Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Merry Christmas to the 2011 Top Cats! We're nearing the end of a full year of whateverwewannado freedom

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #582
Give me a forum ...

2 years for me today!

Ir's a cliche but... I dunno how I found time to work!

Hello again to the marvelous Class Of 2011!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #583
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
2 years for me today!

Congratulations! I am 6 weeks from my second anniversary. I am hoping to start soon on some of the projects on the "to-do" list I created 2 years ago.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #584
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I am 6 weeks from my second anniversary. I am hoping to start soon on some of the projects on the "to-do" list I created 2 years ago.

A few weeks back I stumbled across the "to do" list I made prior to retiring in 2005. Reading it really cracked me up...
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #585

Coming up to 2 years 5 months since I drove out of the company parking lot in April 2011.

Still no regrets, and definitely no missing the early morning commutes, the traveling, and the workplace pressure.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations! I am 6 weeks from my second anniversary. I am hoping to start soon on some of the projects on the "to-do" list I created 2 years ago.

Maybe after a while a statute of limitations expires and it becomes a "to-don't" list!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #587
Administrator

Quote:
My list remains completely untouched after 12 years. () Maybe I was smoking something when I wrote it out, it seemed so lofty and admirable at the time. Maybe just a case of temporary insanity. Probably, I was just so happy to not be working everything looked good. Like a bad infection, I fought it off, and fully recovered. The only time I think about it now is when someone brings it up here on the forum. Like quitting smoking, the addiction is fully broken, it is a bad habit far enough behind me that I can now talk about it without fear of getting hooked again.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #588

I just passed my 2nd anniversary a month or so ago. The date almost passed without me realizing it. One of my former co-workers asked me if I might consider returning to megacorp - they had a two-year clause in the RIF paperwork - and I said the answer was no. Make that NO! Or, for a slightly longer answer H*LL NO!

This retired thing has a way of growing on you.

I just noticed megacorp may lay off as many as 5k more employees. I put together a slide deck of things to do in retirement and things to consider - like insurance, getting your finances in order, etc. Guess I should update the slide deck and send it to former co-workers... they might need it.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #589
Recycles dryer sheets

Two year anniversary last Monday! Absolutely no regrets. My plan still looks solid and I probably could have jumped a year earlier..........

Only cloud was a lower back meltdown in April. Hey, I didn't retire to just lay around.......

It's been 4 months, and with yoga and pilantes, I'm much better. Making up for lost time with 3-4 boating/fishing trips per week now.

I still have not been bored. Had a few mornings where I woke up thinking man, how am I going to fill the day? That thought ends before my first cup of coffee does.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Great tune, MichaelB! Downright gospel!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #591
Dryer sheet wannabe

I passed my 2nd year June 29. As time passes I think less and less about my old job. The first year I would think about my co-workers and what they would be doing ect.

I look forward to everyday. Live really began for us at retirement. Wife and I travel alot and visit the kids more. Never bored and do what we want and when we want.

I am in Canada and will spend a couple months in Florida this winter and a month in Las Vegas.

Life is good!
casky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #592
Recycles dryer sheets

2.5 years here and no regrets. Lost over 80 pounds and feeling great!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #593
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
2 years for me today!

One year seven months and 18 days since ER but who is counting. Sure has been fun and travel filled but I still feel like time is rushing by. Camping for two weeks right now and that does help to slow it a bit. And still some times miss the intellectual stimulation and power from the job. But not enough to back!

Helps that the market has been kind to all of us as we have missed some of the early financial jitters that a down market would have produced.
May our goof fortune continue!
Hnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #594
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnicols View Post
May our goof fortune continue!
+1

If you can't have good fortune I'd take goof fortune any day!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #595
Recycles dryer sheets

nearly 2 years and 8 months we both retired early at age 55, sold our house and all our crap and hit the road in our RV, our biggest concern with no pensions was money (as with most others) - well after nearly three years we have invested well and are only 8k shy of the total amount we retired with, needless to say we don't plan on going back to work anytime soon...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #596
Recycles dryer sheets

Holy buckets everyone........I have until Dec 31st to retire and my birthdate is Dec 20th when I turn 60 ............I feel old to consider 60 ad ER after reading so many encouraging reports! You all have been a blessing to me to make the big leap!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #597
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
nearly 2 years and 8 months we both retired early at age 55, sold our house and all our crap and hit the road in our RV, our biggest concern with no pensions was money (as with most others) - well after nearly three years we have invested well and are only 8k shy of the total amount we retired with, needless to say we don't plan on going back to work anytime soon...
I'm glad to see retirement is going well for you!
BruceinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
heyduke,

Cool that you're doing the RV thing. My wife and I are also Class of 2011 and we're doing something similar although we still have a house.

If you haven't already considered Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanners give it some thought. You can check out the build list HERE. RV CAV has building projects all over the country. You meet some great people and have a chance to see some interesting places along the way. There's no need to have construction experience. All skill levels are welcome. Habitat provides the tools.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #599
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Coming up to 2 years 5 months since I drove out of the company parking lot in April 2011.

Still no regrets, and definitely no missing the early morning commutes, the traveling, and the workplace pressure.
I'm an April 2011 FIRE graduate as well, at age 48.

Someone mentioned finding their to do list recently, and just this weekend I stumbled on my Ernie Zelinski (author of the most excellent The Joy of Not Working) Get-a-Life tree. I was impressed to see both how many things I'd crossed off, plus how many things I'd completely forgotten about. It got me all fired up to add some new things to what feels like a full ER life already.

Regarding former co-workers - I bump into them on occasion since I live in the same town I used to work in, and I try hard to underplay how happy I am to be ER. I'm pretty sure my demeanor gives it all away without my needing to open my mouth.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #600
Recycles dryer sheets

Well it's been more than two years since I pulled the plug, but I've ended up more semi than fully retired, taking a 50% consulting gig about 6 months after moving to Manila (where my wife took a job).

It's worked out to be a pretty good transition, though. I've had plenty of time to play and travel all around Asia (often accompanying my wife on her business trips) and get back to the States for two or three weeks 2 or 3 times a year for . So far, I've visited Hong Kong (3 or 4 times), Thailand (3 or 4 times), Singapore (3 or 4 times), Bali (twice), China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hokkaido (skiing), Australia, New Zealand (also skiing), Tokyo, and all around the Philippines. Still hope to get to Malaysia, Laos, Taipei and Korea.

But I'm also starting to feel ready to retire more fully (but perhaps not completely) and spend more time in Europe and the States! And, I think my wife may be feeling ready to work less (if not fully retire) too. We'll see!

So, so far not exactly what I expected; but very, very good!!!
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote