The arts?

UncleHoney

Full time employment: Posting here.
Any budding artists want to explore those hidden talents when they retire?

Painters, potters, weavers, woodworkers? You name it.

UH

I accepted long ago that I have no talent.

UncleHoney said:
Any budding artists want to explore those hidden talents when they retire?

Painters, potters, weavers, woodworkers? You name it.

UH
I've dabbled with hand made reproductions of prehistoric pottery. It was interesting to collect and process clay, form vessels, decorate and fire. I have produced a few pretty impressive reproductions. But now that I know how to do it all, I've kinda lost interest. :-\

I would like to be a writer. I don't care much if it isn't commercial, its sort of compulsive. So far, aside from business letters and analysis, all I write is for...........my local kayak club. Good enough for me.

does bull-sh*t artist count?

I always liked the idea of drawing but had zero talent -- all I could produce were stick figures. I read a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and discovered that I could draw by following techniques. One of the most powerful "proofs" that anyone can draw is to sketch something upside down - it is amazing what you can do. Right after I ERd I took an Intro to Drawing course at a local non-profit arts workshop and improved some more. Here are a couple of thumbnail samples of freehand drawing on a pen tablet using an application called "Painter." (This is not "art" it is technical drawing while looked at photos for source material. But it is still fun for someone who could never draw.)

Attachments

• selfport4_001.thumb.jpg
    selfport4_001.thumb.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 133
  • water6.thumb.jpg
    water6.thumb.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 132
i possibly have the talent to be a great artist but i just get so frustrated when my crayon goes outside the lines on the smurfs head.

donheff said:
I always liked the idea of drawing but had zero talent -- all I could produce were stick figures. I read a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and discovered that I could draw by following techniques.
I've had that on my reading pile for about five years, along with her book "Color". One of these days...

You didn't mention music, but I'm going to take classical guitar lessons. Fooled around with it on my own long ago, but didn't get very far. Recently listened to some of my old faves & got re-inspired.

My grandfather used to say the only art in his life was when he'd draw flies when he crapped himself.

Mike D.

Wildlife photography and I hope to take up the violin :D

I enjoy lapidary and would like to do more writing though lack o' talent may limit the latter.

MikeD said:
My grandfather used to say the only art in his life was when he'd draw flies when he crapped himself.

Mike D.

Now that's a good one! Crude, but good. :)

JG

I've taken several classes over the last 3 years at the JC here -- drawing, figure drawing, color, painting, art history. Also took a plein aire workshop. Have done a lot of oil painting, won some awards, and sold some. The people I've met have been really interesting and have a very different orientation then the technologists I knew at work. It takes a lot of patience to learn the fundamentals and along the way you can expect to turn out some truely terrible art. Probably figure on 100 paintings before things start looking good. But the exercises can be fun and you will see real improvement over time.

It really helps to have people to work with or at least discuss your progress. In our community there is a plein aire group called Monday Morning Painters that meet once per week with an informal critique at noon. Painting outdoors is really different then painting in the studio from reference photographs.

Les

Well it looks like some of us are going to be busy come retirement. I do woodworking and fused glass to keep myself entertained. Maybe some of it will pay off when I retire. I've had a few pieces of my glass work sell in galleries.

One of my glass pieces.

crackle-bowl2.jpg

I love beading and would like to do more, but that's more craft than art.

I took a class in Chinese brush painting which I really enjoyed.

I also have a secret dream of making sculpture - when I retire.

Since retiring last year, I've spent much more time at my painting. I completed the kitchen and one bedroom and I'm almost done with the exterior trim.

Hmmm, I see no reason to wait until retirement to work on hidden talents. If you think you will enjoy in retirement, why wait?

REWahoo! said:
Since retiring last year, I've spent much more time at my painting. I completed the kitchen and one bedroom and I'm almost done with the exterior trim.

Man that's milk out of the nose funny!

Nice glass work UH :D. You might want to check out the wetcanvas web site. It probably covers glass work along with the other arts.

Les

LOL! said:
Hmmm, I see no reason to wait until retirement to work on hidden talents. If you think you will enjoy in retirement, why wait?

Uh, maybe because after working, housekeeping, eating, sleeping, I have about 3 spare hours a week, most of them in 10 minute increments. (And I choose to waste productively spend them on the ER forum).

I'm a quilter, and although I'm far from FIRE, I'm always schemeing for ways I could do it full time.

Back
Top Bottom