Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #161
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the good wishes CJ, also wish you well this first Monday of not going to w**k!

NW Landlady and DH - hope you enjoyed the dinner. Just wait until the 30 days are up, a great feeling then!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's Monday, and I'm not at work. Tomorrow is Tuesday, and I won't be going to work. The next day is Wednesday...

I got up late this morning an went out for a nice long walk. Life is soooooooo good!!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats from the hopeful Class of 2012.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

...and the Class of 2014...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove the stake into the ground and announced my retirement date this morning. Fought off the counter offer, but did land a nice surprise waiting for me in Feb. 2012 for "agreeing" to work three more months (my plan worked). This is the 2nd BIGGEST milestone in my 35 yr. career . Milestone #1 is in three months.

Tough haul fighting with myself over the last few months, but it was actually easier to do than what I had thought. It did have an immediate effect on my mental state and I'm now getting excited.

Three more months to go. I've been asked to keep it quiet for the next month while they discuss my successor. So I anticipate a much larger sense of relieve when it goes public and I enter the "lame duck - short timer" mode.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqxsw View Post
So I anticipate a much larger sense of relieve when it goes public and I enter the "lame duck - short timer" mode.
I hope you enjoy your lame duck days, I give it very mixed reviews (and asked my boss to wait to no avail).

About a month in to a 3 month lame duck period, I am finding the people I care about sweeter than ever which is nice. But a few of them have gone overboard with emails heaping praise on me much too early on and with a last day finality and tone - some of them sort of feel like attending your own funeral or reading your eulogy while you're alive.

And as expected, the handful of people I hope to forget the day I walk out the door for the last time, are more obnoxious than ever... The only consolation, it honestly doesn't get to me at all - I only have 36 work days left which is nothing in a lifetime.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpack,

I really appreciate your insight. Yea, I can see that happen.

I'm in a company that if you have my kind of job and the right mental health (I don't have the latter), you milk it until you are at least 60, or if you are truly smart, 65. Ya know, you never know...... better stay working......

My situation is going to be more like another poster, whom I'm not looking up, where folks are asking "where are you going for YOUR NEW JOB?"

Honestly, I'm 57 this Sunday with a good 35 yr. career behind me, but folks are going to think I bailed way too early. I do know I saved a whole lot more than most during my career, so maybe that explains it.

Interesting consideration of values. Time vs. Money. I DO KNOW my DW is ecstatic that I announced today. She knows I'm a completely different person when I don't work. It just took a few two week vacations in the past to prove that.......
Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hang in there, lame ducks! Midpack, I hear you - your real work "friends" will be there for you. The rest are mostly insecure and/or jealous. I had a lot of the former, and almost none of the latter. I was blessed by a great group of people where I was. Zaqxsw, I hear you, too! My first job was in 1970 when I was in high school, and I started working full time as soon as I graduated HS in 1972. College for me was years and years of night school. So for those who thought I was "too young" at 56, well, I've done my time, thank you!!

CJ

...finishing up my first full week of no work and lovin' every minute of it!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

My experience so far

I will retire on 5/31 at age 54. I gave my notice on March 7th in the hopes that I would leave on great terms with plenty of time to plan a transition. My experience this last 60 days has not been what I expected, and has been frustrating. First, my boss told no one for over 30 days, so the 90 days of notice that I gave to insure my staff didn't get buried upon my departure isn't happening. I was asked to stay quiet, but by the end of March, I decided to tell a half dozen people just so they could prepare themselves.

There have been other frustrations. One is that everyone is being so quiet - perhaps given my relatively young age, they think I've been fired. My company has been going through hard times financially for a number of years and I am a finance executive. I don't think most people really believe anyone at my age (and income level) can, or would, voluntarily "retire". So it has been a somewhat uncomfortable situation. The owners, and most other executives, of the company haven't said a word to me about this.

Another issue I found is quite the opposite of what I thought would happen. I really expected that as a lame duck, I would just wind down after a 22 year career and spend much these 90 days training others. Instead, everybody keeps coming to me asking me to take care of things that will go well past my retirement date, even though they now know I'm leaving. It's like denial or something.

In hindsight, I should have given less notice. The company will not pay me for my PTO time so I am only working 3 day weeks now to use some of that time. Given that, I only have 10 work days left. It's too bad, as this time of my career should be filled with joy and giddy anticipation of a fantastic retirement. Unfortunately, the time at work continues to get worse. Although I am very much looking forward to that final day of work, and leaving the stress behind.

The cool thing is that I'm seeing a whole new world that is opening up for me. I can do anything I want, anytime I want - without a financial worry. Life is still good and will get better in 3 more weeks!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post

The cool thing is that I'm seeing a whole new world that is opening up for me. I can do anything I want, anytime I want - without a financial worry. Life is still good and will get better in 3 more weeks!
Thanks for sharing your experience and impressions, Packman. My guess is that one week into your official retirement, this last paragraph will be the only one that matters.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I told my direct boss and also her boss a while ago that I would be retiring this summer, I've now given "official" notice that my last day will be June 30. I expect to make a general announcement next Tuesday to the larger group of co-w*rkers. I'm not looking forward to the questions, but have a pat answer that since my husband is retiring, it's a good time to join him.

I've been at this university for almost 35 years. It is an odd mix of emotions every day now: sadness at times and impatience at others. I have little patience with the bureaucracy, but it will be very strange to turn out the lights and close the blinds. I've started cleaning out files and going through drawers and cabinets, and have pretty much stopped going to meetings. I've asked for no big party, it's not my style, but hope to have a dinner or lunch with my friends.

What's really helping is that I have next week, then two weeks vacation, then a long weekend, a day in the office and leave on my last business trip for the rest of that week. Then take a deep breath and work the last four weeks. I think by then I'll be ready.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBored View Post
Although I told my direct boss and also her boss a while ago that I would be retiring this summer, I've now given "official" notice that my last day will be June 30. I expect to make a general announcement next Tuesday to the larger group of co-w*rkers. I'm not looking forward to the questions, but have a pat answer that since my husband is retiring, it's a good time to join him.

I've been at this university for almost 35 years. It is an odd mix of emotions every day now: sadness at times and impatience at others. I have little patience with the bureaucracy, but it will be very strange to turn out the lights and close the blinds. I've started cleaning out files and going through drawers and cabinets, and have pretty much stopped going to meetings. I've asked for no big party, it's not my style, but hope to have a dinner or lunch with my friends.

What's really helping is that I have next week, then two weeks vacation, then a long weekend, a day in the office and leave on my last business trip for the rest of that week. Then take a deep breath and work the last four weeks. I think by then I'll be ready.
You sound very grounded and on the right path. Hang in there and keep in touch with your progress, we are pulling for you.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Unfortunately, the time at work continues to get worse. Although I am very much looking forward to that final day of work, and leaving the stress behind.
Amen, and that is why I feel so confident now about my decision. The increasing stress is taking it's toll on me. Losing that stress and getting my mental and physical health back is almost a medical "must" for me now.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Just checked for updates and carrying the list forward...looks like we have 3 "graduates" at the end of May!

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1
dessert (60) 3/31
frugal-one (??)
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
Skye (62) 1/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/15
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I hope you enjoy your lame duck days, I give it very mixed reviews (and asked my boss to wait to no avail).

About a month in to a 3 month lame duck period, I am finding the people I care about sweeter than ever which is nice. But a few of them have gone overboard with emails heaping praise on me much too early on and with a last day finality and tone - some of them sort of feel like attending your own funeral or reading your eulogy while you're alive.

And as expected, the handful of people I hope to forget the day I walk out the door for the last time, are more obnoxious than ever... The only consolation, it honestly doesn't get to me at all - I only have 36 work days left which is nothing in a lifetime.

Hang in there!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

What does FIRE stand for??

I'm 61 1/2 and will be retiring plus receiving a severance pay because my job is being eliminated..

Plus, my husband is thinking about putting his 2 wks notice in. This is kind of scarry, from 2 incomes to 2 pension checks!! But if he wants to, we will find a way.

Last year we were at camp taking a walk in early evening and I told him "I could live with this". Enjoying the sunset, starting to exercise more and enjoying it, not worrying about getting back home to get ready for work. Plus, a coulple friends have been waiting for this day so we can travel together more.

Were any of you leary before you first retired?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom View Post
I'm 61 1/2 and will be retiring plus receiving a severance pay because my job is being eliminated..

Plus, my husband is thinking about putting his 2 wks notice in. This is kind of scarry, from 2 incomes to 2 pension checks!! But if he wants to, we will find a way.

Last year we were at camp taking a walk in early evening and I told him "I could live with this". Enjoying the sunset, starting to exercise more and enjoying it, not worrying about getting back home to get ready for work. Plus, a coulple friends have been waiting for this day so we can travel together more.

Hi Heirloom. I did six months of intense homework on the money side before I put in 2 months notice. I felt I was OK there. I was slightly apprehensive about how I would feel not working anymore and that's going fine too. Be sure and browse the forum including the faq's. There is a lot of good information that will help you.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Not financially; I've prepared and researched a ton, and am sure we'll be fine. DH isn't as convinced as I am, but he's pretty much a pessimist anyway. We don't feel or live wealthy, but are very diversified in our income streams, and probably will not tap portfolio income until we are forced to take RMD. We have health insurance (one of the reasons I stayed in my career 35 years) and are fairly healthy.

I'm excited too -- I've started riding my bike early every morning before leaving for the office and that alone is really helping me through the lame duck days. We enjoy riding together and are planning to ride a lot this summer. We've gotten a bit into birding, which is working nicely into our photography/biking/painting hobbies and have met some nice people in our local Audubon group.

Sounds like you and your DH will enjoy your time together. I'm hoping my DH will let go of his "the sky is falling or if it isn't, it could!" mantra and enjoy what we've worked hard to get. I'm seeing some encouraging signs lately.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm 61 1/2 and will be retiring plus receiving a severance pay because my job is being eliminated...
Congrats heirloom! I'm not quite yet retired so I can't answer credibly - but can we add you to the list (example below) and do you have a date we can enter?

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1
dessert (60) 3/31
frugal-one (??)
heirloom (61) date unknown
heyduke (55) 3/1
Jacmac (53) 1/1
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JmfromTx (56) 1/31
KingB (62) 1/31
KingB DW (63) 4/1
kwblack (54) 1/1
martyp (55) 3/1
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31
Prototype (55) 1/15
Purron DH (55) 3/1
RunningBum (49) 3/15
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1
Skye (62) 1/1
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/15
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

FIreD
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

FIreD

Ok, I don't know the protocol, but I added myself to the list. Since about 16, my goal was age 45. Would have made it except for a **vorce. Saving and planning for years. I now have about 60 days to figure out healthcare, restructuring assets and deciding what to do for the summer. Also been following, with great interest, the thread on anxiety with early retirement. Given that this happened really quickly, i.e. found out today that changes that are coming that move me from the class of 2015 to 2011, so I'm facing a new (happy) reality that I wasn't quite ready for....

Now the REAL QUESTION is how to I change my login from REattempt to REsuccess? Any good ideas?

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31
bizlady (55) 4/11
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1
dessert (60) 3/31
frugal-one (??)
heirloom (61) date unknown
heyduke (55) 3/1