The Class of 2014

My full retirement date will be 1/31/14. I gave notice to my 20 hour/week job in November, but negotiated working Dec. and Jan. at just 8 hours/week for transition purposes. Such a relief to be so close.

Not such happy news, my DH and I went to Kauai to celebrate and I broke my ankle on one of their slippery, muddy hiking trails. A big bummer! So I had to fly home to have surgery and now am completely bedridden. Will hopefully be cleared to start putting some weight on the leg by the time retirement day comes! Not the auspicious beginning of ER I was hoping for!

Oh that is too bad about the ankle! We have been to Kauai a few times so I know what you are talking about. The trails are super slippery especially after the rains and it rains a lot. Not to sound morbid but people have literally died by slipping off the trails and falling over cliffs. Some of those trails are very dangerous!

I hope you have full and complete healing soon!

Today is my 4th day of retirement. I can't believe how relaxed I feel. I feel like a bird let out of a cage.

I so look forward to writing what you wrote! Day 4 of retirement! I have 177 more work days. I keep thinking "Set the Captive free"!

Congrats! and they even gave you a framed certificate. Excellent

Thank you, and I got a local framed commendation and one from Wash DC.....and the surprise was a the special contribution award ($$$$$) in my last check. It was a nice end of the journey. Congrats to my fellow class of 2014 recent retirees...

image-2965586563.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, and I got a local framed commendation and one from Wash DC.....and the surprise was a the special contribution award ($$$$$) in my last check. It was a nice end of the journey. Congrats to my fellow class of 2014 recent retirees...

View attachment 17870

Wow! A special contribution award is impressive. I'm a fed and our bonuses were only 1/2 percent of salary this year given the budget cuts. Congratulations!

Wow! A special contribution award is impressive. I'm a fed and our bonuses were only 1/2 percent of salary this year given the budget cuts. Congratulations!

Thank you ABQ & what's so neat is the check prior to the last one included my FY13 performance award! Come tax time though I probably won't be able to make a final contribution to my Roth IRA.

I so look forward to writing what you wrote! Day 4 of retirement! I have 177 more work days. I keep thinking "Set the Captive free"!

Hang in there. Sometimes it will feel like those days will never pass and then all of a sudden you are set free! I will be watching for your declaration of freedom!

My DH is retiring 3.1.14. :) I semi-retired (20 hrs) 1 1/2 years ago and plan on fully retiring in 3 years.

Well, yesterday Jan 10...was my final work day. For me it was surreal. We said our goodbyes and many of my other work friends called on the phone and talked off and on during the day. Cleared out the desk, took files off the computer, turned in ID's etc, and finally left.

It is now the early morning the next day...I woke up around 5am. Thought I would sleep in till at least 6am, but could not. I have this feeling of contentment. I made it! No more worries about work or having to go somewhere on a schedule. I survived reorganization, moves, sociopaths and the big egos during my career. I am looking forward to having an unstructured life for a change and being out of doors most of the time. There's a whole wonderful world out there waiting!

I hope you guys will feel the way I do today. Just contentment and satisfaction. I think I know what a salmon feels like when it reaches that certain place after that long trip upstream.

It's raining today, (Saturday), and I had planned last week to take the dog out and help me cut some firewood. Sunday is supposed to be dry.[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Congrats Redbugdave. My official last day is today, Jan 11, 2014, the end of a pay period for Feds. I have been home using leave since Jan 2, 2014. I still get up early every morning as I would for work. I have been told it could take a few months for retirement to sink in and for me to relax.

Congratulations to both Redbugdave and Kaufmanrider! Hope it only gets better from here.

Redbugdave, congratulations on reaching your retirement goal. I definitely remember my first 'morning after', waking up before dawn like a kid on Christmas morning...
It's raining today, (Saturday), and I had planned last week to take the dog out and help me cut some firewood. Sunday is supposed to be dry.
One of the things that will change for you in retirement is a reduced focus on the fact today is Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday. Other than perhaps wanting to avoid competing with the working world who must use those two days to buy groceries and run errands, it will matter little the day of the week.

It's a small luxury, but one I really enjoy.

This is my eleventh day of retirement and loving every minute of it. DW says I have us aged 10 years already! No Sunday afternoon blues worrying about what I would face come Monday morning! I cannot believe how much stress has been lifted off my shoulders already. I can really dig this retirement gig! :). dancing!

Congrats Redbugdave. My official last day is today, Jan 11, 2014, the end of a pay period for Feds. I have been home using leave since Jan 2, 2014. I still get up early every morning as I would for work. I have been told it could take a few months for retirement to sink in and for me to relax.

Congrats Redbugdave & Kaufmanrider! We journey on a similar timeline as I retired Jan 3rd, even though the end of the pay period is Jan 11. I'm told I'll get my 1st interim check in February and my AL check Jan 17....... @Kaufmanrider, let's compare notes and see how long OPM takes to sort out the checks :)

I agree, I think it's going to take awhile for the FREEDOM to sink in. I am so stoked not to have to cram errands into the weekend. @ REWahoo, that definitely will be a luxury for me too.

Cheers, Cassie

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouragement Kaughman, Michael, Wahoo, Charles and Cassie. It's good to be in like company. I am also Federal...I see that Cassie and Kaughman probably are, too. Last day of the last pay period for 2013. I am FERS and have maxed out my TSP as well as IRA's each year. It has been paying off.

It will take a while to get in the groove and learn slow down. I am used to being goal oriented and feel like I am always having to be doing something to justify my day. I will be leaning on you guys at times for insights.

There's going to be many more folks retiring this year like us, and we will be here cheering them on.

Last edited:
It will take a while to get in the groove and learn slow down. I am used to being goal oriented and feel like I am always having to be doing something to justify my day. I will be leaning on you guys at times for insights.

I am in the same boat. Wonder how long it will take.

Congrats Redbugdave & Kaufmanrider!

My ETA is 4/1/2014. I had a retirement chat with my 80 something year old uncle a few weeks ago. I told him that I'm only working 1-2 days a week, but I'm not getting more stuff done at home, don't have time for hobbies, etc. He said that that's just the way it is - people think that they will have more time to do the things they want once they are retired, but they really don't - because retired people do things a lot slower. I can't wait.

Last edited:
My date moved from 3/28/2014 to 6/27/2014 as I was asked to stay until then to complete a transition to the new management team. I will then get severance and a bonus equivalent to a one year's salary. Not too bad of an exchange for an additional 3 months of stress free work.:dance:

My RE date is only about 6 months out and I have started to get clarification from HR on some of the rules on vesting and bonus payouts. In the past 6 months, I had secretly hoped for a layoff package with a year of severance and so was very tight lipped about my plans. Now I am starting to hear of faux "firing for performance" and wondering if I would be better off sharing my plans earlier. The thinking is that if they know I am retiring it would make it more difficult for them to come up with a "cause" and this could protect me from exiting before the bonus payout and stock option vesting this summer. It seems like a tough call...thoughts?

Planning to FIRE this year but like many here I am scared of making the jump, even if my spreadsheet says I am ok to go. Having sleepless nights - like tonight - thinking about FIREing.

My RE date is only about 6 months out and I have started to get clarification from HR on some of the rules on vesting and bonus payouts. In the past 6 months, I had secretly hoped for a layoff package with a year of severance and so was very tight lipped about my plans. Now I am starting to hear of faux "firing for performance" and wondering if I would be better off sharing my plans earlier. The thinking is that if they know I am retiring it would make it more difficult for them to come up with a "cause" and this could protect me from exiting before the bonus payout and stock option vesting this summer. It seems like a tough call...thoughts?

I think most mega corps have a somewhat similar cycle: Rating phase followed by a payout phase. Typically, there's an eligibility date (have to be employed) just to be rated, then 1-2 mos of rating, followed by another eligibility date (have to be employed) to get a bonus.

Your suggested strategy might guarantee a (smaller?) bonus versus no? bonus. I suggest you ask HR about the total cycle before making your decision. And, remember, HR works for The Company, not you.

My date moved from 3/28/2014 to 6/27/2014 as I was asked to stay until then to complete a transition to the new management team. I will then get severance and a bonus equivalent to a one year's salary. Not too bad of an exchange for an additional 3 months of stress free work.:dance:

SWEET! Congratulations and enjoy the last part of the ride toward FIRE...

Back
Top Bottom