The flurry of ERs

I'm out the door 7/1 .. towns holding a big party for me, fire works and all, that weekend. :D ...

I was going the ER this march, but the stock market has been holding up extremly well so I have "tagged" march unit values, which means a 7/1 departure. (a good part of my pension is in a market fund run by the company). It's money for nothing ...

Maximillion said:
AltaRed, are you staying South or heading home to qualify for Ralph's latest giveaway:confused:

Heading back to Calgary due to friends and family. Ralphie is on his way out so that don't factor into it.

cj said:
Yeah!!!  AltaRed, we must be living parallel lives.  When people ask me why I am retiring so young, I tell them that I have been working full time since May of 1972 when I graduated from HS.  Later while still working full time I got my bachelor's at night and then my MBA at night.  When I have changed jobs (not very often) I never took time off between them.  I am so ready for a break!  And you are right.  Picking the date was hard, but once the date is on the calendar, there is nothing that can make me change my mind!!

My last day is 4/27, and I can't wait to enjoy a work-free May, which is one of the nicest months of the year.   :D

CJ

Great minds think alike. Hope you enjoy it every bit as much as I intend to enjoy it.

Had lunch with a realtor friend yesterday and she announced that she's quitting for good on Monday! All it took to finalize her decision was the demise of a close friend of hers at 53.

Alas...I have about two more years to work if my job isn't eliminated (which it might be in fiscal year 2007). Have an opportunity to put close to another $80,000 away by the time I'm 52 (50 now) because a side business is doing well and should do well for the next couple of years.

Think all the time about hanging it up but then that old "bag lady syndrome" rears its ugly head. So I'm planning my retirement party for 2008. I hope.

BabyApe,

I missed out on being the first here to congratulate you, so I'll settle for second. But I can still be the first to ask, "Whatya DO all day!" :D

Determining how to answer than question is a wonderful problem to have.... ;)

Woo hoo!

What are you going to do on your first day out of school?

Helpful hint: set the alarm for your usual wake-up time. When it goes off, shut it off, grin and go back to sleep.

AltaRed, I thought you were staying South?

Are you saying that Calgary is a better place to retire to than Houston??

BabyApe said:
I impusively resigned my position today and suddenly I am overcome with a sense of well being, promise for the future and optimism. 
I'm launching into this with a 3.25 SWR.
Congratulations, BabyApe.

"Impulsive" would be resigning without knowing your expenses or your net worth. 

Resigning after spending 18 months reading the ER board and being able to quote your SWR to two significant figures is a sign that you're FI and somebody at work pissed you off-- at which point you decided that you weren't going to put up with all that @#$%ing stuff anymore.

Same result either way!!

Congratulations BabyApe! I hope that you enjoy it! What are ya gonna do all day?

Dreamer

BabyApe said:
The other thing that happened today is I was walking around our small city and there was no one around except for some artists, students, self employed people etc. It was so much more enjoyable than rush hour. From now on I think I will only leave the house between 10 and 4pm.

That would be M-F. Your attitiude toward weekends will shift 180 degrees and instead of TGIF it will be TGIM. ;)

Yeah

After 12 yrs. of ER - I have to check the calender to know the day of the week.

At least - the Golden Retriever licks my face every morning 5:30 - 6:00 for his morning whize and romp outside.

Do try to avoid the morning and evening rush hours for errands during the day though.

I can't imagine anymore - that I spent thirty years commuting to work.

heh heh heh heh

Baby Ape,

I have just completed my fourth week of my retirement. I did not retire quite as spur of the moment as you did, but I did shock quite a few people who didn't think I would do it. Let me enable your retirement decision.

"Regrets, I've had a few, but too few to really mention." You can sing along if you would like.

If you are like me, you won't miss anything about work. I haven't even driven by the place in the last four weeks. I have moments of panic also, but usually about fun things like which wine goes with stuffed flounder.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

setab

BabyApe said:
I'll check in later but I'm having a lot of problems with my exit interview at the moment.  I never gave them a written resignation so my boss decided to make my termination date effective tomorrow.  Now I'm claiming that I believe I was actually fired and therefore I should get severance like everyone else that gets canned. 

Sounds legally defensible to me. After all, who can really say for sure what you said vs. what the boss heard? You can always grab a lawyer to show them you are not playing around.

Butthole. Da boss could have had a smooth transition. Now the fool has a fight on his hands with an ex employee who holds the cards.

Okay all you guys, I am going to just do it! My retirement date has been moved up to 06/02/06 and I can't wait!!!

Dreamer

It feels the best!!!! Only 42 working days left!

Dreamer

Awesome, Dreamer! You all would love this, yesterday DW turned to me and said, "hey, 12 days untill I "ER"!

Upon which I said, "well, congrats, all though I think you just signed up for work without pay!".

Back
Top Bottom