The Class of 2011

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
The Class of 2011 is about to stand, and the podium is in site!

As this year is about to close, DH and myself are very much aware of how life changing 2011 will be. I downsized my businesses and am now working just a part-time/hobby job out of our home. DH will retire mid April. We have contemplated just how very different 2011 will be. I think the biggest adjustment for us, at least initially will be no regular paycheck!

I also think that I decided to keep my part-time business because I suspect DH will have to make a big adjustment not having a full-time job. Besides, it gives us some backup income.

We have been living off of our planned retirement income for the past 3 years, so I feel comfortable with that. I have to admit to some nervousness, but mostly excitement. 2011--bring it on!

Target: 3/31/2011

Add me to the list! I've been a wishy-washy FIRE-er; I did retire once (theoretically) back in 2006, but they badgered me into coming back on my terms (2 days in the office, one day at home). It's been a good gig, having a 4-day weekend every week. :whistle: But I'm done with it now! Target date: 3/31/2011. Which, of course means that my retirement will theoretically start on April Fool's Day, haha!! I have 9 vacation days to use by 3/31/2011, which is some trick when I only work 3 days per week, so my vacation days may bump my actual leave-the-payroll date into April. Whatever!

I've thought about posting sooner, because I shake my head every day. What I do is IT-related, and because it's very specialized, there is a really long learning curve. In the middle of 2010, I told my boss that 3/31 was my last day, giving mgt 8 months to plan for the transition. And what has happened? Another full-time team member left the group, and my workload has actually increased by a LOT over the past 2 months. So much for managing the transition.

I'm with you, BizLady - bring it on!!

CJ

Add me to the list! I've been a wishy-washy FIRE-er; I did retire once (theoretically) back in 2006, but they badgered me into coming back on my terms (2 days in the office, one day at home). It's been a good gig, having a 4-day weekend every week. :whistle: But I'm done with it now! Target date: 3/31/2011. Which, of course means that my retirement will theoretically start on April Fool's Day, haha!! I have 9 vacation days to use by 3/31/2011, which is some trick when I only work 3 days per week, so my vacation days may bump my actual leave-the-payroll date into April. Whatever!

I've thought about posting sooner, because I shake my head every day. What I do is IT-related, and because it's very specialized, there is a really long learning curve. In the middle of 2010, I told my boss that 3/31 was my last day, giving mgt 8 months to plan for the transition. And what has happened? Another full-time team member left the group, and my workload has actually increased by a LOT over the past 2 months. So much for managing the transition.

I'm with you, BizLady - bring it on!!

CJ

Just remember: a failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

Good luck with the retirement this time around. Maybe it will stick.

DD

My last day to w**k is also 3/31. It feels good to know that it is right around the corner. At least my replacement will arrive 2/1 so that gives us some time to transition. Hope he is a fast learner. :LOL:

I retired a few years ago. DH retires effective 3/1/11 after 33 years on the job. Yeah baby. We're ready.

Congratulations to all of you. 2011 will be an exciting year. Do you guys have butterflies in your stomachs?

Congratulations to all of you. 2011 will be an exciting year. Do you guys have butterflies in your stomachs?
No I don't now but maybe I should. Everytime I question the decision and the timing I always come up with the same answer. It's time.
I am expecting some butterflies later.
I think I have done my homework and am prepared.

Notified the boss I was ready to go at the end of Feb. He proposed "never." We settled on mid-May...so I may end up on the 2011 list.

Add me to the list! I've been a wishy-washy FIRE-er; I did retire once (theoretically) back in 2006, but they badgered me into coming back on my terms (2 days in the office, one day at home). It's been a good gig, having a 4-day weekend every week. :whistle: But I'm done with it now!
CJ

I went that same route I retired and then was drawn back in for one or two days a week . That just solidified my will to retire and I retired a year later and never looked back .

Just out of curiosity..since how long has each one of you been planning your retirement i.e. how long ago did you decide on the date you want to retire??

I went that same route I retired and then was drawn back in for one or two days a week . That just solidified my will to retire and I retired a year later and never looked back .

Yes, my boss's boss has already asked my boss for a "statement of work" outlining what I could do when I came back to do consulting work. I'll never say never, but right now I'm not interested. I have too many other things that I want to do (hobbies, volunteering, etc).

At least they have hired someone to take over my projects. Counting down!!

Just out of curiosity..since how long has each one of you been planning your retirement i.e. how long ago did you decide on the date you want to retire??
We decided the date last year around this time. See this thread.http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/young-dreamer-at-new-personal-milestone-48471.html
I had considered leaving last year but circumstances led us to decide on March 31st of 2011. I will be 60 soon and that also had some bearing on the decision.

Well, I've wanted to RE for many years. I "did" RE, but then came back to work (I don't think I was mentally ready), and the 3-day-per-week gig has been good for almost 4 years. The middle of last year, I decided it was enough. We have a very busy time in October pumping out very high-level reports, and I am one of the key people responsible. So I told my boss in June or so that I'd go through October one more time to give her a chance to train someone else through the process. Once I have gotten through October, though, I figured I might as well stay for the year-end bonus, and a January contribution to the retirement plan. :whistle: I'm no dummy. I had initially said I'd go March 1, but after some arm-twisting, I gave in and postponed that to March 31. I figured with vacation, I could work 2 days a week in March. April is a good tome to go anyway, with the spring and all...

Once I have gotten through October, though, I figured I might as well stay for the year-end bonus, and a January contribution to the retirement plan. :whistle: I'm no dummy. I had initially said I'd go March 1, but after some arm-twisting, I gave in and postponed that to March 31. I figured with vacation, I could work 2 days a week in March. April is a good tome to go anyway, with the spring and all...
Uh oh. Sounds like the dreaded "just one more month" syndrome to me! Careful or you'll be through October saying "might as well stay for the bonus" again...:)

LOL, REW. I don't think that is going to happen!! I'm hoping everyone here will keep me focused. :)

I barely made it into the class of 2011--retirement date was 01-01-2011. My butterflies are around seeing if our projections on finances were right. On 1-25-11 I get my first pension check; on 1-31-11 I get paid for 225 hours vacation leave (basically an additional month). It will be after that, I think, when I get a real feel for month-to-month cash flow.

And then that'll get blown (the routine, not the cash flow) as we take a postponed trip to Jamaica (low cost as trips go..low season, FF miles, less-expensive lodgings, friends to hang out with).

Feb 15 is my last work day. March 15 is my last official day, so I'll be on the payroll for a month without working, as a way for them to increase my severance in return for some extra work I did to train my replacements. This has been in the works since early fall, but the date wasn't set until December.

I think we're supposed to build a list (showing our age at retirement), to be expanded as the year goes along. Here's a stab, feel free to add or correct:

bizlady?
cj
dessert
kwblack
Midpack (57)
Purron DH
RunningBum

I think we're supposed to build a list (showing our age at retirement), to be expanded as the year goes along. Here's a stab, feel free to add or correct:

bizlady?
cj
dessert (60)
kwblack
Midpack (57)
Purron DH
RunningBum
Although I am 59 now, I'll be 60 when I officially join the class.

First post, I am excited and very nervous to be retiring the end of May 2011. My husband will be 56 and I will be 53 when we close our office.... Can't wait, but am nervous about the change.

"Do you guys have butterflies in your stomachs?" No, not yet. I think we will a bit as the time comes, but I also believe we are ready.

"Just out of curiosity..since how long has each one of you been planning your retirement i.e. how long ago did you decide on the date you want to retire??"
We picked this date in our early 30's. Saved diligently, LBYM, and had some good luck along the way with opportunity. Not always easy, but always focused and never let go of the dream....

"I think we're supposed to build a list (showing our age at retirement), to be expanded as the year goes along. Here's a stab, feel free to add or correct:"

bizlady 55 (sorry- do not know how to edit the list)

I retire effective 3/1/11and it can't come too soon for me... we planed this date over a year ago but actually I worked my whole life to retire by age 55 and I just barely will make it... look out 2011 here we come...

Back
Top Bottom