Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Well, tomorrow is my last day of w*rk. They have organized a going away party at 3:00 . So I need to hang around for the whole day. I am sure looking forward to deleting all of my emails and giving my laptop and i-phone back to the IT department. I'll walk away "electronically disconnected" and I'm most looking forward to that. Over the last 3-5 years or so, the use of home computers, smart phones, i-pads, etc., have made many employees (including me) 24 hour-a-day on call employees. Not my idea of fun!

I still don't think the whole idea of ER has sunk in with me yet. It all seems like a bit of a dream. I'll let you all know how that last day goes.
Looking forward to your report! As I recall, turning in my badge was tough but otherwise it was an exhilarating beginning to a new adventure, retired life.

Edited to add: looking forward to reports from other 2011 retirees as well! I had forgotten that so MANY of you exist.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to 3 more "graduates" - Jacmac DH, NW Landlady DH & Packman!!! And another tomorrow...

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chas57006 & DW (a twofer) (57) 6/30
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1
crispus (56) 2/?
dessert (60) 3/31
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
heirloom (61½) 6/1
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (51) 7/15
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
norske69 (59) 6/13
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
REattempt (46) 7/30
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
Skye (62) 1/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/15
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Midpack! Looking at the dates, you're going to have a lot of company the end of June!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #224
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
looking forward to reports from other 2011 retirees as well! I had forgotten that so MANY of you exist.
Well I'll go first....I am like most others in the early stages of ER. I don't miss work at all. Each day seems to fill up with things to do. I sleep a little later, have coffee, read the paper, and then get started with whatever I'm doing that day. I don't feel the price of gas because I am not on the road every day going to work and fill up much less often. I have been fishing, cruising, working around the house, helping others with repairs, doing repairs around my house, had a big garage sale and have less "stuff" around. I still have plenty to do but as my friend once said, "if you do everything today, then what will you do tomorrow"?
I am also doing a lot of "housework" inside like cleaning, vaccuming, dishes etc. so that my DW doen't mind having me around all the time. So far, I seem to like my freedom. It's great.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds great, Dessert! Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Update on my DH, who retired as of 3/1/11. He's adjusted to retirement very well - way better than I did His blood pressure has dropped and he's getting lots of rest. I'm thrilled about this because I was worried about how the pressure of work, plus the horrible commute, was impacting his health.

We're working on getting our place ready to sell and preparing to move back into our former rental property. It's much smaller so we've been busy de-junking this place. Also, he's working on building a garage at our other place. Working with our county for the permit has been a major pain, but we're almost there.

DH's office calls him once or twice a week with questions and he's gone in to help a couple of his coworkers with stuff. He doesn't mind doing this at all. Not surprising given he's the kind of guy who helps strangers during snowstorms. One of the many reasons I love him.

Once we get the housing situation settled, we'll engage in more typical retirement activities. DH wants to start a garden and we'd both like to do a little traveling. Nothing big - mainly small trips to see friends and family.

So far, so good.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #227
Dryer sheet wannabe

Finally down to my last month of work. 19 more work days. My mind is drifting from work to my retirement more each day
casky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Update on my DH, who retired as of 3/1/11. He's adjusted to retirement very well - way better than I did His blood pressure has dropped and he's getting lots of rest. I'm thrilled about this because I was worried about how the pressure of work, plus the horrible commute, was impacting his health.

We're working on getting our place ready to sell and preparing to move back into our former rental property. It's much smaller so we've been busy de-junking this place. Also, he's working on building a garage at our other place. Working with our county for the permit has been a major pain, but we're almost there.

DH's office calls him once or twice a week with questions and he's gone in to help a couple of his coworkers with stuff. He doesn't mind doing this at all. Not surprising given he's the kind of guy who helps strangers during snowstorms. One of the many reasons I love him.

Once we get the housing situation settled, we'll engage in more typical retirement activities. DH wants to start a garden and we'd both like to do a little traveling. Nothing big - mainly small trips to see friends and family.

So far, so good.
Thanks for the update on your DH, Purron! Sounds like he is adjusting well, but his office sure isn't!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Looks like today is the day for heirloom, congratulations!!!

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chas57006 & DW (a twofer) (57) 6/30
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1
crispus (56) 2/?
dessert (60) 3/31
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
heirloom (61½) 6/1
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (51) 7/15
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
norske69 (59) 6/13
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
REattempt (46) 7/30
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
Skye (62) 1/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/15
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

Ta Da, the BIG day has arrived
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

Ta Da, the BIG day has arrived

Yesterday was my last day of w*rk at the company I've been with for the last 22 years. The day went well. Came in at the usual time, did a little work, finished cleaning out some electronic and paper files, went to lunch with the boss and a couple of co-w*rkers, came back, sent a few emails to the many poeple I've w*rked with that do not live in my city, and went to the party they threw for me at 3:00. Everyone was great, very nice comments, lots of retirement cards, received a couple of gift cards from the CFO and CEO, had some cake and talked to everyone for about 45 minutes. Then back to my office, said goodbye to some of my closest pals and staff, took one last look at my dark, empty office and left. Got in the car and drove home. No tears, no trauma - nice. Not exactly how I thought it would all go, but happy it went well.

I had dreams in the night about work and woke up at 4:00 this morning a bit troubled by the dreams, so I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been busy all day just doing stuff and haven't even gotten to reading the WSJ (which I've always done). Guess that is what everyone talks about when they say they don't know how they ever found time to w*rk.

Mentally, I haven't processed all of this yet. I think it will take a few weeks to really feel relaxed and have the stress go away. Today, it just seems like a day off, except I can't look at w*rk emails while at home (gave up the i-phone and laptop yesterday). I do think that spending so much more time alone, and at home, will take some getting used to (DW is planning to w*rk for another 4 years or so). But I have more projects and chores lined up than I could do in the next 4-6 months.

Thanks to all of you on this forum. Reading all of your posts for the last 5 months has really helped me understand the good, and the bad, of what I might expect as I went through this process. I'm a big planner, so it was important to me to have this information from those that have, or were, experiencing the same things.

P.S. - And to have the DOW drop over 200 points on my first day of FIRE wan't what I expected either!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you're off to a good start Packman, I hope my last day(s) go as well. Congrats, and best of luck with the new adventure...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Yesterday was my last day of w*rk at the company I've been with for the last 22 years. The day went well. Came in at the usual time, did a little work, finished cleaning out some electronic and paper files, went to lunch with the boss and a couple of co-w*rkers, came back, sent a few emails to the many poeple I've w*rked with that do not live in my city, and went to the party they threw for me at 3:00. Everyone was great, very nice comments, lots of retirement cards, received a couple of gift cards from the CFO and CEO, had some cake and talked to everyone for about 45 minutes. Then back to my office, said goodbye to some of my closest pals and staff, took one last look at my dark, empty office and left. Got in the car and drove home. No tears, no trauma - nice. Not exactly how I thought it would all go, but happy it went well.

I had dreams in the night about work and woke up at 4:00 this morning a bit troubled by the dreams, so I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been busy all day just doing stuff and haven't even gotten to reading the WSJ (which I've always done). Guess that is what everyone talks about when they say they don't know how they ever found time to w*rk.

Mentally, I haven't processed all of this yet. I think it will take a few weeks to really feel relaxed and have the stress go away. Today, it just seems like a day off, except I can't look at w*rk emails while at home (gave up the i-phone and laptop yesterday). I do think that spending so much more time alone, and at home, will take some getting used to (DW is planning to w*rk for another 4 years or so). But I have more projects and chores lined up than I could do in the next 4-6 months.

Thanks to all of you on this forum. Reading all of your posts for the last 5 months has really helped me understand the good, and the bad, of what I might expect as I went through this process. I'm a big planner, so it was important to me to have this information from those that have, or were, experiencing the same things.

P.S. - And to have the DOW drop over 200 points on my first day of FIRE wan't what I expected either!
I still dream about work even though I retired in January of 2008. My DH has done much better letting go

As far as the DOW drop, don't worry too much. It's really a routine dip. I hope so anyway, I'm sure no expert about the market.

I too found much comfort here leading up to my retirement. Then, I found some good folks to talk about stuff with.

Good luck, pleasant dreams and CONGRATULATIONS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg congratulations_cat.jpg (28.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the report, Packman! I think my stress lowered considerably during the first couple of months of retirement (it took a little while). Hopefully it will for you, too. The dreams die down after a while, too.

Glad you had such a nice final day. And now, you have a great retirement ahead of you.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #234
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well hopefully I can be added to the list very shortly! Looks like I sold the house today and that was a necessity. May have to change my name as I will JUST turn 43 before it goes through and I milk all the benefits from the copmpany I work for. This is so exciting!
freedom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom42 View Post
Well hopefully I can be added to the list very shortly! Looks like I sold the house today and that was a necessity. May have to change my name as I will JUST turn 43 before it goes through and I milk all the benefits from the copmpany I work for. This is so exciting!
I don't see you on the list, feel free to add yourself, or one of us can do it if you provide your age & date...

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, today is DH's first day of retirement!

They threw a retirement party for him last week and yesterday was his last day of work. They had a 43 item retirement punch list at MegaCorp that he & his boss went through to completion.

At least they let him off with 1/2 day of work on last day!

So far, I can't say it has hit him yet, the retirement thing. Engineers are so focused & dedicated....I can't wait for him to calm down & relax....
May take a week or so.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #237
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
Well, today is DH's first day of retirement!

They threw a retirement party for him last week and yesterday was his last day of work. They had a 43 item retirement punch list at MegaCorp that he & his boss went through to completion.

At least they let him off with 1/2 day of work on last day!

So far, I can't say it has hit him yet, the retirement thing. Engineers are so focused & dedicated....I can't wait for him to calm down & relax....
May take a week or so.
He will be so focused & dedicated to calm down & relax, it will take him no time at all.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2nd stake went into the ground yesterday. While I had informed my mgmt. of my 8/12/11 retirement date a month ago, they had asked me to keep it quiet for a while (maybe I would change my mind....).

The last two days were spent at a conference with managers who have reported to me for 14 years. Yesterday morning I had a presentation and at the end informed them of my mid-August retirement. It was a lot more emotional than I had expected, on both sides. I'm sure by today, it's made it's way across megacorp.

So, I'm now committed and have a few anxieties popping up, but am really interested in what awaits me now that it is public. A lot of my work involves long range strategies and investment. I wonder how that will go now....

My DW is happy as can be and very supportive.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqxsw View Post
My 2nd stake went into the ground yesterday. While I had informed my mgmt. of my 8/12/11 retirement date a month ago, they had asked me to keep it quiet for a while (maybe I would change my mind....).

The last two days were spent at a conference with managers who have reported to me for 14 years. Yesterday morning I had a presentation and at the end informed them of my mid-August retirement. It was a lot more emotional than I had expected, on both sides. I'm sure by today, it's made it's way across megacorp.

So, I'm now committed and have a few anxieties popping up, but am really interested in what awaits me now that it is public. A lot of my work involves long range strategies and investment. I wonder how that will go now....

My DW is happy as can be and very supportive.
Congrats! It's an exciting period when you first go public with your plans, enjoy it.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #240
Dryer sheet aficionado

I won't have an official date until use up my benefits and I give my notice, could be 1 to 3 months so I'll get someone to add me once I can confirm a date )
freedom42 is offline   Reply With Quote