Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Just curious, but will you be rebalancing your portfolio once you retire to lock in any of the recent gains? If not, should we have another crash, will it cause you to reconsider your ER date?

No we wouldn't reconsider. I am comfortable with retiring right now to be honest but her pension isn't huge but big enough to be a consideration. I also plan on doing some projects after I retire which would bring income in. I am just retiring from feeling 'obligated' to bring money in. As an Architect I can consult and/or just do small project that interest me when I want/need to. The gains are just icing on the cake is how I look at it.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

June 16, 2014! The day after my 55th!
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
June 16, 2014! The day after my 55th!
Congrats on making your decision. Now that the finish line is in sight, I hope the last few months at work will go well for you. Wishing you the best!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been in the 2017 class mentally for awhile, as DW can get early SS then. Some health news recently has us really looking at 2014. We can do it, but it's scary. Amazing how a health scare can readjust your priorities.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #85

The way things are going, I may as well be part of the 2014 class. Had a good day today.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

May 1, 2014 is my tentative date. I've finally felt comfortable telling my partners this is my plan.
I've found out that the idea of ER is sort of a disease that consumes you once you start thinking abut it.
I am starting to get a creeping short-timers syndrome at work and I'm not entirely sure it is healthy.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #87

I would like to join the class of 2014. My targeted last working day is April 30, 2014.

jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #88

Welcome aboard.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everyone! After some new number crunching and considering the great input here, we are now ER 2014 members, if nothing changes. We want see what changes there will be to HI and how that will impact us. --Nomad
Nomad4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Tentatively planning ER on January 1, 2014. Recently and my "Development Review" with my boss, asking me what I want to do over the next 3-5 years. My response: "um, I really don't want to be here!"
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #91

Awww...All you new 2014 guys will turncoat and become Just One More Year Guys...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Awww...All you new 2014 guys will turncoat and become Just One More Year Guys...
Ha ha....for me, I hope not!! But you could be right! --Nomad
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #93

I think I'll be backing out of the class of 2014, or at least backing out of my commitment to retiring in 2014. Here's why, in a nutshell. I made the decision to retire at 53 (2014) because I was really pissed at some things/people in my workplace. I chose that date not because it was the best time for me, but because it was the earliest possible exit. I was pissed, and I wanted to get out as soon as I could.

Well, I've cooled off (only took 6 weeks!), and now I'm seeing less "red." I see things in a more balanced perspective. I know better than to make big, life changing decisions when I'm angry, but it took a while for me to remember that and restore a little balance. So now I'm not angry anymore, my workplace is looking a lot more friendly and tolerable (even enjoyable), and I'm not in such a hurry to find the nearest exit.

I may stick around "one more year," maybe even two. I don't feel in a hurry to get out anymore. Turns out, things looked a lot different when I cooled off. I want to pick my retirement date based on what feels right from a balanced perspective, not have that decision made in anger.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

January 3, 2014 is my retirement date, after 38 years as a Federal employee. I'll be 63, so it's not exactly ER. Woo hoo!
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As of market close today I exceeded my target number by 10k. Since the plan is to bail April 1 and DW and I will toss in another 85k between now and that date, the market can take a medium-sized dump and I will still be there. If the market keeps cruising, perhaps I can move the date up to 1/1, but not counting any chickens just yet.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I think I'll be backing out of the class of 2014, ....
Scratch that. It didn't take long for me to get fed up with my job again and change my mind. I may change it again later, who knows, but at this point, I'm back in the class of 2014.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I will retire Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2014. My last day of work is really the end of 2013, but I didn't want to make anybody come into work on New Years Eve just for me to turn in my laptop. So my official departure will be the first day or so of the new year.

Much of the programming staff like myself are out the last week or two or three at the end of the year. Just depends on how much vacation we had to put off to get every thing out during the year.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
I will retire Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2014. My last day of work is really the end of 2013, but I didn't want to make anybody come into work on New Years Eve just for me to turn in my laptop. So my official departure will be the first day or so of the new year.

Much of the programming staff like myself are out the last week or two or three at the end of the year. Just depends on how much vacation we had to put off to get every thing out during the year.
Congratulations! It will not be long now!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been wallowing through some self doubt lately, but last night provided a moment of clarity. My 8YO daughter fell and hit he head ice skating last night and I took her and her sister to the ER (DW was at choir practice and could not be reached). It was a rough night and she had to be sedated to get a CT scan, a process that required me and 4 other adults to hold her down while absorbing punches and kicks. The damage seems to be limited to a concussion only and they tell me she will make a full recovery (she does not remember the wrestling match and wanted to go to school this morning). If this had been a week where I was on the road for business I would have been distraught to say the least.

Self doubt about whether I can do this takes a serious backseat to being there for my kids.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #100

Something like that can really snap things into clarity, can't it. Money ain't everything. I'm glad she's okay.

Tags