The Class of 2011

Update on my DH, who retired as of 3/1/11. He's adjusted to retirement very well - way better than I did ;) His blood pressure has dropped and he's getting lots of rest. I'm thrilled about this because I was worried about how the pressure of work, plus the horrible commute, was impacting his health.

We're working on getting our place ready to sell and preparing to move back into our former rental property. It's much smaller so we've been busy de-junking this place. Also, he's working on building a garage at our other place. Working with our county for the permit has been a major pain, but we're almost there.

DH's office calls him once or twice a week with questions and he's gone in to help a couple of his coworkers with stuff. He doesn't mind doing this at all. Not surprising given he's the kind of guy who helps strangers during snowstorms. One of the many reasons I love him.

Once we get the housing situation settled, we'll engage in more typical retirement activities. DH wants to start a garden and we'd both like to do a little traveling. Nothing big - mainly small trips to see friends and family.

So far, so good.

Finally down to my last month of work. 19 more work days. My mind is drifting from work to my retirement more each day

Update on my DH, who retired as of 3/1/11. He's adjusted to retirement very well - way better than I did ;) His blood pressure has dropped and he's getting lots of rest. I'm thrilled about this because I was worried about how the pressure of work, plus the horrible commute, was impacting his health.

We're working on getting our place ready to sell and preparing to move back into our former rental property. It's much smaller so we've been busy de-junking this place. Also, he's working on building a garage at our other place. Working with our county for the permit has been a major pain, but we're almost there.

DH's office calls him once or twice a week with questions and he's gone in to help a couple of his coworkers with stuff. He doesn't mind doing this at all. Not surprising given he's the kind of guy who helps strangers during snowstorms. One of the many reasons I love him.

Once we get the housing situation settled, we'll engage in more typical retirement activities. DH wants to start a garden and we'd both like to do a little traveling. Nothing big - mainly small trips to see friends and family.

So far, so good.

Thanks for the update on your DH, Purron! Sounds like he is adjusting well, but his office sure isn't! :LOL:

Looks like today is the day for heirloom, congratulations!!!

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
Beryl (56) 1/31 :greetings10:
bizlady (55) 4/11 :greetings10:
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chas57006 & DW (a twofer) (57) 6/30
chinaco (55)
cj (56) 5/1 :greetings10:
crispus (56) 2/? :greetings10:
dessert (60) 3/31 :greetings10:
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
heirloom (61½) 6/1 :greetings10:
heyduke (55) 3/1 :greetings10:
Jacmac (53) 1/1 :greetings10:
Jacmac DH (56) 5/31 :greetings10:
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (51) 7/15
JmfromTx (56) 1/31 :greetings10:
KingB (62) 1/31:greetings10:
KingB DW (63) 4/1:greetings10:
kwblack (54) 1/1 :greetings10:
martyp (55) 3/1 :greetings10:
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
norske69 (59) 6/13
NW Landlady DH (55) 5/31 :greetings10:
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
Packman (54) 5/31 :greetings10:
Prototype (55) 1/15 :greetings10:
Purron DH (55) 3/1 :greetings10:
REattempt (46) 7/30
RunningBum (49) 3/15 :greetings10:
Sixteen Tons (57) 5/1 :greetings10:
Skye (62) 1/1 :greetings10:
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/15
TodaysTheDay (55) 3/14 :greetings10:
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

Ta Da, the BIG day has arrived

Yesterday was my last day of w*rk at the company I've been with for the last 22 years. The day went well. Came in at the usual time, did a little work, finished cleaning out some electronic and paper files, went to lunch with the boss and a couple of co-w*rkers, came back, sent a few emails to the many poeple I've w*rked with that do not live in my city, and went to the party they threw for me at 3:00. Everyone was great, very nice comments, lots of retirement cards, received a couple of gift cards from the CFO and CEO, had some cake and talked to everyone for about 45 minutes. Then back to my office, said goodbye to some of my closest pals and staff, took one last look at my dark, empty office and left. Got in the car and drove home. No tears, no trauma - nice. Not exactly how I thought it would all go, but happy it went well.

I had dreams in the night about work and woke up at 4:00 this morning a bit troubled by the dreams, so I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been busy all day just doing stuff and haven't even gotten to reading the WSJ (which I've always done). Guess that is what everyone talks about when they say they don't know how they ever found time to w*rk.

Mentally, I haven't processed all of this yet. I think it will take a few weeks to really feel relaxed and have the stress go away. Today, it just seems like a day off, except I can't look at w*rk emails while at home (gave up the i-phone and laptop yesterday:greetings10:). I do think that spending so much more time alone, and at home, will take some getting used to (DW is planning to w*rk for another 4 years or so). But I have more projects and chores lined up than I could do in the next 4-6 months.

Thanks to all of you on this forum. Reading all of your posts for the last 5 months has really helped me understand the good, and the bad, of what I might expect as I went through this process. I'm a big planner, so it was important to me to have this information from those that have, or were, experiencing the same things.

P.S. - And to have the DOW drop over 200 points on my first day of FIRE wan't what I expected either!

Sounds like you're off to a good start Packman, I hope my last day(s) go as well. Congrats, and best of luck with the new adventure...

Yesterday was my last day of w*rk at the company I've been with for the last 22 years. The day went well. Came in at the usual time, did a little work, finished cleaning out some electronic and paper files, went to lunch with the boss and a couple of co-w*rkers, came back, sent a few emails to the many poeple I've w*rked with that do not live in my city, and went to the party they threw for me at 3:00. Everyone was great, very nice comments, lots of retirement cards, received a couple of gift cards from the CFO and CEO, had some cake and talked to everyone for about 45 minutes. Then back to my office, said goodbye to some of my closest pals and staff, took one last look at my dark, empty office and left. Got in the car and drove home. No tears, no trauma - nice. Not exactly how I thought it would all go, but happy it went well.

I had dreams in the night about work and woke up at 4:00 this morning a bit troubled by the dreams, so I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been busy all day just doing stuff and haven't even gotten to reading the WSJ (which I've always done). Guess that is what everyone talks about when they say they don't know how they ever found time to w*rk.

Mentally, I haven't processed all of this yet. I think it will take a few weeks to really feel relaxed and have the stress go away. Today, it just seems like a day off, except I can't look at w*rk emails while at home (gave up the i-phone and laptop yesterday:greetings10:). I do think that spending so much more time alone, and at home, will take some getting used to (DW is planning to w*rk for another 4 years or so). But I have more projects and chores lined up than I could do in the next 4-6 months.

Thanks to all of you on this forum. Reading all of your posts for the last 5 months has really helped me understand the good, and the bad, of what I might expect as I went through this process. I'm a big planner, so it was important to me to have this information from those that have, or were, experiencing the same things.

P.S. - And to have the DOW drop over 200 points on my first day of FIRE wan't what I expected either!

I still dream about work even though I retired in January of 2008. My DH has done much better letting go;)

As far as the DOW drop, don't worry too much. It's really a routine dip. I hope so anyway, I'm sure no expert about the market.

I too found much comfort here leading up to my retirement. Then, I found some good folks to talk about stuff with.

Good luck, pleasant dreams and CONGRATULATIONS:clap::clap::clap:

Attachments

• congratulations_cat.jpg
    congratulations_cat.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for the report, Packman! I think my stress lowered considerably during the first couple of months of retirement (it took a little while). Hopefully it will for you, too. The dreams die down after a while, too.

Glad you had such a nice final day. And now, you have a great retirement ahead of you. :D

Well hopefully I can be added to the list very shortly! Looks like I sold the house today and that was a necessity. May have to change my name as I will JUST turn 43 before it goes through and I milk all the benefits from the copmpany I work for. This is so exciting!

Well hopefully I can be added to the list very shortly! Looks like I sold the house today and that was a necessity. May have to change my name as I will JUST turn 43 before it goes through and I milk all the benefits from the copmpany I work for. This is so exciting!
I don't see you on the list, feel free to add yourself, or one of us can do it if you provide your age & date...

Well, today is DH's first day of retirement! :clap:

They threw a retirement party for him last week and yesterday was his last day of work. They had a 43 item retirement punch list at MegaCorp that he & his boss went through to completion.:facepalm:

At least they let him off with 1/2 day of work on last day! ;)

So far, I can't say it has hit him yet, the retirement thing. Engineers are so focused & dedicated....I can't wait for him to calm down & relax....
May take a week or so. :rolleyes:

Well, today is DH's first day of retirement! :clap:

They threw a retirement party for him last week and yesterday was his last day of work. They had a 43 item retirement punch list at MegaCorp that he & his boss went through to completion.:facepalm:

At least they let him off with 1/2 day of work on last day! ;)

So far, I can't say it has hit him yet, the retirement thing. Engineers are so focused & dedicated....I can't wait for him to calm down & relax....
May take a week or so. :rolleyes:

He will be so focused & dedicated to calm down & relax, it will take him no time at all.

My 2nd stake went into the ground yesterday. While I had informed my mgmt. of my 8/12/11 retirement date a month ago, they had asked me to keep it quiet for a while (maybe I would change my mind....).

The last two days were spent at a conference with managers who have reported to me for 14 years. Yesterday morning I had a presentation and at the end informed them of my mid-August retirement. It was a lot more emotional than I had expected, on both sides. I'm sure by today, it's made it's way across megacorp.

So, I'm now committed and have a few anxieties popping up, but am really interested in what awaits me now that it is public. A lot of my work involves long range strategies and investment. I wonder how that will go now....:confused:

My DW is happy as can be and very supportive.

My 2nd stake went into the ground yesterday. While I had informed my mgmt. of my 8/12/11 retirement date a month ago, they had asked me to keep it quiet for a while (maybe I would change my mind....).

The last two days were spent at a conference with managers who have reported to me for 14 years. Yesterday morning I had a presentation and at the end informed them of my mid-August retirement. It was a lot more emotional than I had expected, on both sides. I'm sure by today, it's made it's way across megacorp.

So, I'm now committed and have a few anxieties popping up, but am really interested in what awaits me now that it is public. A lot of my work involves long range strategies and investment. I wonder how that will go now....:confused:

My DW is happy as can be and very supportive.
Congrats! It's an exciting period when you first go public with your plans, enjoy it.

I won't have an official date until use up my benefits and I give my notice, could be 1 to 3 months so I'll get someone to add me once I can confirm a date :eek:)

Changed my date to the first day I will not be working. Not too far to go :).

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chinaco (55)
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (51) 7/15
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
norske69 (59) 6/13
OhSoClose (54) 6/6
REattempt (46) 7/30
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/16
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

okay I have been retired for three months and I have taken to it rather well :) - living in a motorhome, traveling and now headed to the florida keys for the summer...

ahhh life is grand!

My last day of w*rk today!! Went in for a few hours. Turned in my computer. Completed my clearance checklist. Met with the Chairman one last time. Left early, on the 1:30 train. Wow. That’s it. Over, done. No more bosses, ever. Except my DW, of course.
This past year, the MIL died, the cat died, the dog died, and FIL moved to an institution near DW’s sister. Youngest graduated from college – no boomerangs.
DW and I have a new plan. House goes on market this week. When it sells, we will travel. First Spain for a couple of weeks, but then domestically. Savannah (one month), Key West (one month), Key Largo (45 days), then New Orleans (one month). After New Orleans, move westward. Live in furnished condo or townhome while in each place. Figure out where we want to stay permanently.
Let the adventure begin!!!

My last day of w*rk today!! Went in for a few hours. Turned in my computer. Completed my clearance checklist. Met with the Chairman one last time. Left early, on the 1:30 train. Wow. That’s it. Over, done. No more bosses, ever. Except my DW, of course.
This past year, the MIL died, the cat died, the dog died, and FIL moved to an institution near DW’s sister. Youngest graduated from college – no boomerangs.
DW and I have a new plan. House goes on market this week. When it sells, we will travel. First Spain for a couple of weeks, but then domestically. Savannah (one month), Key West (one month), Key Largo (45 days), then New Orleans (one month). After New Orleans, move westward. Live in furnished condo or townhome while in each place. Figure out where we want to stay permanently.

OhMan OhSoClose, how nice! Thank you for posting and of course:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Raise a toast :D

afntrn56 (55) 11/30
Arnie (55) 7/15
bob boag (55) 7/1
casky (58) 6/29
chinaco (55)
frugal-one (??)
gsparks2 (55) 8/1
jimbohoward69 (41)
jerryo (61) 8/31
JJPIES60 (51) 7/15
Midpack (57) 6/30
NeverBored (59) 6/30
norske69 (59) 6/13
OhSoClose (54) 6/6 :greetings10:
REattempt (46) 7/30
Southern Geek (55) 7/4
steelyman (53) 8/16
Tomcat98 (43) 7/10
zaqxsw (57) 8/12

Sounds like a great plan. Congratulations!

Wow, wow, way to kick it off! The boldness is impressive. I sent this post to my DW !!! :dance:

When it sells, we will travel. First Spain for a couple of weeks, but then domestically. Savannah (one month), Key West (one month), Key Largo (45 days), then New Orleans (one month). Let the adventure begin!!!
Congratulations on your new life OhSoClose.
I'm just curious how you plan to stay a month in one location. I would like to do that and was just wondering how you set up a place to stay for that length of time? Is it easy to do?

Congratulations on your new life OhSoClose.
I'm just curious how you plan to stay a month in one location. I would like to do that and was just wondering how you set up a place to stay for that length of time? Is it easy to do?

Yes, its pretty easy I think if where you plan to go is attractive for tourists and vacationers. Websites like vrbo.com and homeaway.com have numerous furnished rentals by the week and month. We have already booked our Key West and Key Largo rentals. Have not yet done Savannah or New Orleans, but can see that there are many rentals that would meet our needs in those areas.

Back
Top Bottom