Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #681
Recycles dryer sheets

Now in my last hour of work.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #682
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post

Congrats! Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #683
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Feeling euphoric yet?
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #684
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congrats! Enjoy, a beautiful day in the PNW to start off your retirement.
Just came in from taking pics of the combine harvesting in the pasture next to me.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #685
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone!

I am home now, and getting ready to go out for a wonderful meal with DW. I am going to try and savour every moment of my life from here on in.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #686
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Happy retirement Birth Day!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #687
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I am home now, and getting ready to go out for a wonderful meal with DW. I am going to try and savour every moment of my life from here on in.
Absolutely awesome! Congrats x100!

I cannot wait to post my 'last day'...It's going to be fabulous!!!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
The Class of 2014
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #688
Moderator Emeritus

The Class of 2014

Congrats Sea Kayaker!

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #689
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go, Sea Kayaker! Enjoy!
WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #690

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

A new life awaits! Not everyone gets a second chance in life...and now you do!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #691
Recycles dryer sheets

Needing to vent a bit...My company is playing little games related to my departure and benefits. I know how others here have been treated (benefit extension related) and I expected the same. Now, they are backing down. I was flexible with my end date-staying two extra weeks. However, doing so while accounting for the changes in benefit treatment, will actually leave me with less money after taxes. Not happy. Real moral drain. I am considering just going back to my original plan-take my toys and leave sooner than later.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #692
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
Needing to vent a bit...My company is playing little games related to my departure and benefits. I know how others here have been treated (benefit extension related) and I expected the same. Now, they are backing down. I was flexible with my end date-staying two extra weeks. However, doing so while accounting for the changes in benefit treatment, will actually leave me with less money after taxes. Not happy. Real moral drain. I am considering just going back to my original plan-take my toys and leave sooner than later.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You had reached an agreement (a "meeting of minds") regarding delaying your departure, and extension of benefits. If they've pulled their part of the deal back, it is only reasonable that you do the same, making it very clear why you are doing this.

I would bet that they have been able to negotiate in bad faith before and have gotten away with it, relying on the employee being a 'nice guy' and remaining anyway.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You had reached an agreement (a "meeting of minds") regarding delaying your departure, and extension of benefits. If they've pulled their part of the deal back, it is only reasonable that you do the same, making it very clear why you are doing this.

I would bet that they have been able to negotiate in bad faith before and have gotten away with it, relying on the employee being a 'nice guy' and remaining anyway.
Snowcat - I have to agree with M Paquette. Sounds like they bait and switched you - and you don't have to abide by the revised date... Take your toys home... what are they going to do? Fire you?
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #694

My advice is different than that above, which assumes that it's clear your employer's motivation is to screw you. I can't tell from your post if that's the case. If it is, then react accordingly. But, if you're not 100% sure, then talk to HR and assume their motivations are good until proven otherwise.

And if you decide in the end to throw down the gauntlet, be certain they can't make things worse.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #695
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
My advice is different than that above, which assumes that it's clear your employer's motivation is to screw you. I can't tell from your post if that's the case. If it is, then react accordingly. But, if you're not 100% sure, then talk to HR and assume their motivations are good until proven otherwise.

Okay, I am trying not to over react. Small organization. I am a peer (or higher) than the HR manager. She is less than proficient in these things (and many things). She is already involved in making the determination.

Not long ago, I questioned the handling of one of her employee's treatment at retirement. We were being very generous with allowing the employee to continue benefits by deferring accrued leave. I went to our boss and asked if what we did for her was done based on a (new) interpretation of our policy. I wanted to confirm it would available to everyone in the future. The answer was vague but implied it would be as long as accrued leave was available. All I am asking for is the same treatment. The interesting thing is the other employee stayed on the benefits for 4 months-I am asking for only three based on my leave balance. They are offering two months with the balance of leave paid out in 2014 vs. three months and final paid out in 2015. Their proposal makes the taxes on the payout will wipe out me working two more weeks plus I would have to start on private medical insurance sooner after my last date of work.

I am hoping clearer heads prevail tomorrow.
Graduating a few months early
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #696
Dryer sheet aficionado

Graduating a few months early

Well I was all slated to join the Class of 2015 by starting part time work now and working till mid 2015. Megacorp had other plans though and laid me off last week. I'll be getting severance till the end of the year, and then a bit of sucking off the government teat(unemployment). I guess though that I can consider myself a Class of 2014 since I won't be working anymore.

It has been a bit of a shock as I've always been able to call the shots and this time the plan was a bit early, but only by 6 months. I figure if the plan won't work if I retire 6 months earlier than expected then it wasn't a good plan to start with.

I've really gotten a lot of help here on the forum and really appreciate everyone. I believe I've got all my bases covered but can certainly use the help of these forums at any time.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #697
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to ER Club 2014!

Even if it was out of your control, congrats.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #698
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
I am hoping clearer heads prevail tomorrow.
After a good night's sleep, I decided to provide my boss with a revised letter including the date (and days worked up to the date), use of accrued leave, extension on benefits to match the time covered with available accrued leave and treatment of the final check in 2015 (contribution to retirement plan to reduce taxes).

The revised letter was received well. We agree on the date and benefit extension through January (for three months). While the use of the accruals and treatment of the final check is being considered, at least the remaining income will be in 2015 and reduce tax liability in 2014.

So I am back in happy "almost retired" spirits. Thank you to Huston55, M Paquette, and rodi for the help working through my situation.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #699
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that worked out for you, Snowcat!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #700

Also glad it's working out for you.

Enjoy the remaining time; in 3 yrs, or less, this issue will be a blip.

Tags