Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPIES60 View Post
This forum has been a hugh help for understanding the emotional side as well the financial side of retirement. Thanks all.
Me too. Congratulations!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #362
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Time to rise and give it up for JJPIES60 and Arnie! Congratulations, well done!
Thanks Steelyman ... I'll have a better idea when I don't go into work Monday, but life is great so far.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Getting Closer
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #363
Dryer sheet aficionado

Getting Closer

Well gang only two weeks to go as the 29th is rapidly approaching. My boss asked if I would consider delaying the date for 4 - 6 weeks and I had to think for at least a nanosecond before declaring....NOOOOOOO! Then they asked if I would just drop down to part time, but I want to do through with my formal separation as planned, but did offer to consult to help get them over the hump for a few weeks. I will have to see if they are agreeable to my terms. We are already paying for our own heath care, so working part time and any benefits offered do not enter into the mix. Also want to be able to start the 401k rollover to have access to the money.

Cleaning out the office and letting more people know of the decision has been bittersweet. Folks have continued with the congratulations and the I wish I was in your shoes! I will certainly miss the people, but not the day to day activities and the stress. If I never have to care about EV performance or have to fill out another PP chart, it will be too soon.

Have been enjoying many bottles of wine as we prepare for the big day. Also was able to start reading the new Connelly novel on the Nook, an activity that I have not been able to do for a few months. Sitting on the front patio, Ipod playing, the Nook and an adult beverage. Now that's what I call work.

Congrats to those whose day has come and gone and keep those who will follow in your thoughts.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NookWine-n-Tinker View Post
Well gang only two weeks to go as the 29th is rapidly approaching. My boss asked if I would consider delaying the date for 4 - 6 weeks and I had to think for at least a nanosecond before declaring....NOOOOOOO! Then they asked if I would just drop down to part time, but I want to do through with my formal separation as planned, but did offer to consult to help get them over the hump for a few weeks. I will have to see if they are agreeable to my terms. We are already paying for our own heath care, so working part time and any benefits offered do not enter into the mix. Also want to be able to start the 401k rollover to have access to the money.

Cleaning out the office and letting more people know of the decision has been bittersweet. Folks have continued with the congratulations and the I wish I was in your shoes! I will certainly miss the people, but not the day to day activities and the stress. If I never have to care about EV performance or have to fill out another PP chart, it will be too soon.

Have been enjoying many bottles of wine as we prepare for the big day. Also was able to start reading the new Connelly novel on the Nook, an activity that I have not been able to do for a few months. Sitting on the front patio, Ipod playing, the Nook and an adult beverage. Now that's what I call work.

Congrats to those whose day has come and gone and keep those who will follow in your thoughts.
Congratulations! Your title made me think of this old song by Grand Funk Railroad. I'm getting closer to my home.....

Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #365
Full time employment: Posting here.

4 Months into Retirement, I'm still feeling very relaxed and enjoying the little that I have to do.

The best feeling comes to me on Sunday nights; my previous job involved managing distributors throughout Asia, so Sunday evenings usually start with the phone ringing, with issues, problems, etc, and usually it would be past midnight before I could go to bed ( with a horrible 45 minute commute the next morning ).

And it's so relaxing to go to my association clubhouse and sit in the spa 9:00 am on Mondays, not having to deal with the stress of reports, warranties, shipping problems, collections, etc, etc.

Hopefully this feeling will be with me for some time, definitely not getting bored.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #366
Dryer sheet aficionado

Coolius,
You are truly an inspiration to us all! I now have 4 days to go (really 3 and 1/2) as I am done at lunch on Friday. I look forward to having the times to do the things I enjoy. I was walking at lunch with a co-worker today and just remarked how it was such a beautiful day and it would be great to sit on the patio, Nook in hand reading the new Clancy novel, enjoying the day and possibly (okay probably) sipping an adult beverage.

It does look like I will be helping out for another 4-6 weeks, but it will be part time, a couple of days a week on my terms. Still some of the same old grind but a much less stressful environment. Will pick up a few extra bucks for that new big screen or an upgraded Harley. . . . DW will probably prevail and say use it to pay down the car loan. Oh well, a guy can dream!

Being able to do what we want, when we want has great appeal. A Pale Ale toast to all.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

I share the feelings on the countdown. DW has 9 days left & I, 29 or so. We're off to at least a year in Playa Del Carmen to do some volunteer work (and quality time on the beach). We are pinching ourselves every day & selling all our crapola to make it a "simple" move.

Here's a couple stories of our departures from w**k.

DW gave notice to her boss; he had her hold off as he didn't know how it would be received (walk her out the door thing). They are still trying to get her to stay, but I'm pretty sure she has "checked out".

I gave mine on Thursday. Kind of had to. They came to me to talk about the layoffs on Friday and I was asked to move into one of the other guys position in the new org. chart. I felt obligated to then tell him my intention only 3 weeks away to give notice. Saved one guy's job and they asked me to stay as long as I wanted. I even told them I'd be ok if I was one of the ones cut on Friday...they wouldn't have it.

It has been a very good departure and they invited me to come back "when I'm done with my fling" if I wanted a jo*...very cool place to have w**ked.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #368

Within a week another 5 of the class are due to retire.

Tick tock, tick tock....
Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #369

Love hearing the stories... It's been 3 months today since my last day at w*rk. I have to say I don't miss it!! Since I have a contract for a year in case they need me for bail-outs (so far it's been 2 whole hours, and I don't expect a lot more) I still peek into work email every now and then to see what's going on. Every time I do that, I think, I'm glad I'm not there anymore! I had a good job with a great group of people, but not working beats working, and I don't miss the problems.

In the meantime, I have been busy - 2 trips, a bunch of family activities, hobbies. I did start volunteering, helping with the kitties at Petsmart one morning a week. That's fun stuff for me. But now that things are settling down a bit, I find myself fighting the urge to "do" something. Someone stop me before I do something stupid!! (haha) Whoops, I'm over it now.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #370
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds, like you're off and running great, cj. Excellent!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NookWine-n-Tinker View Post
Coolius,
You are truly an inspiration to us all! I now have 4 days to go (really 3 and 1/2) as I am done at lunch on Friday. I look forward to having the times to do the things I enjoy. I was walking at lunch with a co-worker today and just remarked how it was such a beautiful day and it would be great to sit on the patio, Nook in hand reading the new Clancy novel, enjoying the day and possibly (okay probably) sipping an adult beverage.

It does look like I will be helping out for another 4-6 weeks, but it will be part time, a couple of days a week on my terms. Still some of the same old grind but a much less stressful environment. Will pick up a few extra bucks for that new big screen or an upgraded Harley. . . . DW will probably prevail and say use it to pay down the car loan. Oh well, a guy can dream!

Being able to do what we want, when we want has great appeal. A Pale Ale toast to all.

Nook,

Your countdown is really accelerating into the final seconds! Only 2 and 1/2 days left, go, go go!!

So, here's congratulations in advance! Now start preparing to wake up on Monday morning, September 1, 2011 to your well deserved and well earned FIREd life!!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Love hearing the stories... It's been 3 months today since my last day at w*rk. I have to say I don't miss it!! Since I have a contract for a year in case they need me for bail-outs (so far it's been 2 whole hours, and I don't expect a lot more) I still peek into work email every now and then to see what's going on. Every time I do that, I think, I'm glad I'm not there anymore! I had a good job with a great group of people, but not working beats working, and I don't miss the problems.

In the meantime, I have been busy - 2 trips, a bunch of family activities, hobbies. I did start volunteering, helping with the kitties at Petsmart one morning a week. That's fun stuff for me. But now that things are settling down a bit, I find myself fighting the urge to "do" something. Someone stop me before I do something stupid!! (haha) Whoops, I'm over it now.
Awww, lucky Petsmart kitties
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #373
Recycles dryer sheets

In my fourth week. It's finally beginning to sink in that I'm not on vacation. We drove by my old office/university the other day, and I had a twinge of nostalgia. By the time we got home the feeling had passed, and I watched the finale of the Tour de France and started a new knitting project and had a glass of wine..... almost every day now, I actually say to myself, "I'm happy."
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBored View Post
In my fourth week. It's finally beginning to sink in that I'm not on vacation. We drove by my old office/university the other day, and I had a twinge of nostalgia. By the time we got home the feeling had passed, and I watched the finale of the Tour de France and started a new knitting project and had a glass of wine..... almost every day now, I actually say to myself, "I'm happy."
Yes, you ARE on vacation. A permanent one!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #375

Another banner day for the Class of 2011 - freedom42 gets his freedom!

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chas57006 & DW (a twofer) (57) 6/30
chinaco (55) 7/29
cj (56) 5/1
Coolius (60) 4/1
crispus (56) 2/?
Danijoh (63) 1/?
dessert (60) 3/31
freedom42 (43) 7/28
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
heirloom (61) 6/1
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (61) 7/15
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
NookWine-n-Tinker (50) 7/29
norske69 (59) 6/13
nvestysly DW (48) Jan
nvestysly (52) 7/8
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
REattempt (46) 7/30
RobertFrost (62) 7/1
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Seeking Hobbes (48) 5/13
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
SomedaySoon(53) 5/10
Skye (62) 1/1
slj455 (62) 6/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/16
Sullidc (58) 1/1
Surewhitey (40) 9/5?
Surewhitey DW (46) 8/5?
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
Tree-dweller (58) 12/31?
zaqxsw (57) 8/12
Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Freedom, so aptly named!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #377

Hmmmm. I theenk gsparks2 might have reached a big day today, based on a post this morning:

Hi! I am Greg

... but not sure without some verification!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #378
Recycles dryer sheets

Removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Another banner day for the Class of 2011 - freedom42 gets his freedom!

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chas57006 & DW (a twofer) (57) 6/30
chinaco (55) 7/29
cj (56) 5/1
Coolius (60) 4/1
crispus (56) 2/?
Danijoh (63) 1/?
dessert (60) 3/31
freedom42 (43) 7/28
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
heirloom (61) 6/1
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (61) 7/15
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
NookWine-n-Tinker (50) 7/29
norske69 (59) 6/13
nvestysly DW (48) Jan
nvestysly (52) 7/8
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
RobertFrost (62) 7/1
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Seeking Hobbes (48) 5/13
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
SomedaySoon(53) 5/10
Skye (62) 1/1
slj455 (62) 6/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/16
Sullidc (58) 1/1
Surewhitey (40) 9/5?
Surewhitey DW (46) 8/5?
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
Tree-dweller (58) 12/31?
zaqxsw (57) 8/12
Don't know the etiquette here, but I removed myself from the list. Embarrasing as it is, I'm not going to make my date.

We sold the business and for a couple reason have decided to continue working...for now. I've realized a couple things through the process.

1) You need to have a plan. I'm coming to realize that I need to have the money structured in a way that I can live off of. I also need to have health insurance, which while I can take COBRA and fix it later, it is better to have it out of the gate. Yes, these are excuses, but real to me...which brings me to the other realization:

2) I need to have a plan. In the Gut check thread... Final Gut Check...Feedback? BigNick, Packman, Midpack, Alan challenged me that my issue wasn't the money, but the emotional/mental aspects of the transition were my issues and they are right. I hate to admit it, but I read their book recommendations between selling the business (7/1) and the date I was going to give notice (7/15). As the date came closer, I realized I don't know what I'm going to do and I'm a bit scared! As a result, I've started to put together a bit of a plan for myself on what my interests/activities are going to be, what I'm going to pursue. I've also started to put down all the things I need to have in place. Since I'm a bit of a planner and doer, having the checklist and working it dilligently, when I get to a list that has check marks on it Hopefully I will be comfortable pulling the trigger!

I should be back on the list for 2011 or 2012.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
Don't know the etiquette here, but I removed myself from the list. Embarrasing as it is, I'm not going to make my date.
You don't have anything to be embarrased about. It's a big decision, the right time is a unique personal choice, and this isn't a contest. I was FI several years before I retired, but like you I wasn't mentally ready.

And I started a similar thread about myself titled "what a wimp..." a while back after balking at pulling the trigger. I expected folks here to give me some grief, but no one did, though a few took the humorous route to reply.

You will know when you are ready, and only you. It's all good here.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #380

Nothing at all to be embarrassed about, in my opinion. I think only you can determine when the time is right to take the leap, others can give you pointers and resources, and it sounds like you took the feedback you received here to heart. Good for you!

I will look forward to seeing your name back on one of "The Class Of..." lists when the time is right for you .

p.s. I am getting closer too, and I am experiencing many of the same feelings/emotions. I think they are quite normal, and I'm sure there are many on the forum who could comment from experience.