesting.

I think Spidey raises a good point, though -- if we really want to create, then there has to be some place to put all this stuff, and I'd rather have it in someone else's house than my own, so that is one of the first motivations for figuring out how to sell the work! Although I have just discovered how to seal and make stuff to survive a New England winter outside, so there is a whole new chunk of real estate now opening up to put my pieces... can't really do that with paintings, though!