Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I can retire at the end of 2013, which means my first day of retirement can be 01/01/2014. I'll probably stay an additional 2-4 months as I won't be able to do much over winter (wife will still be working). It becomes a trade-off as to whether the little addition to my pension is worth the time.
On further planning, I was figuring 3/31/14 would be the official retirement date because of WEP and I wanted one more year to count in the calculation. Then I had a "Duh!!!" moment. I'll be getting paid for my personal leave, which should put me over the minimum earned income needed for the year. New retirement date is 01/31/2014.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

New here, and a member of the class of 2014! 452 days to work, which is easy to calculate as the number of days in our school year is fixed. . So the end of the school year 2014, probably around June first.

We are relocating to Cozumel, Mexico, and have already purchased a condo there. We will sell this behemoth and most of what we own. DH, who is BTravlin on this forum, will stick around one more year while his child finishes school (my kids are older), and will sell this house while I supervise some renovations in Mexico. And enjoy not getting up at 6am and dealing with 180 teenagers every day! Come on 2014!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #43

Just thought I would stir this ole thread up and bring it to the top again. I have 1 year 6 months and some odd days today! 1/1/2014 is when I retire. I will be one one the first retirement babies reborn in 2014.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! It's always seemed to me that the 18-month mark is a kind of milestone: close enough to taste freedom and start letting the small stuff slide; but, still time left to adjust one's financial plans, should that be needed.

May the time fly by for you!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Just thought I would stir this ole thread up and bring it to the top again. I have 1 year 6 months and some odd days today! 1/1/2014 is when I retire. I will be one one the first retirement babies reborn in 2014.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I've crunched the numbers a gazillion times and if the markets do not tank in the next two years I think I will be good to go on March 31, 2014. That's only 659 days away!

Now let's hope I don't catch "one more year" syndrome!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #46

That's not very long Mead. I'm ready to go, and get excited just thinking about all the things I want to do!

Here's a good countdown timer to keep you on track...
TimeLeft - Free clock, reminder, countdown, stopwatch, timer, sticker, auction watch and time synchronization utility using Winamp skins to show digits and text.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #47

I'm hoping to be part of the class of 2014... depends on the market not tanking and not having a RIF cause it to be sooner.

Tentative plans for 2/1/2014. DH turns 62 in jan 2014 and is strongly considering retiring then... if he does, so do I.

But if megacorp lays me off prior - I'm not looking for a new j*b.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm hoping to be part of the class of 2014... depends on the market not tanking and not having a RIF cause it to be sooner.

Tentative plans for 2/1/2014. DH turns 62 in jan 2014 and is strongly considering retiring then... if he does, so do I.

But if megacorp lays me off prior - I'm not looking for a new j*b.
Taking my name off the list for 2014. Make it 2016.
Yeah... I know... the just one more year (or 4) syndrome.
But after tracking our spending closer, and putting in more safety factor it just seems safer for me to work to age 55. Still early - just not as early.

The hubby will still retire at age 62 in Jan 2014. That makes total financial sense.

I will still meet my goal of being 100% available to observe, meddle, and annoy my children in their teen years -when they want me to ignore them so they can cause mischief and make bad life choices. Oldest will be 16, and younger will be 14.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

467 work days to go Oct 1, 2015 is my date and looking at my app on my iphone it looks like 467 work days left. I prefer to look at work days rather than days. Actually if I look at weeks it is less than 100 weeks if I take vacation out. I 'like' the concept of two digit numbers! Checked with my financial person today and her numbers match my numbers so I am feeling good that the date is still a go. My wife will retire 3 months later.

Consulting instead of working for the man has actually been much more profitable than I anticipated AND I control my own schedule. So far things seem to be falling into place...thank god!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still hanging with the class of '14 however I may waffle a bit. We'll see how I feel when the time comes. My job pays well and is not too stressful so I'm occassionally having second thoughts. I don't want that to happen after I retire.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Still too early to add DW's name to the list, but over the holidays she expressed the desire to retire in 2014. While she loves her job, she can't take the corporate world anymore.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #52

2014 is looking very tempting for my retirement. Our youngest chlid, last one left in the house, is planning to stay within our state for college, and we will easily be able to manage that expense. Early last year our financial planner and FIRE indicated 2015 as a good year. But we had good gains in our investment portfolio this year so it has got me thinking of retiring sometime in 2014 (assuming I don't get laid off in 2013 ).
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am jumping ship from the Class of '14; retirement is now May 24, 2013. The second school is out!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #54

Awww, Heather! You are supposed to put it off another year...not go forward!

What changed to make you move ahead a year?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

Redbugdave, I just can't take it anymore. The kids, the administrivia, the no raise in god knows how many years, the increasing responsibilities without compensation.....yeah, I'm done.

Financially we are fine, although DH stresses unnecessarily. I'm ready to move to Cozumel full time, which will happen this summer!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Redbugdave, I just can't take it anymore. The kids, the administrivia, the no raise in god knows how many years, the increasing responsibilities without compensation.....yeah, I'm done.

Financially we are fine, although DH stresses unnecessarily. I'm ready to move to Cozumel full time, which will happen this summer!
Class dismissed!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #57

Cozumel! Great! It's time to get on with life! Summer will be here before you know it. Life is good.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
My retirement deadline is 2016, which is what my profile says. But, I'd retire (or semi-retire) earlier if possible. Fidelity Retirement Income Planner says I can retire in 2014 so, I suppose I'm a member of The ER Class of 2014.

Nice to meet you all - Classmates!
Well, I'm going to convert my somewhat fuzzy commitment ("Fidelity Retirement Income Planner says I can retire in 2014 so, I suppose I'm a member of The ER Class of 2014.") into a real commitment.

I just lost my mother and have watched/am watching several work colleagues go through debilitating (and sometimes fatal) diseases. I'm seeing the clock, and it seems much closer to midnight than I've ever perceived it. I know 'they say' (whoever 'they' are) that one should not make life decisions in times of grief but, this just feels like the right decision.

So, there we go...2014 it is.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #59

Signing up for the class of 2014. Obamacare/PPaca was the last piece of the puzzle and I think we should be good to go with a 3% withdrawal rate.

I suspect I will start having second thoughts as the year draws closer. Mathematically, I know the 3% is fairly conservative but when I think about the actual dollar amount it seems crazy to spend that much without a steady income.

The other kink is that we will need to sell our home and figure out where we want to move. We're currently in silicon valley and the mortgage, while affordable, would blow the budget in ER. Looking at various locales but having a hard time deciding even on a short list. Some places we are considering are albuquerque/santa fe, denver/boulder/fort collins/etc, portland, seattle and other less costly areas in CA.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
2014 is looking very tempting for my retirement. Our youngest chlid, last one left in the house, is planning to stay within our state for college, and we will easily be able to manage that expense. Early last year our financial planner and FIRE indicated 2015 as a good year. But we had good gains in our investment portfolio this year so it has got me thinking of retiring sometime in 2014 (assuming I don't get laid off in 2013 ).
Well, I think I will now "officially" declare myself a member of the class of 2014. I am going to target June 30, 2014 for my retirement date. By that time I will be 56 with 35 years at my Megacorp. We will have paid about half of our youngest child's college tuition out of my salary, so there will be little impact of that on our retirement savings. The big unknown is health insurance, but with Obamacare now coming out it is making it easier to plan for that.

Life is full of unknowns so one can never be certain, but for me it is best to put a stake in the ground and plan for it. Joining this forum certainly helped, it has given us more confidence that we are well prepared for FIRE.

Tags