Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Late Jan 14 @ just shy of 46 for me, however with unused vacation leave I will probably finish up late Nov or early Dec 12.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
As you can tell by my Name, I TRULY want to retire in 2014. I really really really want to. So let's hope and, yes, plan, as well, for us all to be able to retire in 2014. Here's to our Class!!! Let's stay in touch and post from time to time to see if all of us are still on track. And encourage one another toward our goal.

Having reached 3% SWR and also getting laid off by my employer, I will join the Class of 2013 instead.

I will keep reading this thread since I have always identified with the Class of 2014 as you can tell by my Forum name.

Retire2014
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Have the date now. Dec 16, 2014 for my wife (I still plan on Oct 2, 2014), but with judicious use of her vacation she is planning on Nov 1,2014.

The end is in sight!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

October 31,2014 or before
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

My boss some time ago sent out an email stating that any direct reports of his who are past 50 are expected to give him a two year notice for the planned retirement date. My planned date is exactly my 50th birthday in August 2014, so I guess all I need to do is to give a 5 minute notice then?
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
My boss some time ago sent out an email stating that any direct reports of his who are past 50 are expected to give him a two year notice for the planned retirement date. My planned date is exactly my 50th birthday in August 2014, so I guess all I need to do is to give a 5 minute notice then?
Hope you get to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD3C View Post
October 31,2014 or before
FLD3C, I think you just set a new record for the shortest / longest first post. That is, short in words but long in getting around to post. Welcome aboard.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My boss some time ago sent out an email stating that any direct reports of his who are past 50 are expected to give him a two year notice for the planned retirement date.
That doesn't seem right. Geez.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #68

What are they going to do if you don't give enough notice? fire you?
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sure that is not legally enforceable.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure it is legal. Hearing this makes me crazy.

Does your company give a 2 year notice before they lay you off?

If your contract is non-existent, i.e. "at will", then forget about it. They can drop you at a moment. Why should you give them the courtesy?

Companies have burned up their privilege cards with their behavior in downsizings.

Of course, if you have a great relationship with your boss, out of personal courtesy it would be nice to give a warning of more than 2 weeks. But 2 years? Really? In two years, my Megacorp will have gone through at least 2 boom-bust hiring/firing cycles. To ask me for more than a few months (which seems to be their myopic schedule) would be hypocritical beyond belief.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Not sure it is legal. Hearing this makes me crazy.

Does your company give a 2 year notice before they lay you off?

If your contract is non-existent, i.e. "at will", then forget about it. They can drop you at a moment. Why should you give them the courtesy?

Companies have burned up their privilege cards with their behavior in downsizings.

Of course, if you have a great relationship with your boss, out of personal courtesy it would be nice to give a warning of more than 2 weeks. But 2 years? Really? In two years, my Megacorp will have gone through at least 2 boom-bust hiring/firing cycles. To ask me for more than a few months (which seems to be their myopic schedule) would be hypocritical beyond belief.
Of course it is not "legal" to require it formally, but he can ask and people can respond or not. His rationale for this time is to make sure that the succession planning is well in place for the senior management team. Why this amuses me is that it just did not dawn to my boss that any one of us would be planning on retirement below 55 years of age.

I also had asked my most senior report to give me a 3 year warning so we can train his successor really well (a technical position requiring lots of skill and experience). He retired last year and gave me two months. That's how well it worked for me, but I survived.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #72

With the recent run-up in equities, we hit our number. Seems pretty scary the thought of pulling the plug -- I guess now I can really experience the angst of OMY syndrome.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Our employee handbook says they'd like at least a month's notice for any salary personnel. At this point, they've only earned two weeks. The two places where I did give advance notice, made it seem like they wanted me out quicker (afraid of short-timers attitude?), so I accommodated them. So it's not without precedence for only giving them the two no matter what they request.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #74

It depends upon the relationship you have with your employer. If they have treated you well in the past, providing reasonable notice is probably the decent thing to do. If they have given you (or co-workers) a hard time, well, what goes around comes around ...

When I FIRE'd last year, I gave two months' notice of my departure. It was received with surprise, but I was treated with courtesy throughout (it was a bit strange to be a 'lame duck', but not unpleasant!).
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #75

Sign me up for the class of 2014. I appreciate the discussion about length of notice, too, since that was something I have been contemplating (far in advance). I'll probably give a month or two.

My retirement target date is Sept. 1, 2014. 17 months and 2 weeks.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

oops--looking back through this thread I see I put Oct 2, 2015 and I meant 2014!!! Big difference. My wife got her final date set now too Dec 28, 2014 and with good planning on her vacation she plans on being out of there on Nov 1. The Oct 2 date is my 55th birthday and it just seemed like the right date--nothing is setting it other than that.

With the recent run on the market our numbers look better than ever but we need to get to Dec 28th so she gets her pension. Too close to walk away from that!
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #77

I like this thread. It's nice to have a bunch of people in the same boat as you. The shore is a ways a way still, but it's within sight.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #78

I didn't read the thread from the beginning, but it seems like October is a popular month. Is there a specific common motivation in that timing?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

ER Eddie you should find an app that figures out your work days left--that is much better than 17 months and 2 weeks. I am retiring a month after you and according to the app on my phone, I have 363 days left. See doesn't that sound more manageable than 18 months and 2 weeks? I mean it almost makes it sound like less than a year! And it is, in actual working days.

Sengsational for me, October is my birthday month, nothing magical other than that.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
With the recent run on the market our numbers look better than ever but we need to get to Dec 28th so she gets her pension. Too close to walk away from that!
Just curious, but will you be rebalancing your portfolio once you retire to lock in any of the recent gains? If not, should we have another crash, will it cause you to reconsider your ER date?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags